Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Netherprovinc3
Level 4
Level 4

UPS software/ Apcupsd still maintained?

Post by Netherprovinc3 »

I am trying to decide on a UPS and one question that came up is whether Apcupsd is likely still being maintained. The last release was in 2016, and that's the version that's available in software manager. I am not sure if the software is mostly complete/ doesn't need many updates or whether it's not maintained anymore.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/apcups ... e/3.14.14/
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon unless otherwise noted.

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Re: UPS software/ Apcupsd still maintained?

Post by ZakGordon »

This is a good point. I use UPS (have done for the last 6-7 years after a bad storm destroyed a motherboard in a PC that was on at the time) but they have all been installed and run under Windows.

What IS the linux landscape like for such devices? I would imagine that on a very basic level, you perhaps don't need the software for the hardware to work, but you'd totally be working in the dark in relation to guessing how much power is being used and how much time you have left to shut things down? Not an ideal situation unless a specific driver or perhaps a generic software is available for linux users that can work with most UPS devices?

I'd be interested to see more details on all this here?
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

Netherprovinc3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Netherprovinc3 »

ZakGordon wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:49 am
This is a good point. I use UPS (have done for the last 6-7 years after a bad storm destroyed a motherboard in a PC that was on at the time) but they have all been installed and run under Windows.

What IS the linux landscape like for such devices? I would imagine that on a very basic level, you perhaps don't need the software for the hardware to work, but you'd totally be working in the dark in relation to guessing how much power is being used and how much time you have left to shut things down? Not an ideal situation unless a specific driver or perhaps a generic software is available for linux users that can work with most UPS devices?

I'd be interested to see more details on all this here?
There seem to be 2 main software titles that work across multiple manufacturers-- Apcupsd & nut. When I spent some time researching UPS's about 6 months ago, APC seemed to not have software for Linux that they as a company maintain. Cyberpower, however, did had proprietary software. I did not research any other brands.

Some other popular uses for software that you didn't mention:
unattended shutdown
see how the internal battery is holding up
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon unless otherwise noted.

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Tnx for bringing this up, I have a big desktop that runs 24/7/265
and it has a 1500 Watt supply that can keep the monitor/PC/Modems alive for 20 minutes....

I need to hook up the auto shutdown feature so the Win7 HDD don't get screwed up.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

I have a couple of Eaton UPS, but their software is running under Windows installed OS (so i can monitor them via that), however the systems are active and functional when in Linux (dual boot PC setups) even if i can't directly see the readout, i know i have about 10mins or so to shutdown the main desktop PC's each protect.

Edit: actually i found this on the Eaton website, "USB port & Power management software for Windows/Linux/Max as standard (650 & 800 models)".
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . A move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial

powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Hi Netherprovinc3,

I use the apcupsd tool. It’s just a basic tool, so I’m not too worried about updates, as it serve my needs. It’s used with basic config file and can be tested/tweaked/status-checked in terminal. I have an old APC PowerChute disc running around somewhere; there was something for Linux on it, but it didn’t work on Mint, can’t exactly remember why—seemed like maybe you had to have RedHat Enterprise or some such thing to get it to open. Only advantage to it is really was that it was GUI.

You can config the parameters for orderly shutdown of PC and UPS, of which I have done, but never fully tested to see if it actually works, as I’ve never had to run it that low. (So I don’t really know how graceful/functional those features are). It does report down in the Panel, by the battery icon (which will show on a desktop PC when you have a UPS connected) when it is On Battery, and Off Battery. Only ever had one outage that was going to be long enough to run it down, so after about 30 minutes I just shut everything down manually. I want to say I was maybe down around 38% battery remaining at that point.

Here’s your /etc/apcupsd directory after installing:

Code: Select all

$  /etc/apcupsd $ ls
apccontrol.orig  apcupsd.conf.new  changeme.orig     commok       killpower      offbattery.orig  ups-monitor
apctest.output   apcupsd.css       commfailure       commok.orig  multimon.conf  onbattery
apcupsd.conf     changeme          commfailure.orig  hosts.conf   offbattery     onbattery.orig
Here’s a shot of running apcaccess in terminal (status command):

Code: Select all

~ $ apcaccess
APC      : 001,036,0864
DATE     : 2020-03-26 20:31:48 -0500
HOSTNAME : HmLx
VERSION  : 3.14.12 (29 March 2014) debian
UPSNAME  : HmLx
CABLE    : USB Cable
DRIVER   : USB UPS Driver
UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: 2020-03-21 12:38:17 -0500
MODEL    : Back-UPS XS 1500G
STATUS   : ONLINE
LINEV    : 122.0 Volts
LOADPCT  : 7.0 Percent
BCHARGE  : 100.0 Percent
TIMELEFT : 73.7 Minutes
MBATTCHG : 15 Percent
MINTIMEL : 5 Minutes
MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
SENSE    : High
LOTRANS  : 88.0 Volts
HITRANS  : 136.0 Volts
ALARMDEL : No alarm
BATTV    : 27.2 Volts
LASTXFER : Automatic or explicit self test
NUMXFERS : 0
TONBATT  : 0 Seconds
CUMONBATT: 0 Seconds
XOFFBATT : N/A
SELFTEST : NO
STATFLAG : 0x05000008
SERIALNO : 4B1525P07912
BATTDATE : 2015-06-16
NOMINV   : 120 Volts
NOMBATTV : 24.0 Volts
NOMPOWER : 865 Watts
FIRMWARE : 866.L8 .D USB FW:L8
END APC  : 2020-03-26 20:31:49 -0500
A few things don’t seem to report; ie, the items with “0” for a value.
ps...before anyone jumps on it, I know the battery is due..getting changed soon. :lol:

Edit.. just noticed that the zero value items may still be valid, as the stats are only counting since the last time apcupsd started (so stats are from 3/21 to 3/26)
Custom tower w/Mint 18
HP laptop w/Mint 18
Acer w/W10/Mint 18.3
Macbook w/El Capitan/Mint 18.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 30/Mint 18.3/Mint 19.2
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu

ajgringo619
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgringo619 »

It does look like it's still maintained, but I'm not sure why the version number hasn't changed in 4 years.
Mint 19.3 XFCE
kernel 5.3.0-42-generic
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce 960 w/2GB RAM [440.64]

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Glad this thread was brought up, gave me the emphasis to get off my arse and install the GUI

now, I can go on vacation, if CV-19 gets free of us, and not worry about my server at home.

CyberPower Control.png
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Software & Applications”