Start Menu resize [Too large] [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
BlackoutSampler
Level 1
Level 1

Start Menu resize [Too large] [SOLVED]

Post by BlackoutSampler »

Right, so I just recently switched to Linux, and have Linux Mint 19.3, Cinnamon Edition.

While I was fidgeting with the display I somehow managed to enlarge the start menu far past the top of the screen. I've been back and forth on these menus trying to find a way to bring it back down to workable size, but no luck.

A couple Images to see what I mean:

Here's the initial issue

Here's where I set the interface scaling back down to "Normal" from "Double (Hi-DPI)

And here's where I turn the display clockwise so you can see how tall the Menu has made itself.

Due to my currently weird "desk" setup (I'm using a wall mounted tv as a monitor, and sit like, 5feet back from it), I'm flexible, but... I'd like to turn my tv back widescreen if I could.
Last edited by BlackoutSampler on Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Start Menu resize [Too large]

Post by smurphos »

Set it HIDPI back to normal, logout and log back in. The menu should be fine. Then right click on your panel > Panel Settings and make the panel width , icons, and panel font sizes big enough to be usable. Then Menu > Preferences > Font Selections and up the text scaling factor to a comfortable level. Finally right click on the Desktop > Customise to set a comfortable desktop icon size.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

BlackoutSampler
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Start Menu resize [Too large]

Post by BlackoutSampler »

Thanks @smurphos that did it, was almost thinking my query got left in the dust here.

Return to “Newbie Questions”