MAC boot problem, looking for help please!

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 3
Level 3

MAC boot problem, looking for help please!

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

Hi. I'm looking for any possible help getting an 8-10 year old iMac to boot from an external usb drive with Cinnamon 19.2 installed on it.

It will live boot to Cinnamon 19.2 from a usb stick drive just fine. Pressing the Option key on power up gives the EFI icon for the live boot drive and it boots right up. However, replacing the live boot drive with a different usb stick drive with Cinnamon 19.2 installed on it, upon power up and pressing the Option key there is no EFI icon so for some reason the Mac does not detect this usb drive. I know it's a good install because it boots on two other computers.

Is there some way to make this iMac detect the external drive with the installed os? Any questions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

System Info:
System:
Host: mint Kernel: 4.15.0-54-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3 Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Machine:
Type: Desktop System: Apple product: iMac10,1 v: 1.0 serial: <filter>
Mobo: Apple model: Mac-F2268DC8 serial: <filter> UEFI: Apple
v: 215.0.0.0.0 date: 06/14/2019
CPU:
Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo E7600 bits: 64 type: MCP
arch: Penryn rev: A L2 cache: 3072 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 12206
Speed: 1592 MHz min/max: 1596/3059 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1611 2: 1595
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD RV730/M96-XT [Mobility Radeon HD 4670] vendor: Apple
driver: radeon v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: ati,radeon
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 2560x1440~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD RV730 (DRM 2.50.0 / 4.15.0-54-generic LLVM 8.0.0)
v: 3.3 Mesa 19.0.2 direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: NVIDIA MCP79 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus ID: 00:08.0
Device-2: AMD RV710/730 HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 4000 series] vendor: Apple
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.1
Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-54-generic
Network:
Device-1: NVIDIA MCP79 Ethernet driver: forcedeth v: kernel port: 21e0
bus ID: 00:0a.0
IF: enp0s10 state: down mac: <filter>
Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter
vendor: Apple AirPort Extreme driver: ath9k v: kernel port: 1000
bus ID: 03:00.0
IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 935.26 GiB used: 77.4 MiB (0.0%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Hitachi model: HDE721010SLA330 size: 931.51 GiB
temp: 49 C
ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB model: SMI USB size: 3.75 GiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 3.89 GiB used: 77.4 MiB (1.9%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 43.0 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 938
Info:
Processes: 189 Uptime: 5m Memory: 7.79 GiB used: 1.22 GiB (15.7%)
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.19
inxi: 3.0.32

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: MAC boot problem, looking for help please!

Post by deepakdeshp »

Some information on installing Mint on a Mac.
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1643
Last edited by Moem on Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary Google referrers from an informative link
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

absque fenestris
Level 7
Level 7

Post by absque fenestris »

Intel-based Macs support starting from an external USB storage device’s volume that has been formatted with a GUID partition type. If you wish to boot from the drive, it’s important to format the partition as “GUID Partition Table” rather than either of the other two ahead of time when you use that drive as a bootable drive.
Is the partitioning type correct? Does the USB stick appear on OSX > "Startup Disk" as a bootable medium?

https://www.isumsoft.com/it/how-to-boot ... usb-drive/
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:36 am
Some information on installing Mint on a Mac.
https://googleweblight.com/i?u=https:// ... 3&hl=en-IN
Thanks, I'll check this out!

1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

absque fenestris wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:49 am
Intel-based Macs support starting from an external USB storage device’s volume that has been formatted with a GUID partition type. If you wish to boot from the drive, it’s important to format the partition as “GUID Partition Table” rather than either of the other two ahead of time when you use that drive as a bootable drive.
Is the partitioning type correct? Does the USB stick appear on OSX > "Startup Disk" as a bootable medium?

I'll try and look into all this a little later but to briefly answer your questions, not sure about partition type and no it does not appear in "Startup Disk". However, the live boot drive does!

How does a live boot operating system installation differ from a "regular" install. Just trying to understand why one shows up but the other doesn't?

Thanks!

absque fenestris
Level 7
Level 7

Just for fun:
Running Multiple OSes on one computer

When you install Ubuntu (or any GNU/Linux) onto your "NewWorld" Apple Macintosh PowerPC G3, G4 or G5 computer you can choose to boot between two or more operating systems. Ubuntu installs a "boot loader" called yaboot (Yet Another BOOTloader) to allow you to select which OS you'd like to boot.
Note: Newer G3, G4 or G5 Macintoshes provide an alternate method to choose which OS boots. Hold down the option key when you turn on or restart your computer and you will be presented with a list of the operating systems installed on your computer.
If you only have Ubuntu installed on your computer, yaboot loads the "kernel" and gets things started. However, if you also have Mac OS (8 or 9) and/or Mac OS X installed yaboot allows you to choose which OS you'd like to boot into.
Setting which OS yaboot automatically loads
After you install Ubuntu you will encounter a list of operating systems when you turn on or restart your computer, and, unfortunately for "newbies", Linux is set as the default. yaboot is the application that controls this list and the list will look something like this (Note: there will be variations determined by what operating systems are installed on your computer):

l - linux = only Debian with GNOME 2 worked...
m - macos = Mac OS 9.2 (!)
x - macosx = Mac OSX 10.4
c - cdrom

etc.
This gave me so much headache about 12 years ago that I swore that in the future I would only choose the simplest variants: either OSX or Linux... :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Pulegium
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pulegium »

absque fenestris wrote:

