Popping sound on speakers when starting 19.3 (Solved)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Cats
Level 1
Level 1

Popping sound on speakers when starting 19.3 (Solved)

Post by Cats »

Hi guys,

I'm using LM 19.3 and when I start/shut off the machine (sometimes when I click a video) I get a loud pop from the speakers. I've found a thread where they thought : aplay /dev/zero might help, but am not sure what that means. Help? :? Thanks guys.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=224560
Last edited by Cats on Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Popping sound on speakers when starting 19.3

Post by MrEen »

Hi Cats.

Do this instead:
gm10 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:49 am

Your only options are to either deal with it or to disable power management for Intel's HDA driver:

Code: Select all

sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/snd-hda-intel.conf <<<'options snd-hda-intel power_save=0'
(takes effect on reboot)
Cats
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cats »

I added "options snd-hda-intel power_save=0 power_save_controller=N" to the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and restarted. It doesn't pop any more on startup, but there's a small pop when it shuts down. --Not sure about it popping when playing videos, sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't. So far it hasn't since I made the change. Crossing my fingers.

The info came from this thread: viewtopic.php?t=184635

Want to work with it a little more before I mark it solved, but that definitely helped.
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

Cats wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:14 pm
I added "options snd-hda-intel power_save=0 power_save_controller=N" to the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and restarted. It doesn't pop any more on startup, but there's a small pop when it shuts down. --Not sure about it popping when playing videos, sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't. So far it hasn't since I made the change. Crossing my fingers.

Want to work with it a little more before I mark it solved, but that definitely helped.
That's fine where you added it. The only reason I always quote gm10's reply is that an alsa update might overwrite the setting when it's in alsa-base.conf. Probably not something to be too concerned about.

In a way, the small pop on shutdown is a good thing. At least you know the card is shutting off, so if you next boot to Windows or another OS, the sound should work fine over there. Sometimes if the amp isn't turned off, sound fails on the next boot.
Cats
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cats »

MrEen -- I ran the command and rebooted. Still getting a pop when the computer shuts down, but not when it starts.
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

As a test, remove the power_save_controller=N part of the line. For most, what's left is all that's needed.

And you don't have the quotes around the line in the file, correct?
Cats
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cats »

Removed power_save_controller=N and there's no quotes around the command. Restarted it, and startup is quiet. Speaker thuds when it shuts off.

I followed your command line from a few posts up, would it quiet the speakers without having to worry about an update overwriting?
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

Cats wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:45 pm
Removed power_save_controller=N and there's no quotes around the command. Restarted it, and startup is quiet. Speaker thuds when it shuts off.

I followed your command line from a few posts up, would it quiet the speakers without having to worry about an update overwriting?
Yes. The one I quoted will survive updates to ALSA. I'm a little perplexed that you're still getting a pop on shutdown. Everyone else that has commented was completely fixed with either remedy. Do you use any special boot parameters besides "quiet splash"? If you're not sure, you almost certainly don't.
Cats
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cats »

No boot parameters.
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

See if this does anything the next time you're going to shut down:

sudo alsactl kill save_and_quit
I've never used the command myself. We may need to kill pulseaudio first if you get an error from that command.

Do that right before shutting down and let us know if you still get the pop, which might happen just from running the command.
Cats
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cats »

Tried the command and still got the shutdown pop. -It seems to be working ok with video though, but makes a quiet pop with the aplay /dev/zero command.
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

Assuming there were no errors from the command, I'm out of ideas. At least most of the popping is gone now.

Actually, run this script and paste the output as I do want to see something:

curl https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/raw/master/src/utils/pa-info?inline=false | bash | nc termbin.com 9999
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

MrEen wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:23 pm
Cats wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:14 pm

That's fine where you added it. The only reason I always quote gm10's reply is that an alsa update might overwrite the setting when it's in alsa-base.conf. Probably not something to be too concerned about.

In a way, the small pop on shutdown is a good thing. At least you know the card is shutting off, so if you next boot to Windows or another OS, the sound should work fine over there. Sometimes if the amp isn't turned off, sound fails on the next boot.
i like that small, but quiet, little pop from my speakers. i know the machine is totally shut down then. almost have to put ears next to speakers to hear it, so no big thing.

might have to remember what it takes to solve issue if i ever run across it though.
Cats
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cats »

Hope this works, but here's the output:

% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 2039 100 2039 0 0 3641 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 3634
https://termbin.com/j97w
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

Cats wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:17 pm
Hope this works, but here's the output:

% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 2039 100 2039 0 0 3641 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 3634
https://termbin.com/j97w
It worked. That URL on the last line is a large output of your sound settings. I'm looking through it now.
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by MrEen »

I didn't find any oddities in the output. I was looking for a couple of things that sometimes cause sound issue if they're running like Timidity or SpeechDispatcher but don't see either running for you.

The only thing I saw in your output that I don't think I've seen before is the XSMP Session. If you have any idea how to disable that (I don't, and don't know if you'd even want to) that MAY make a difference, but I rather doubt it.
Cats
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cats »

Going to mark this solved. Want to thank you guys for the responses... And I'm definitely keeping track of the sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/snd-hda-intel.conf <<<'options snd-hda-intel power_save=0' command. So far so good with videos and restarts but will check back on the thread for a couple of days in case there's anything new. -Love being able to start it again without a loud pop!
MrEen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Popping sound on speakers when starting 19.3 (Solved)

Post by MrEen »

You're welcome Cats.

Enjoy! :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”