[Solved] Software Sources - tricia and bionic?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
DDB
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Software Sources - tricia and bionic?

Post by DDB »

In Software Sources there is main (tricia) and base (bionic). What is the difference between these two? Also why are they called tricia and bionic?

In regards to the actual mirrors I've just chosen the fastest ones, is this okay? I assume all the mirrors are safe and secure.

Thank you.
Last edited by DDB on Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Software Sources - tricia and bionic?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, DDB.

The names "tricia" and "bionic" are nicknames or codenames, as the Linux Mint releases overview page calls them: Linux Mint Releases

Every Linux Mint release has got a version number and a corresponding nickname or codename:
  • Linux Mint 19 tara
  • Linux Mint 19.1 tessa
  • Linux Mint 19.2 tina
  • Linux Mint 19.3 tricia
All these Linux Mint releases are based on the same Ubuntu release, which is Ubuntu 18.04, nickname/codename bionic.

The software sources identify the Linux Mint releases and the underlying Ubuntu release by their nicknames/codenames.

Hope this explains it.
Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

DDB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DDB »

Hi Karl,

Thank you for Replying, So as I understand it, the Main will be downloading updates from Linux Mint and the Base will be downloading updates from Ubuntu?

This will be operating system updates as well as software when I use my software and package managers?

Before this when I'd read Linux Mint was based on Ubuntu I just assumed you would download all the updates from LM but I guess that kind of package efficiency makes sense.

Thank you.
DDB

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

DDB wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:42 pm
Thank you for Replying, So as I understand it, the Main will be downloading updates from Linux Mint and the Base will be downloading updates from Ubuntu?
Yes.
DDB wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:42 pm
This will be operating system updates as well as software when I use my software and package managers?
Yes. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, DDB.

Yes to both questions. Your understanding is correct. :)

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Return to “Newbie Questions”