Corona virus (COVID-19)

Chat about just about anything else
Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Corona virus (COVID-19)

Post by Pepi »

Can't find 70% or 99% rubbing alcohol anywhere around my parts. I was wondering if a person could use 'HEET' in the RED bottle to clean surfaces of your home. The internet says, "The red Heet contains isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol". I'm sure it would not be good to use for bare skin since it has other chemicals in it.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Pepi wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:30 am
Can't find 70% or 99% rubbing alcohol anywhere around my parts. I was wondering if a person could use 'HEET' in the RED bottle to clean surfaces of your home. The internet says, "The red Heet contains isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol". I'm sure it would not be good to use for bare skin since it has other chemicals in it.
This looks like useful information:
https://www.healthline.com/health/rubbing-alcohol-uses

TL;DNR: you can use it on your body as well, but not on large surfaces of your body (like for cooling down quickly, which is a strange sort of usage anyway).

The information in the article coincides with the advice of my son in law, who is a medical doctor and has recently graduated from medical school: common household rubbing alcohol can be used for disinfecting the skin (provided it has been watered down to 70 %, which is apparently the most effective percentage).

In the current situation I mostly use it as follows: before filling up the car with gasoline and before going to a supermarket, I put on latex gloves. I use rubbing alcohol (watered down from its original 85 % to approximately 70 %) to soak a rag with which I clean my gloved hands afterwards.

Also, wearing those latex gloves, I use the alcohol-soaked rag to wipe the grips of the supermarket shopping cart, the car handles, steering wheel etc.

Only when potential contamination has happened of my bare hands, which is seldom, I rub my bare hands with the alcohol-soaked rag.
Last edited by Pjotr on Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

Pepi wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:30 am
Well you can, but why would you when soap & water or household bleach will do the job much more safely?

The product's MSDS does not reveal the nature of the 1.5% proprietary chemicals, nor yet does it disclose the odour, the odour threshhold, the pH, or the decomposition temperature despite the fact that such data for isopropanol is widely available, which I find suspicious. It does however have some information on its flammability, its toxicity, and its suspected mutagenicity.

https://media.napaonline.com/is/content ... 69pdf?$PDF$
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

ZakGordon wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:40 am
JTemple wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:36 pm
Covid-19 is not bacterial it is a virus. What kills bacteria may not kill viruses, think antibiotics. I am using alcohol or chlorine bleach in water to wipe things down. I would check the truth of " 'effective against H1N1' ", if that is true, it should be effective against all viruses, so you'd be good to go with that stuff! BUT HANDLE WITH CARE!!!
https://safeblend.wpengine.com/wp-conte ... -01-21.pdf
https://www.safeblend.com/wp-content/up ... TDS-EN.pdf
Yeah that is why i was looking for specifics for the ones i use. It mentions virus (in this case H1N1) as well as the general anti-bacterial stuff, which is why i got it.

Nothing on the shelves currently says "effective against covid-19" in part because it is too new and in part due to the collapse in manufacturing; those labels won't come out anytime soon (i suspect). So the fact it specifically states effective vs a virus should mean they are 'good enough'.
I looked at the active ingredients for Sanitol. It is a double quaternary ammonium disinfectant, and I am not aware of any virus that is not killed by a double quat when used according to the label instructions. So I can state with a high degree of confidence Sanitol is effective against COVID-19. But it must be used according to the instructions. Sanitol is not labeled as tuberculocidal or effective against Clostridium spores, but double quats are effective disinfectants for these very tough bugs, too.

Follow the dilution ratio - if it says 32.5ml to 4L Water (roughly 1oz to 1 gallon water), follow this ratio. Mixing it stronger will make it less effective.
Pay attention to the contact time
- most double quats need at least 10 minutes of contact to be effective. A good way to accomplish this is to allow the disinfectant to dry on the surface. Do not rinse it off.

Finally, all disinfectants work best on a clean surface.
Pjotr wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:59 pm
Also, wearing those latex gloves, I use the rag to wipe the grips of the supermarket shopping cart, the car handles, steering wheel etc.
Be sure to wear gloves when refueling your automobile. I found that a chopstick makes for a nice nose scratcher.

