SD Card Reader

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Stob
Level 2
Level 2

SD Card Reader

Post by Stob »

Is there something I need to do to read a SD card? I put a sd card in from my game camera and thought "pix" would read it, but said it couldn't mount it. Do I have a machine issue or a software issue?

kc1di
Level 15
Level 15

Re: SD Card Reader

Post by kc1di »

It's hard to say how is your sd card formatted? Mine works fine from my game camera , It's formatted as fat32.
But if yours is formatted differently you may have to manually mount it. I would try a different sd card that you know is formatted fat32 and see if the machine see that.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

jglen490
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jglen490 »

Not all cameras are supported in Linux. It depends on how the manufacturer implements reading the card via the camera's firmware. Even for a given manufacturer, one model might work and another won't.

Yes, you can buy an SD card reader (some are multi-format card readers) that connects via a USB port, pull the card from the camera and stick it in the reader, and 99.99999999% of the time Linux (any distro) will read the card that way. I have a few of them I just keep in my desk drawer, they work fine.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

AndyMH
Level 10
Level 10

Post by AndyMH »

I have a number of SD cards ranging in size from 32GB upto 256GB. They all work with the integral card reader in my T430 with the exception of one - the 32GB SD from my camera (Pentax). It, however, works perfectly okay if plugged in via a SD to USB adapter.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur »

Stob wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:36 am
Is there something I need to do to read a SD card? I put a sd card in from my game camera and thought "pix" would read it, but said it couldn't mount it. Do I have a machine issue or a software issue?
Have you tried connecting the camera to the computer by USB cable?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Stob
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stob »

This is a 16G SanDisk card, I've been using it for several years. I just checked it in my wife's laptop, and it worked fine. It is formatted as FAT32 also. I guess I'll get another one and try it, and get a reader adapter if need be, but it does work on the other machine.

norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

How long do you wait for it to mount?
Have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=251636#p1353385 - last post.

Stob
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stob »

I have left it in for several minutes with no change.

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint »

SD cards are really simple and rarely the problem, outside of the fake stuff from ebay and bargain bins. Cameras mess things up by not implementing a full file system. The camera instructions usually tell you to format all cards in the camera. This lets the camera take shortcuts. Their FAT32 partial code produces just enough to work in Windows.

You might get better results formatting in your computer then using the card in your camera. In some cases, the camera will fail to work with the card and you have to go back to formatting in the camera.

There are only a few small changes to the SD card over the years. The electrical contacts are the same so all hardware should work the same. There is new hardware with extra contacts and that is backward compatible, the same as USB3 is backward compatible with USB2.

Some USB3 card readers have a USB2.5 chip that works in Windows but not in any other operating system. Some cameras and smartphones have really pathetic USB cable connections.

When you test anything, test with different brands. Find a friend with the same brand camera and experiment. Visit your local museum to test with Windows 7, the last known useful working version of Windows.

Return to “Newbie Questions”