Files with an X on them.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Kevinmatthew
Level 1
Level 1

Files with an X on them.

Post by Kevinmatthew »

I am trying to switch to Linux from Apple. I went to iPhoto and exported all 18,000 pictures to a folder. I exported the copy files to an external hard drive formatted to Apple’s journaled format. after copying the files to my new Lennix mint computer, only 7000 of the pictures made it. It had some errors on a few particular images but really gave limited information as to what the error was. However, I noticed several of the images on the external hard drive in Linux had an X on them. I read on another forum here how to go back to the original folder, right click, and open as root in order to delete a file with limited permissions. I tried this method on the external hard drive by right clicking, opening as root, then from the window that showed I had elevated privileges I again tried to copy the files to the computer. I had the same results.
I am brand new to Lenix and know basically nothing about the command line.
Respectfully,
Kevin

absque fenestris
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Files with an X on them.

Post by absque fenestris »

Your external hard disk in Mac HFS+ Journaled format should be easily readable by Linux Mint. To avoid a read / write conflict between Mac and Linux, I would disable Journaling - from the Mac with the hard disk utility.
Are all the pictures on the external hard drive available and readable under Linux?
If so, maybe split the images into multiple folders before copying them to the Linux hard drive ...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

absque fenestris
Level 7
Level 7

Addendum:
I personally never used iPhoto, but many of my customers ... at some point iPhoto filled up their hard drive and then they called me. iPhoto works internally with copies of copies of copies. Depending on what you have done in iPhoto, you have saved many photos multiple times. For example, 7,000 of 18,000 photos may or may not correspond to the actual number of original photos available. That's why I never used iPhoto ...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Kevinmatthew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kevinmatthew »

No the files are not accessible from the hard drive on Linux. I will try copying them in increments. Thank you.

absque fenestris
Level 7
Level 7

Kevinmatthew wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:11 pm
No the files are not accessible from the hard drive on Linux. I will try copying them in increments. Thank you.
There's something wrong - your photos should be readable and viewable directly from the external disc - just like text, music and film files.
Take a look with Synaptics Package Manager whether everything that appears under the search input "mac" and "hfs" is loaded in your Linux.

Kevinmatthew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kevinmatthew »

Now that may be exactly what has happened with the copies of copies as copies.

absque fenestris
Level 7
Level 7

Kevinmatthew wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:20 pm
Now that may be exactly what has happened with the copies of copies as copies.
Just to speak of the same thing: Apple introduced a new file system again two or three years ago, as they also replaced JPG with HEIC ...
Is your Mac a very young one, less than 3 year old?

Kevinmatthew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kevinmatthew »

It is a 2014 model. I bet if I painfully went through all the pictures I would find duplicates upon duplicates. Problem is I am not goin to but at the same time I don’t want to risk losing some. I guess there is no way.

absque fenestris
Level 7
Level 7

Kevinmatthew wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:03 pm
It is a 2014 model. I bet if I painfully went through all the pictures I would find duplicates upon duplicates. Problem is I am not goin to but at the same time I don’t want to risk losing some. I guess there is no way.
My compassion. It wasn't nice to make customers, friends and relatives aware of this damn mouse trap ...

Kevinmatthew
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kevinmatthew »

After I reformatted the external hard drive into MS DOS, I was able to copy and access the files with an "X" on them to my Linux mint machine. Thank you for your reply absque.

Return to “Newbie Questions”