GRRRR! One of my bonehead neighbors just strolled past to let his dog crap in my yard. He is a cardiologist at a local hospital, and he recently bragged to me about his “unlimited” has access to N-95 masks. He is wearing one right now ... with a hole poked into the front so he can smoke a cigar. And people wonder why I am in such a bad mood all of the time. :evil:

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

BenTrabetere wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:14 pm

I looked at the active ingredients for Sanitol. It is a double quaternary ammonium disinfectant, and I am not aware of any virus that is not killed by a double quat when used according to the label instructions. So I can state with a high degree of confidence Sanitol is effective against COVID-19. But it must be used according to the instructions. Sanitol is not labeled as tuberculocidal or effective against Clostridium spores, but double quats are effective disinfectants for these very tough bugs, too.
Hey :D Thanks for the research there Ben. I'm 99% content taking the packs claims at face value as here in the EU zone you get hammered for false claims, so that gives a certain level of consumer confidence you might not have in the USA? But still your research made me go and dig a bit myself and i am pleased i did, so thanks for the info, very considerate of you indeed :)
BenTrabetere wrote:
GRRRR! One of my bonehead neighbors just strolled past to let his dog crap in my yard. He is a cardiologist at a local hospital, and he recently bragged to me about his “unlimited” has access to N-95 masks. He is wearing one right now ... with a hole poked into the front so he can smoke a cigar. And people wonder why I am in such a bad mood all of the time. :evil:
And that guy sounds like the total opposite of 'considerate'. Some people just learn to be jerks as they grow up, which is a cross the rest of us often have to bare or deal with. Electric fence? ;)
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

dorsetUK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dorsetUK »

Hi BenTrabetere

I'm sorry about your neighbour, and luckily 'Chris' isn't my neighbour, but, blinkin hell.https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/183302 ... le-caller/
BenTrabetere wrote:
I looked at the active ingredients for Sanitol. It is a double quaternary ammonium disinfectant, and I am not aware of any virus that is not killed by a double quat
Sorry, but certain viruses survive. https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ry_Viruses

and https://academic.oup.com/jac/article/68/12/2718/698356 puts it well down the list and "not efficient for most bacteria, tubercle bacilli, spores, fungi and viruses".

None of them include Covid-19, and neither do its manufacturers https://www.whiteley.com.au/our-products/sanitol

Tread carefully - soap and warm water beats all but self-immolation.

To finish on a high - if you're in the UK - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52033260

Best wishes, Jon.

BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

@ZakGordon "I'm 99% content taking the packs claims at face value as here in the EU zone you get hammered for false claims, so that gives a certain level of consumer confidence you might not have in the USA?"
You can get hammered for false claims in the USA, too. FDA will start at one end of the alimentary canal and USDA will start at the other, and they will meet somewhere in the middle to tear you a new orifice. If I worked for a disinfectant manufacturer I would not have posted my comments.

@dorsetUK "Sorry, but certain viruses survive."
I recognized most of the 'not effective' quaternary ammonium disinfectants mentioned in the reports, and I am almost positive they are single quats. A double quat has a much broader spectrum and efficacy. One of the articles specifically mentioned Newcastle disease virus (NDV), a highly contagious viral disease of domestic and wild birds. The study found they QACs "were less effective against AIV and NDV." The QACs I recognized in this study are single quats, and I am almost positive that none are labelled for NVD.

@everyone - my comments about the efficacy of a disinfectant are based on my experience in the animal health industry, but please understand that "knowing something to be true" is not the same as "it is on the label."

As for my neighbor, he is an obnoxious patzer pretending to be an alpha male. His wife and daughter are worse. Rules do not apply to them. Every year they have a July 4th fireworks show at their house - fireworks are illegal in the city and for the past few years there has been a burn ban in place.

jameskga
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jameskga »

How bad at chess IS that guy?
19.3 Cinnamon
I am out there

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

And just so it is clear, it is this 'Sanytol' i'm talking about:

http://sanytol.com/en/disinfection-without-bleach

It's a domestic product you can find in your super-market, it is not a 'hospital grade' cleaner or anything like that, but it does meet "Viruses (flu virus A H1N, Herpes virus) according to the EN 14476 international standard.", which i hope is good enough.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

dorsetUK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dorsetUK »

Hi everyone.

