Celluloid: vetted/tested ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Celluloid: vetted/tested ?

Post by wpshooter »

Just wondering if this new Celluloid application that I am running into under Linux Mint 19.3
was completely vetted/tested ?

The reason I ask is because my experience with it so far is that when opening videos for viewing
I get some videos opened in full screen view and some are opened in minimized screen view.
Seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which view any particular video might be opened in.
I have not looked extensively, but right off hand, I found no parameter/preference that would seem
to control this behavior.

Seems to me that VLC media player is a much better choice (at least for me), so wondering
why something that does not seem to work consistently would be substituted for something
that seems to work very consistently.

On google postings about this some seem to favor the Celluloid and some don't.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Celluloid: vetted/tested ?

Post by racer-x »

To me Celluloid is the best video player I've found in Linux so far. Way better than vlc, for me anyway. It's the first video player I've found that correctly displays the Alpha Channel in an RGBA video file. I think that's so cool....

wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

racer-x wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:21 pm To me Celluloid is the best video player I've found in Linux so far. Way better than vlc, for me anyway. It's the first video player I've found that correctly displays the Alpha Channel in an RGBA video file. I think that's so cool....

Do you get the problem that I described in my post ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

No, it acts like all the other video players I've used. It opens in either Frame-Sized or 50%. Double-Click on it and it goes to full-screen. Same as every other player I know of. The example video above measures 1500x1500.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

I get no consistency in where (placement) or what size they open.

Could this have something to do with my Mate WINDOWS settings and/or my DESKTOP settings - found on menu ?

But like I said no such problems when using VLC.

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

You are free to install whatever you like. I don't care for vlc, but I did install Xplayer because it quickly gives you the video properties. I can't figure out how to do that in Celluloid player.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I just don't like Celluloid,
went back to VLC.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

AZgl1500 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:43 pm I just don't like Celluloid,
went back to VLC.
Glad to see that I am not alone.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Celluloid used to be called gnome mpv, and it's just a GUI front end for mpv. mpv is a fork of mplayer (which is still available contrary to popular opinion). If you're using older hardware mpv doesn't always work properly because the mpv devs pruned much of the support for old machines.

So paste the text output of inxi -Fxz run in the terminal to see what we're dealing with here. If it's old hardware try gnome-mplayer, which is similar but uses mplayer as a backend.

Otherwise I agree with the other comments, mpv (and mplayer) just walks all over vlc in terms of performance. I think vlc is the most over rated program I can think of.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

Finally, I've found a script that shows video properties. Get it here:https://github.com/Argon-/mpv-stats/releases/tag/1.2

Put the "stats.lua" script into: /home/user/.config/celluloid/scripts folder. To call it, simply hit the i key. By default it displays for 4 sec, but I edited mine for 10 sec. Woks great and very informative....

ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

Hi,

Enter geometry=50% or any other percentage into mpv.conf.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

wpshooter wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:07 am Glad to see that I am not alone.
I didn't go back to vlc, I've always been using mpv, but I would never use Celluloid, it's just a severely feature limited version of mpv. Case in point:
racer-x wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:37 pm Finally, I've found a script that shows video properties.
Celluloid needs a script for that? That's just mpv's default media information overlay.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

The first thing I noticed is that celluloid stops at 100% volume wheras vlc
goes to 200%
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

all41 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:19 pm The first thing I noticed is that celluloid stops at 100% volume wheras vlc
goes to 200%
If you want to blow your speakers, mpv can go up to 1000%. ;)
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

gm10 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:31 pm I didn't go back to vlc, I've always been using mpv, but I would never use Celluloid, it's just a severely feature limited version of mpv. Case in point
I second that. Vanilla mpv is better experience than Gnome-mpv (Celluloid now) is, though it is a bit more difficult to set up, because it's done through the config files. When it comes to comfortable usage, then SMplayer is a lot better frontend for it IMO (the PPA version, naturally).
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

gm10 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:31 pm
Celluloid needs a script for that? That's just mpv's default media information overlay.
Celluloid uses an older version of mpv, hence the need for that script. Newer versions of mpv already include that feature. I'm happy with Celluloid as it has everything I need in a video player.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

I just noticed that now the Celluiod application is installed on 19.3 mate installation but
VLC is not.

I have always used VLC, so I have always installed VLC-Plugin-Fluidsynth via Synaptic after
the initial installation of 19.3.

Is it possible that my installing VLC and VLC-Plugin-Fluidsynth are/were conflicting with
the proper running/behavior of Celluoid ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
gm10

Post by gm10 »

wpshooter wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:41 pm Is it possible that my installing VLC and VLC-Plugin-Fluidsynth are/were conflicting with
No, those are entirely separate applications.
wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

gm10 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:15 pm
wpshooter wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:41 pm Is it possible that my installing VLC and VLC-Plugin-Fluidsynth are/were conflicting with
No, those are entirely separate applications.
Know they are not the same as Celluoid, but from my experience, certain applications of similar types/functions
have been known to cause conflicts with one another when installed on the same system. Are we 100% sure
there is no such conflict here ?

Thanks.
Mint 21.3 Mate.

SERVICE > competition
gm10

Post by gm10 »

wpshooter wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:44 pm Are we 100% sure there is no such conflict here ?
Without having look at this in any detail I feel very confident to confirm that. They are not even using the same GUI framework.

Return to “Software & Applications”