Why Use Linux Mint, Review:...DAMIEN

https://fosspost.org/education/why-use-linux-mint
ORDO AB CHAO

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Why Use Linux Mint - Review

Post by Pierre »

that's an fairly balanced review, as well.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Smily_Lynx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Smily_Lynx »

Link is dead :(

I got this warning Error establishing a database connection

deck_luck
Level 4
Level 4

Post by deck_luck »

Smily_Lynx wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:25 pm
Link is dead :(

I got this warning Error establishing a database connection
The link worked for me.

That review was on point.
💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ 🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE
How to get help How to mark topic as [Solved]

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

I suppose it's a nice article, but it needs some serious copy editing as this version should never have been pushed up to their web site.

Also, I take exception to having LM described, once again, as "a good distro for new users". FFS.

Moreover, I don't think the article was either sufficiently educational nor technically accurate.

C'est la vie...
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

The article should have been written like this:

This post is a part of a longer series we’re publishing about GNU+Linux and open source, covering everything from A to Z. It’s made for new users, so if you are already using GNU+Linux, then you probably don’t need to read this. You may view all the articles published in this series here.

Linux Mint is one of the most famous popular desktop Linux distributions. It is based on Ubuntu, which in turn is based upon Debian, a pillar of the GNU+Linux world, and is generally thought considered to be a beginner-friendly broadly appealing GNU+Linux distribution that can be used by anyone for many users, both within and outside of the GNU+Linux community, even by new users expecially people who are migrating from the Windows world.

Mint has been in the scene since 2006, arguable still using the same look & feel, but there’s more to Mint than what meets the eye, and the eye does not go unwanting.¹ Having landed on our desks in 2006, Linux Mint has perfected the art of maintaining visual consistency while avoiding becoming dated-looking or functionally obsolete. While there is much more beneath the surface, the eye is not left wanting for elegance or choice. In our quick article today's segment, we’ll give show you some several reasons on why Linux Mint can be a good distribution to get you started on your Linux journey with.

Traditional Desktop Layout

The first thing you’ll notice about Mint is how traditional their its desktop layout is²;³: A a taskbar at the bottom of the screen, and a normal desktop where you can place icons, just like Windows XP, 7 and 10. This makes Linux Mint a very good option for those who are used to Windows and want to continue having that layout in the GNU+Linux world.

What’s noticeable about Mint is that it uses the same layout regardless of the desktop environment;. Linux Mint comes in 3 possible desktops: Cinnamon, MATE, and Xfce. But regardless of which one you choose to download, you’ll always notice that Mint is usinges the same layout.

The taskbar at the bottom of the screen [this underestimates the intelligence of the audience] is also similar to the structure of the one in Windows shares a structure similar to the one in Windows: A a start menu icon at the beginning, followed by various launchers, and then the currently opened windows, and lastly the system tray plate.

Special Mint Apps

The second thing you’ll notice about Linux Mint is that it offers you many special applications developed by the Mint team. For example, you have:
  • Mint Update: A graphical update manager for Linux Mint.
  • Mint Install: A software center for Linux Mint where you can browse and install tons of programs.
  • Mint Stick: Burn any ISO image file to a USB stick, or simply format it.
  • Mint Drivers: Install graphics drivers (and drivers for other components) graphically and quickly.
  • Mint Report: Browse log files related to your system and programs’ crash reports.
  • Mint Upload: Small utility to upload files to the Internet via FTP, STFP and SCP.
  • Mint Nanny: Simple parental control application that blocks access to certain domain names on the Internet.
  • Warp: A small utility to share files between devices on the LAN network.
  • PIA Manager: For those of you are subscribed to Private Internet Access VPN, this programs allows you to connect your system to it.
  • X-Apps: Forked traditional utilities from the GNOME stack, such as the text editor, the system monitor, the image viewer and many other tools.
  • And of course, there’s Linux Mint’s Cinnamon desktop, which comes with the Nemo file manager and other components.
  • And there’s Linux Mint’s contributions to the MATE desktop.
It is hard honestly to find a Linux distribution that does the same effort as Mint in terms of providing applications for every need in order to maintain the comfort of their users. I know There are some Linux distributions that which don’t even ship with an office suite.

Stable User Experience

We have been following the development of the Linux Mint distribution for more than 11 years, and if you did the same, you’ll you would have noticed that the user experience of versions like 6 and 7 of Mint (Which were released in 2009 and 2010) are almost identical to the newest versions released this year. Of course, Along the way, there were have been design revamps, new icons and themes, better UIs and more stuff like this. But the core Mint experience remained the same.

⁰ Overall, there are too many contractions in this piece. The more contractions one uses, the less formal and also the less professional it makes an article feel.

¹ One is not "in" the scene (in this context). One can be either "on" the scene or "a part of" the scene. Also, ampersands have NO place in the narrative of an article unless they're part of a proper name. Phrases such as "more than meets the eye" or "beauty is only skin deep" are called "clichés". As such, they should never be used in an article as the author did here.

² One moment, we're talking about a single thing. The next moment, we're talking about it as though we were referring to an organization.

³ To enumerate a list in paragraph form, just as one would with a physical list, use a full colon. Semicolons are strictly for use in the formation of clauses.

⁴ This is a perfect example of an exception to the rule that you never use numbers for non-decimal quantities less than 10. In this context, 7 and 10 are part of a proper name, so they stand as is.

⁵ Semicolons are for clauses of a sentence. This is not another clause of the same sentence; rather, it is the beginning of a new sentence.

⁶ Not so much a critique of the grammar, but this is an example of the article kind of missing the point. What any distro "looks like" depends entirely upon what desktop environment it uses. This paragraph should have been written, instead, to reflect that Clem & Co.'s vision for LM dictates the use of those desktop environments which have that kind of appearance/user experience.

⁷ Non-editorial articles are never written in the first person.

⁸ "Stuff like this"? What in the actual f&#@?!?!?!?

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Are you a School teacher Portreve? ;) Very good analysis/editorial on the original! Thanks.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

lsemmens wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:00 am
Are you a School teacher Portreve? ;) Very good analysis/editorial on the original! Thanks.
No, I'm not. My dream job would be to be a college professor of English, working Comp 1 / Comp 2 level classes and specializing in working with the English-as-a-second-language crowd. I feel foundational skills are sorely wanting (as no doubt was obvious to everyone from my copy editing above) and so I'm much more interested in getting everyone up to the level they should be at and, in past times would have been at.

Actually, I would love a job where I could work doing nothing but proofreading and editing any and all journalism pieces, including ones like the one above.

Return to “Open chat”