On my late 2008 MacBook I am able to boot from a USB with Mint 19.3 installed on it which is formatted to MBR / DOS .
However the USB stick does not appear on OSX > "Startup Disk" as a bootable medium .

absque fenestris
Level 7
Level 7

Below is my SSD in a MacBook 2009. The SSD first ran with OSX 10.5, then I completely overwritten it with the Linux-Mint-Installation from the ISO-DVD:

Disks Mac 2009.png
GParted Mac 2009.png

Code: Select all

ms@Book ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: Book Kernel: 4.4.0-148-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
           Desktop: MATE 1.12.0 (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana) Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine:   System: Apple product: MacBookPro5 4 v: 1.0
           Mobo: Apple model: Mac-F22587A1 v: MacBookPro5 4
           Bios: Apple v: MBP53.88Z.00AC.B03.0906151647 date: 06/15/09
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo P8700 (-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 10082
           clock speeds: max: 2527 MHz 1: 1596 MHz 2: 798 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA C79 [GeForce 9400M] bus-ID: 03:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1440x900@59.9hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 9400M/integrated/SSE2
           GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.107 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card NVIDIA MCP79 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:08.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-148-generic
Network:   Card-1: NVIDIA MCP79 Ethernet driver: forcedeth port: 21e0 bus-ID: 00:0a.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Broadcom BCM4322 802.11bgn Wireless Network Controller
           driver: wl bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 240.1GB (38.7% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WDS240G2G0A size: 240.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 213G used: 80G (40%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.29GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:49C
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 183 Uptime: 6 min Memory: 698.2/7706.9MB
           Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28 
By the way: I know that Mint 17.3 is outdated... :mrgreen:

1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

Pulegium wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:04 pm
absque fenestris wrote:

On my late 2008 MacBook I am able to boot from a USB with Mint 19.3 installed on it which is formatted to MBR / DOS .
However the USB stick does not appear on OSX > "Startup Disk" as a bootable medium .
Soooo, how do you get it to boot if it doesn't show up? Is there something you do on start up or does it just boot to the usb once you plug it in?
Thanks.

1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

absque fenestris wrote:

As I stated earlier, no the usb w/installed os does no show in "Startup Disk", but the live boot usb does. And now I know that they are all MBR!

So I guess this is going to be a huge learning curve for me 'cause although I'm familiar with the term MBR I really know nothing about MBR vs GUID vs ???, etc. However, after looking through all links & info I guess what I should take away is that possibly, just possibly, a usb drive formatted w/GUID partition might work better for this old Mac. Also, if I understand correctly, during the installation process you get an option to choose either an MBR or GUID partition. I don't recall ever seeing that step during the installations I've done but probably wouldn't have recognized it anyway!

So unless I hear otherwise I think I may try and reinstall 19.2 or 19.3 on a usb and try to set it up w/GUID partition. Any suggestions on how to best proceed would be appreciated.

But that still leaves a question in that both my live boot usb drives and both usb drives with installed LINUX os are all MBR!
Any idea why it can see & boot from the live boot usb w/the MBR partition but can't even see other usb drives?

Thanks.

Pulegium
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pulegium »

Soooo, how do you get it to boot if it doesn't show up? Is there something you do on start up or does it just boot to the usb once you plug it in?
Thanks.
I plug in the USB key and turn on my laptop . It boots to rEFInd from where I can select the live install USB key and boot to it .

Alternately I plug it in and turn on my laptop while holding down the "Option" key . In this case it boots to the Mac boot manager screen from where I select the yellow "EFI" drive .

My bootable ISO does not show up in "Startup Disk" either . It is none the less visible in rEFInd and the Mac boot manager .

I suggest that when you make your next Live install USB key that you do so via Mac OS on your iMac . Initialise and format it in "Disk Utility" before installing Mint on it .

Try using a different USB key , perhaps the one you are using has some minor fault . Also try running "First Aid" on your iMac and reboot , perhaps there is some hiccup in the system that is preventing it from booting off your USB keys .

MBR Partitioning should be fine as it's universal . I have a number of USB ISO keys for installing different Linux distros . All are MBR and my mac sees them without trouble . I even installed OS Capitan on my 2008 MacBook with a live USB ISO using MBR partitioning . The only GUID USB key I have is for installing Mojave .

Could you please tell us which version of Mac OS you are running ? It might provide some clues .

1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

Pulegium wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:58 pm
I suggest that when you make your next Live install USB key that you do so via Mac OS on your iMac . Initialise and format it in "Disk Utility" before installing Mint on it .

Could you please tell us which version of Mac OS you are running ? It might provide some clues .
I like that idea, do the install on the MAC, why didn't I think of that? I'll give that a try soon.

In addition I've just run across rEFInd so I'll read up on installation & use. Also, I think I may have misstated where/how the two different drives show up on the Mac. The live boot drive does show up in the Boot Manager w/EFI icon and it will boot up & works just fine. But the usb drive w/installed os does not show in Boot Manager. However, as recall, it does show up in Startup Disk but it appears that there is nothing at all on it. And sometimes there is a popup w/something like "drive/device is unusable/can't read", etc.

The MAC OS is High Sierra, version 10.13.6. That's all that "About this Mac" gives and from what I understand this may well be the last os update this thing can handle. The complete system information printout is in my very first post, maybe there is something in there that could be helpful.

Anyway, you've given me homework and something to think about, thanks!

Return to “Installation & Boot”