Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
vineyridge
Level 2
Level 2

Total disaster--no OS

Post by vineyridge »

Mint 19.2

I had a dual boot system with Windows 7 and Mint. Windows 7 was installed first, with Mint afterwards. My Windows seems to have had problems that I didn't recognize as problems. I tried to use the "free" update to Windows 10, and Microsoft said it couldn't determine if my computer was capable of running Windows 10. I tried this two or three times, and all seemed well, until yesterday when Windows refused to boot. When Windows repair didn't work, I decided to reinstall Windows because I use it only to run my printer. I started the Windows install, deleted the Windows partition, and tried to format it. It wouldn't format and the install was aborted.

Apparently without Windows my Mint won't boot at all. I have disconnected the empty Windows hard drive, and Mint still won't boot. I have tried to use Boot Repair disk to give me an independent Mint, and Mint still won't boot.

I ran dmesg, and the Windows disk has a bad block. which is apparently why it won't format; gparted gives me a libpart bug, and the disk won't input or output.

I'm doing this on the Mint live CD, but I was wondering if Mint provided a non-destructive re-install so I could save my Tomboy notes, etc.

If not, would it be possible to re-install a fresh Mint, link to my old Timeshift images, and re-install my system from them?

My Mint HDD is said to be perfect by HDD Sentinel (as of the last time I was able to boot into Windows.)

Can this be fixed?

smurphos
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Total disaster--no OS

Post by smurphos »

vineyridge wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:48 pm
I'm doing this on the Mint live CD, but I was wondering if Mint provided a non-destructive re-install so I could save my Tomboy notes, etc.

If not, would it be possible to re-install a fresh Mint, link to my old Timeshift images, and re-install my system from them?
If you installed Mint with a separate /home and / partitions then you can reinstall safely, using the Something Else option in the installer to reuse the existing home partition without formatting it.

If not have you got a separate backup of your home folder (including hidden aka dot files)? Timeshift out of the box excludes the contents of your home folder.

If no backup you could copy the contents of the installation's home from the live session to a external disk and then restore from that copy after a re-installation.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

vineyridge
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vineyridge »

My Mint disk has a 25G partition with /usr, /bin, etc. and a 200G partition with my initials that has my desktop, documents, etc. I suppose that's home. I also have a 25G partition with Grub, Timeshift, systemmaps, and a bunch of other boot things. So I think I may have a separate boot partition as well.

I'm not good at computers, but I do follow directions well. So, please tell me what to expect from the reinstall and how to do it.

If needed, I could copy anything to an external Hard Disk. Fortunately all of my data (except my Tomboy Notes) is stored on the external HD.

If I wanted to upgrade to 19.3, I suppose it might be better to get 19.2 working and then upgrade instead going with a fresh install of 19.3.

I modified Timeshift to include all.

I've looked at most of the stuff in the partition with my initials, and there is very, very little worth saving because most is on the external HDD. I just want to be sure to keep the links between the programs and the data, so the new Tomboy will be able to open the old Tomboy notes. I've looked all over for the actual notes in the 25 G volume (which is going to need to be expanded) and cannot figure out where they are.

smurphos
Level 14
Level 14

Post by smurphos »

Tomboy notes should be in your home folder in this location as individual files ~/.local/share/tomboy

Can you run the command sudo blkid from the live session to confirm what partitions you've got.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

vineyridge
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vineyridge »

Quick question: if I wanted to save the files in the Tomboy location you cited, would I need to use the ~ in a File Manager search? I just looked around in File Manager and can't seem to find anything in my 200G partition that is labelled with my name.

I ran the blkid command, and here is a screen shot of the result:
Screenshot from 2020-01-16 14-54-57.png

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp »

when you login, your logged in directory will be of your user name. After logging in

Code: Select all

pwd
will show it.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

vineyridge
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vineyridge »

deepakdeshp--I don't understand. My current situation is that I cannot log into my hard drive. My bios says I have no operating system, so I am using the 19.2 Live CD.

I originally set up my computer with separate HDDs for Windows and for Linux. The Windows drive failed because of a bad block, and after I wiped that disk, the Linux disc refuses to boot. The broken drive is no longer connected, and the Linux drive still won't boot.

The Linux drive has a "home" partition of 200G with virtually nothing on it. Root has its own 25G partition; and there is another 25G partition that seems to be boot.

I'm trying to restore the boot part of my system, so I can access my Tomboy Notes and some other programs.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can mount your home directory booting from live USB and access your files on the HDD. Not necessary to boot from HDD to access files on the HDD.
https://googleweblight.com/i?u=https:// ... t&hl=en-IN
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

vineyridge
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vineyridge »

Here's a new quirk. All of my partitions on that disk show are mounted and show up in GParted. But the Disks program only shows the two 25G Partitions and says that I have 950G of free space. The 200G partition is still accessible in File Manager. All of the HDD partitions appear on the desktop.

