Birthday gift for me [System 76 Darter Pro]

Chat about just about anything else
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Birthday gift for me [System 76 Darter Pro]

Post by MurphCID »

Yeah the Darter Pro has the screws on the back, but then you have to insert a spudger into the hole on the bottom, and push up strongly to pop the keyboard loose, and then gently remove it to get to the three screws under the keyboard which are required to remove the back of the laptop in order to install extra ram, or a larger HD. Then you have to gently replace the keyboard after putting the screws back in, and pray you do not pinch or break the ribbon cables. Standard CLEVO poor design. I am a complete klutz, and so it, for me, was nerve wracking to do this. I was really worried I would break something.

Coreboot removes pretty much any and all access to BIOS because you only can change boot order. There is nothing you can user configure, and that is why I am not really pleased with Coreboot.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:35 am
...Coreboot removes pretty much any and all access to BIOS because you only can change boot order. There is nothing you can user configure, and that is why I am not really pleased with Coreboot.
Curious. I can make changes in the BIOS on my machine but changes to the boot order won't stick; To boot up a live USB, I have to go into the BIOS every cottonpickin' time to change the boot order (then jump through hoops to get a display when it boots). The machine originally came with Ubuntu installed. I removed the original boot drive and replaced it with a new one that I installed Mint 19.3 on (and that installation was a nightmare because of the NVIDIA card in the machine and System 76's tech help's incomplete directions on getting a display) and the former Ubuntu persists in the boot order yet I can't get a USB live disk to stick.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:03 am
MurphCID wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:35 am
...Coreboot removes pretty much any and all access to BIOS because you only can change boot order. There is nothing you can user configure, and that is why I am not really pleased with Coreboot.
Curious. I can make changes in the BIOS on my machine but changes to the boot order won't stick; To boot up a live USB, I have to go into the BIOS every cottonpickin' time to change the boot order (then jump through hoops to get a display when it boots). The machine originally came with Ubuntu installed. I removed the original boot drive and replaced it with a new one that I installed Mint 19.3 on (and that installation was a nightmare because of the NVIDIA card in the machine and System 76's tech help's incomplete directions on getting a display) and the former Ubuntu persists in the boot order yet I can't get a USB live disk to stick.
Yeah under coreboot, you cannot change ANYTHING except boot order. Mine also shows Ubuntu, but only in Coreboot if attempting to load Mint. I installed a larger SSD, and so removed some of the lingering code. But System 76 really, really wants to make you use their operating system.

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Turning off bluetooth gives me at least an hour extra juice on the battery..odd.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

MurphCID wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:14 pm
Turning off bluetooth gives me at least an hour extra juice on the battery..odd.
Good to know. Thanks for mentioning it!
Jeannie

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Bluetooth is supposed to be a low-power radio system, but the chip on my dual-band WiFi + Bluetooth card has packed up (both WiFi bands are stil working) so I have my doubts. A USB BT adaptor works fine.

I will have to monitor power usage with BT enabled vs. disabled.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

BG405 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:50 am
Bluetooth is supposed to be a low-power radio system, but the chip on my dual-band WiFi + Bluetooth card has packed up (both WiFi bands are stil working) so I have my doubts. A USB BT adaptor works fine.

So far it seems that way, and the only thing I do is turn off BT as soon as I boot.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

MurphCID wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:27 am
BG405 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:50 am

So far it seems that way, and the only thing I do is turn off BT as soon as I boot.
Curious. After I turned off my Bluetooth, it has stayed off, even through several reboots. I haven't tested any effect on battery life since I've used this computer on AC only so far since I got it (unless I forget to turn on the power strip the PSU is plugged into) and I'm using System 76's charging option (I forget the exact name) in the BIOS to charge the battery only after the battery drops to less than 40%, then charge it up to only 80% to increase battery life.

I've read articles claiming that WiFi and Bluetooth reduce battery life and other articles that claim otherwise so, without testing it, I really don't know if it's true or not with my machine. I have my WiFi turned off at both the computer and at the router since I only use Ethernet at home (running the cables was "fun") and turning off the WiFi eliminates the possibility of neighbor or drive-by hacking. I only used Bluetooth on the extremely rare occasions when I need to download photos from the potato camera on my dumb as rocks flip phone (so rare that, so far, the only photos I have downloaded were for learning how to pair up the Bluetooth) so having the Bluetooth off all the time can't hurt and just might help.

One curious note about my System 76 machine. If either the Bluetooth or the WiFi is turned on, using FN/F11 to activate airplane mode wouldn't work. With both Bluetooth and WiFi are turned off, then the airplane mode setting will work (in other words, it turns on the airplane mode indicator light). So, what was the point of the airplane mode setting? :roll:
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

It seems that it gives me a longer battery but I cannot quantify the exact number since the usage varies. On this computer Bluetooth resets itself to "ON" each time I reboot the computer.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

MurphCID wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:02 am
...On this computer Bluetooth resets itself to "ON" each time I reboot the computer.
"Curiouser and curiouser," said Jeannie (apologies to Lewis Carroll). After I shut mine off, it has stayed off through reboot after reboot (unless I deliberately turn it back on). I shut mine off by clicking on the Bluetooth icon in the panel, then clicking on the "switch" in the upper left hand corner of the popup.
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:57 pm
MurphCID wrote:
...On this computer Bluetooth resets itself to "ON" each time I reboot the computer.
"Curiouser and curiouser," said Jeannie (apologies to Lewis Carroll). After I shut mine off, it has stayed off through reboot after reboot (unless I deliberately turn it back on). I shut mine off by clicking on the Bluetooth icon in the panel, then clicking on the "switch" in the upper left hand corner of the popup.
If I was a betting man, I would suspect it has something to do with Coreboot.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

MurphCID wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:52 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
MurphCID wrote:
Your machine or mine?
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:08 am
MurphCID wrote:
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:

Your machine or mine?
Mine with Coreboot.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

MurphCID wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:41 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:08 am
MurphCID wrote:

Your machine or mine?
Mine with Coreboot.
OK, I get it now. You keep making me more and more grateful I didn't get stuck with coreboot. :shock:
Jeannie

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Yeah they were probably great before coreboot.

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Fresh charge, Chrome with 12 tabs open, terminal,and Htop running. Disabled BT, and time shows 11:02 battery life. When I started typing it dropped to 6:48, but still much, much better than before. So turning off BT is a winner for battery life on this thing.

Return to “Open chat”