Repositioning desktop and panel icons [SOLVED]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Repositioning desktop and panel icons [SOLVED]

Post by norm.h »

I have just done a clean install of Mint 19.3 Cinnamon onto a new SSD.

In 18.3 Mate, I was able to position my desktop and panel icons individually to where I wanted them, and the Workspace Switcher showed which app was active in that space.

I haven't been able to find a way to do this in 19.3, so can it be done please, and if so, how?
Last edited by norm.h on Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

smurphos
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Repositioning desktop and panel icons

Post by smurphos »

Hi - for the Desktop, right click > Customise > Disable Auto-arrange, and tweak the grid settings. If you want it exactly the same as MATE you can disable the grid entirely via dconf-editor, but in Cinnamon this is considered a legacy unsupported mode.

For the panel, the setup is slightly different from what you are used to in MATE. Right click on the panel and check panel edit mode - you can then drag and drop individual applets between the three panel zones. Uncheck panel edit mode when done. Note that individual pinned apps are contained in a single grouped-window list applet so they are moved as a group. But you are free to rearrange the icons within the applet via drag and drop (you don't need panel edit mode for this) and you are free to have multiple grouped-window-list applets if you multiple sets of pinned apps in different parts of the panel.

Cinnamon's workspace-switcher applet doesn't support display of application icons. Instead you have work-space overview mode (Ctrl-Alt-UpArrow)
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

Thank you so much - I'll give it a try

norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

In the end I changed my DE to Mate - all's well. Thank you.

Return to “Cinnamon”