With all the HDD partitions mounted, how would I go about getting Tomboy Notes to run? Then I could copy all of the notes to text and put them on my external drive.

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

vineyridge wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:48 pm
Mint 19.2

I had a dual boot system with Windows 7 and Mint...
I decided to reinstall Windows because...
I deleted the Windows partition...

Apparently without Windows my Mint won't boot at all.... would it be possible to re-install a fresh Mint,...

My Mint HDD is said to be perfect by HDD Sentinel

Can this be fixed?
I wouldn't get in too big of a hurry to reinstall...of course you can.
"can this be fixed" most likely.

OK, Don't know for sure, so this is a guess, but
it seems that by deleting the windows partition / drive "caused" mint to no longer boot.
Is it possible that grub was on that drive ?
It surely wouldn't hurt to make sure grub is installed on your mint drive.

manually install grub.
EDIT, link removed as the one by @deepakdeshp below is better.

Be nice if you posted output of that here sudo fdisk -l
Last edited by rickNS on Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

vineyridge wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:09 pm
Here's a new quirk. All of my partitions on that disk show are mounted and show up in GParted. But the Disks program only shows the two 25G Partitions and says that I have 950G of free space. The 200G partition is still accessible in File Manager. All of the HDD partitions appear on the desktop.
Windows "boot repair" has broken partition table.

PS. Was this an Acer computer?

vineyridge
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vineyridge »

Not ACER. It's built on an ASUS motherboard. 2009 computer. There is a GRUB folder on this HDD in the boot partition. I haven't looked into it, but when I originally installed Mint, I put GRUB on the same HDD, then later GRUB got put on the Windows HHD as well, as I recall, but I might be misremembering..

Is it possible to fix the partition table from the Live CD?

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

vineyridge wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:22 pm
Is it possible to fix the partition table from the Live CD?
Yes, using TestDisk

Code: Select all

apt install testdisk
sudo testdisk
TestDisk Step By Step -> https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

vineyridge
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vineyridge »

I'm running Test Disk now. After search, it found two HPFS-NTFS partitions that GParted didn't find. I'm running Deeper Seach now.

My two external drives are both NTFS. Would that explain the presence of the two hidden NTFS partitions? If not, would my machine not boot into Linux because of them? Test Disk said that all my Linux partitions were "OK".
Screenshot from 2020-01-16 22-17-38.png
I just got this warning message on Deeper Search. Is it something to be worried about?
Last edited by vineyridge on Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

vineyridge wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:22 pm
There is a GRUB folder on this HDD in the boot partition. I haven't looked into it, but when I originally installed Mint, I put GRUB on the same HDD, (2) then later GRUB got put on the Windows HHD as well, as I recall, but I might be misremembering..
NOT the same thing. Having a grub folder does not mean grub is installed on the first sector of the disk.

(2)"if" that's the case, that's about what I thought. Which is why it won't boot.

vineyridge
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vineyridge »

rickNS--does that mean that I need to reinstall GRUB to show that Windows isn't present?

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

vineyridge wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:22 pm
rickNS--does that mean that I need to reinstall GRUB to show that Windows isn't present?
No nothing to do with windows...as you said above, that no longer exists.
vineyridge wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:59 pm
My two external drives are both NTFS. Would that explain the presence of the two hidden NTFS partitions? If not, would my machine not boot into Linux because of them?
Those other drives have nothing to do with it either.

You need to install grub (if it isn't there) so that Linux Mint CAN boot.

still like to see results of sudo fdisk -l way more valuable than blkid, then "we" could see all your partitions, their sizes, etc..

vineyridge
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vineyridge »

Here is the result of the deeper search by testdisk:
Screenshot from 2020-01-17 00-01-34.png
So what do I do now?

And a major question: I have to set the partition characteristics. In this list, my first Linux partition has GRUB, my second Linux partition has Root. My third has home, the rest are blank space, and the linux swap file. I'm assuming that I should leave all the NTFS areas as deleted. Is the partition with GRUB my primary bootable one? Or is it the one with /?

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp »

Grub is installed on the disk not a partition i.e. it's installed on sda
https://googleweblight.com/i?u=https:// ... g&hl=en-IN
Regards,
Deepak

vineyridge
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vineyridge »

Then what terminal command do I give to tell GRUB that I no longer have windows. There are all these bits of Windows scattered around my hard disk.

Return to “Installation & Boot”