What is 'known' to kill - or wash away - Coronavirus.

Please have a read https://theconversation.com/coronavirus ... use-134301

Stay safe, Jon.

BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

ZakGordon wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:27 pm
And just so it is clear, it is this 'Sanytol' i'm talking about:
It's a domestic product you can find in your super-market, it is not a 'hospital grade' cleaner or anything like that, but it does meet "Viruses (flu virus A H1N, Herpes virus) according to the EN 14476 international standard.", which i hope is good enough.
What are the active ingredients? The website does not offer any information and the only material data sheets I can find are not in English. Since it does not appear to contain bleach, I suspect they are isopropyl alcohol or ethanol and a surfactant like lauramine, myristamine or d-limonene. The alcohol provides the primary virucidal activity.

A word of warning....
Yesterday one of my good neighbors picked an fortuitous time to visit her parents - her father, who should know better, was in the process of making a 'home brew' disinfectant using chlorine bleach and ammonia. For those who are not aware, this is a deadly combination.

dorsetUK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dorsetUK »

Aaah, alcohol - and soap.

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus ... use-133277

Should you want to make your own https://theconversation.com/homemade-ha ... rus-133668

Drink the vodka, it's not - normally - a sanitiser.

Jon

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

BenTrabetere wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:41 pm

A word of warning....
Yesterday one of my good neighbors picked an fortuitous time to visit her parents - her father, who should know better, was in the process of making a 'home brew' disinfectant using chlorine bleach and ammonia. For those who are not aware, this is a deadly combination.
After home made cleaners I predict it won't be long before quack remedies for the disease will appear.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I have read all of this thread but don't recall seeing mention of using UV-C to sterilize rooms, vehicle interiors etc. (obviously NOT whilst occupied!). I'm still researching but apparently its effectiveness has been proven across a range of such pathogens, including out of direct line-of-sight probably due to the atmosphere having a similar scattering effect to UV-C as water has with visible light.

As an aside, there was an incident in a club where they fitted these lamps without realizing the danger (thinking the effect was nice with the clear tubes compared to regular "blacklight" lamps) and people suffered skin burns and very sore eyes (arc-eye). :roll:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

BG405 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:10 pm
I have read all of this thread but don't recall seeing mention of using UV-C to sterilize rooms, vehicle interiors etc. (obviously NOT whilst occupied!)
My sister is a nurse in Florida, and she says the use of UVC is a component of the sterilization process her hospital uses. The key word is part. Safety is a major issue with UVC, so disinfectants and cleansers are a bigger component of the process. As for efficacy, I am pretty sure UVC has shown to inactivate the SARS and MERS viruses, both of which are coronaviruses, so it should inactivate COVID-19, too.

I have only a passing familiarity with lamps that emit a spectrum known as far-UVC - these lamps can inactivate bacteria and viruses without damaging human skin or eyes. I do not know if or how these lamps are being used, or if it is an economical and practical solution. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-21058-w
As an aside, there was an incident in a club where they fitted these lamps without realizing the danger (thinking the effect was nice with the clear tubes compared to regular "blacklight" lamps) and people suffered skin burns and very sore eyes (arc-eye). :roll:
UVC lamps are not playthings. UVC can do a lot of damage. :roll: indeed

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

BenTrabetere wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:03 am

UVC lamps are not playthings. UVC can do a lot of damage. :roll: indeed
I recently had a skin treatment with the UVC lights.
a cream paste was applied to my scalp and neck, and ears. ( not internally )

black eyeglasses were put on me, then the UVC dome was lowered over my head, the timing is critical for this event, it is 14 minutes, 25 seconds.... set by a timer.

