Adjusting to Linux/ Lack of confidence

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Netherprovinc3
Level 4
Level 4

Adjusting to Linux/ Lack of confidence

Post by Netherprovinc3 »

I am relatively new to Linux and whenever I run into even the smallest computer task, I start feeling very overwhelmed. Maybe that just comes with the territory. I'll give an example.

1) I was trying to combine several pages of a PDF today.
2) Libreoffice draw would not work. When I opened some of the pages, cuts off some of the words
3) So ok, I need a different PDF editor. Feeling overwhelmed at this point as I have lost a lot of confidence in computer tasks.
4) Did a web search, found some options, got overwhelmed.
5) Procrastinated for a few hours, got some other things done.
6) Came back to the task, decided that I am going to install poppler-utils but do that on a virtual machine because I'm kind of scared of messing things up.
7) When installing, got some other error message, unrelated to that installation.
8) Got help on here, fixed that.
9) Now I'm working on some other problem with the virtual machine, one that I avoided for weeks.

I guess my question is how do you get your confidence back?
Or how do you see the light at the end of the tunnel and stay optimistic?
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Adjusting to Linux/ Lack of confidence

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

You get confidence by plunging in and doing. Fortunately, the Linux system is easy to quickly backup and restore in most cases just by using Timeshift. Just take a snapshot before you try anything new.

To answer some of your questions (to the best of my knowledge; keep in mind I'm also a newbie).

1-4 If you have had any experience with Adobe Acrobat, I recommend buying Qoppa's PDF Studio Pro. They have a Linux version. There is a less expensive version that costs less than Pro. I found the Pro Version falls between Adobe Acrobat Standard and Pro in features. Unlike Adobe, PDF Studio has no expiration date; you can safely continue to use even after newer versions are released. It is not cloud or subscription based. It costs considerably less. You can try before you buy. I used it for several years when I was on Win 7 and now use it on Linux Mint 19.3. Merging PDFs in PDF Studio is easy. There is a learning curve but, once you navigate it, it's easier to use than Acrobat.

5 Procrastination can be tough to beat (I'm President of the local Procrastinators' but we haven't had a meeting yet because I keep putting it off). It will get easier once you get comfortable with whatever it is you are trying to do but, at some point, you have to force yourself to take the plunge.

I can empathize with your trepidation. Tackling something new can be terrifying but, often, after you finally dive in, you find it wasn't so bad after all. And the satisfaction of conquering another hurdle makes it worth the "fun" getting there.

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 »

Discovering solutions is what's fun! Discovering what you don't know is even more fun. And sometimes just aimless rambling is absolutely hilarious!

But seriously, no confidence level is required. We've all been rookies at something, including Linux, at some point in our lives. Problem solving is what makes life - well, livable :D

And, great forums help a lot, too!
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

Netherprovinc3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Netherprovinc3 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:50 pm
You get confidence by plunging in and doing. Fortunately, the Linux system is easy to quickly backup and restore in most cases just by using Timeshift. Just take a snapshot before you try anything new.
Thanks. Your post made me smile.
Some of the problem is feeling isolated in the endeavor. Of course the forums help but it's not the same as having a friend in real life that's diving into the challenge with you.
One thing that's positive about the experience is that I think I am developing better IT security habits. Of course, I skip it plenty, but only so many
-non-https sites
-downloads without checksums or signing keys
are getting by me before I just go elsewhere.
Of course it's a slow and unpopular process. But, it's an education, a light shined upon the "dumbed down" consumerism. With most things in life there are two paths-- the difficult path and the dangerous path.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot »

Netherprovinc3 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:32 pm
how do you see the light at the end of the tunnel and stay optimistic?
get on, to the IRC. :D

dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Post by dawgdoc »

There are several PDF editors in the software manager. A simple one, along the lines of pdftk is PDF Shuffler. It will accomplish your stated task of removing pages from a document or merging pages from two or more documents.
SYSTEMS:
HP 15-bw0017cl -- Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon (support for 80 y/o family members 1st install)
READING:
The Secret of the Ninth Planet by Donald A. Wollheim

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Netherprovinc3 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:32 pm
1) I was trying to combine several pages of a PDF today.
2) Libreoffice draw would not work. When I opened some of the pages, cuts off some of the words
3) So ok, I need a different PDF editor. Feeling overwhelmed at this point as I have lost a lot of confidence in computer tasks.
At this point, asking a question here would have been a good idea. 'Can anyone recommend a good way to combine several pages into one PDF?' would have been a fine question to ask, and would surely have netted some usable suggestions.
You're not alone in in this. So ask early, ask often. Don't wait until you are frustrated and overwhelmed.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

gittiest personITW
Level 6
Level 6

merging/adding/cutting pages from a pdf

Post by gittiest personITW »

MasterPDF is excellent for your use.
An early version doesn't have the watermark - just don't update it.....

as per jimallyn bless 'im

https://allynelectronics.com/Mint/MasterPdfEditor/

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

Install and use PdfShuffler

Code: Select all

apt install pdfshuffler
https://sourceforge.net/p/pdfshuffler/wiki/Home/

Return to “Newbie Questions”