How to stop 'Choose password for new keyring' prompt on opening Chromium?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ZakGordon
Level 4
Level 4

How to stop 'Choose password for new keyring' prompt on opening Chromium?

Post by ZakGordon »

First a few links:

viewtopic.php?t=259329

https://www.fosslinux.com/2561/how-to-d ... x-mint.htm

---------------

So this has seemingly been a thing for a while now, although this is the first time i have come across it in 5 years of using Chromium. Is it reated to using Mint 19.1 vs 18.1?

Anyway each time i start up Chromium on my new build PC i get this annoying pop-up:

'Choose password for new keyring'

with two fields to enter the password then to re-enter it to confrim, with either a 'cancel' or 'continue' button. I pick 'cancel' as i don't feel i want to enter a password, and also it is not obvious what application is asking (it would be nice to see it belonged to Chromium perhaps?) so at first i thought it 'might' be malware.

So i get the prompt each time i use Chromium. I have looked around the internet a bit (thus the two threads up top) but not really found what i would consider a satisfactory solution.

I don't want to enter a password and i don't want to have to download other software (seahorse?) just to stop the prompt. There has to be another way where i can instruct Chroium to leave me alone and forget about it's hangup with this damn keyring thing?

So anyone have any good ideas on reaching that place?

Edit:

So digging into Chromiums 'settings' it seems (so far, as i have not had the prompt) shifting the slider over on 'Auto Sign-in' might be the solution. It looks like when the sider option is blue it is 'off' and greyed-out it is 'on'? Which seems a little counter-intuitive when something greyed-out is normally off?

I'll give it time to test before marking the topic SOLVED, but feel free to chime in with your own thoughts if you have anything to contribute :)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How to stop 'Choose password for new keyring' prompt on opening Chromium?

Post by kukamuumuka »

Just edit Chromium launcher as chromium-browser --password-store=basic :wink:

rene
Level 14
Level 14

Re: How to stop 'Choose password for new keyring' prompt on opening Chromium?

Post by rene »

Return to “Software & Applications”