I had dead skin debris for about 4 weeks or more after that, it was for removing pre-cancerous skin leasons. ( sp )

so glad that is behind me, the 1st treatment they used, was Nitrogen from a small spray gun, that left burns on my arms, neck, and back, and caused a lot of discomfort for months....
I told them no more of that crap, use something else..... they billed Medicare almost $1,000 for that treatment :evil: :twisted:
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Yeah i'm not a big fan of 'home-brew' for cleaners/medicines etc. Just too many variables can come into play to lead to disaster (that older couple that poisoned themselves with their fish-tank cleaner as it contained 'chloroquine', after the US President gave that drug his endorsement). I much prefer something i know has been made professionally in a lab and undergone the various tests required before it comes to market.

@BenTrabetere, not sure, all i have to hand is the product itself and the website i linked too.

I guess for the last fortnight now i've been doing my 'procedure' for shopping:

1. Wellington boots and my FP3 mask that stay in the car-boot after use (after being wiped down with that sanytol product (spray form and in a hand swipe tissue)).
2. Separate bags for shopping and what i bring into the home (so 3 in the car that stay in the car after being wiped down, and 3 inside the front door i move the shop into).
3. I stop at the doorstep and as i clean down the surface of each shopping item i place it in the bags that will go into the house. This takes about 30-40mins on top of the usual shop time, but we have plenty of time so it is not a problem to do.
4. I wear disposable gloves when leaving the house and those are binned before entering the house with the cleaned down shop.

You get the idea. The purpose is to take steps to remove the chance of the virus that could be on the surface of the items from the shop getting into the house. It's not a 100% guaranteed, just due to the nature of the variables involved (and we are far from lab conditions), but it increases the chance to not transport the virus into the home, and that is good enough.

-----------------

In other news:

'Coronavirus: Pangolins found to carry related strains':

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52048195

So basically some more on that suspected link to where it might have originated from, and:

'Coronavirus poses lethal threat to great apes, experts warn':

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... perts-warn

Zoo's are obviously shut, but i hope those caring for the animals during the lock-downs are taking the precautions they need to keep the animals covid-19 free. As for the wild apes, that is just going to be down to luck and hopefully the fact they live away from humans for the most part will protect them a bit?

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

BenTrabetere wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:03 am
I have only a passing familiarity with lamps that emit a spectrum known as far-UVC - these lamps can inactivate bacteria and viruses without damaging human skin or eyes. I do not know if or how these lamps are being used, or if it is an economical and practical solution. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-21058-w
I'll look at the link. Far UVC probably doesn't split water molecules the way the longer wavelengths do. I'd expect it doesn't penetrate far into the skin layer either, thus avoiding damage to the living layers. It will probably also be absorbed/scattered more by the air and have a more localized effect i.e. relying on air currents to carry contaminated air within range. Lighting and spectrum properties thereof are one of my fields of interest, especially discharge lamps, so I will be looking into this! :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

ZakGordon wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:15 am
In other news:

'Coronavirus: Pangolins found to carry related strains':

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52048195

So basically some more on that suspected link to where it might have originated from, and:

'Coronavirus poses lethal threat to great apes, experts warn':

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... perts-warn

Zoo's are obviously shut, but i hope those caring for the animals during the lock-downs are taking the precautions they need to keep the animals covid-19 free. As for the wild apes, that is just going to be down to luck and hopefully the fact they live away from humans for the most part will protect them a bit?
People shoud really be educated not tp eat everything, like bats: https://www.ibtimes.sg/watch-this-woman ... irus-38197

or monkeys as few years back when it caused the outbreak of ebola. Even domestic cattle's meat is not safe if not checked by a veterinarian. Otherwise, we will suffer something like this, every year. :(

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

Now I'm pretty much a vegan/vegetarian.
Not only because of special love for animals and a special pity - but when I see what the poor cattle/poultry have to eat - how they are stuffed with antibiotics - and how they - possibly after days! be slaughtered - Good Night!
Without me - and fish is also spoiled for me - I can chew on a piece of plastic as I like.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

Return to “Open chat”