Multiple Boot System - Yes or No (Solved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jtamark
Level 1
Level 1

Multiple Boot System - Yes or No (Solved)

Post by jtamark »

I have a tri-boot system; Cinnamon, Mate, and Win 7. Cinn doesn't work correctly, so I loaded Mate, and all's good.

Would I recover memory in removing the Cinn boot? Any other advantages or disadvantages to tri-boot?

Joe

P.S. This came about when Win 7 lost support, and I switched to Cinnamon. Struggled w it, and then added Mate.
Last edited by jtamark on Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spamegg
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Multiple Boot System - Yes or No

Post by spamegg »

You wouldn't recover memory, but you would recover hard disk space.
I don't think there are any disadvantages (other than losing disk space) as long as everything is working correctly. Advantages are: keeping your Win7 (for games etc.) but don't connect to the Internet with it.

jtamark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jtamark »

Spamegg,
My plan was to keep Win 7, since there's stuff I use that for, but jettison the Cinnamon, since it's not working correctly for my system anyway.

Is this plan good, or just nonsense?

And how do I remove one boot option, while keeping the others?

Joe

Kadaitcha Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

jtamark wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:42 pm
And how do I remove one boot option, while keeping the others?
What you need to do is make sure that the LM that you want to keep is controlling the grub bootloader, and not the LM you want to remove. You must boot into the live media for the exact OS version that you want to keep and reinstall grub. Once booted in the live media:

Code: Select all

sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sdX
sudo umount /mnt
where sdXY is the drive and partition designation for the installation that you want to keep, and sdX is only the drive designation, without the partition number, for the same installation.

Once that's done, you can boot into the installation that you want to keep, delete the partitions of the other installation, then:

Code: Select all

sudo os-prober
sudo update-grub
Seeing that you're using win7, I am assuming that you are not using UEFI at all. If you are using UEFI, do not follow these instructions.
Reboot, and the other installation is gone.

WARNING: backup your important files from all OSen before proceeding.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

jtamark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jtamark »

Kadaitcha,

How do I find out which Mint version is controlling the grub bootloader?
It very well might be Cinnamon, since that's the first Linux I put on when I partitioned the drive.

It's safe to say I'm not using UEFI, the computer is 10 yrs old, and I believe it has bios.

Joe

jtamark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jtamark »

Kadaitcha,
Thanks for the instructions.

All,
How do I find out which Mint version (or Win 7) is controlling the grub bootloader?

Joe

pbear
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pbear »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:47 pm
What you need to do ...
Why not: Boot into the system you want to keep and run sudo grub-install /dev/sdx?

jtamark, don't do that until KMan answers. There's a point to be clarified even if he agrees.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

pbear wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:00 am
Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:47 pm
What you need to do ...
Why not: Boot into the system you want to keep and run sudo grub-install /dev/sdx?

jtamark, don't do that until KMan answers. There's a point to be clarified even if he agrees.
There is no reason why not. I'm a traditionalist. There's nothing wrong in doing it that much shorter way, and I have no issue with you making it simpler for the user.

pbear
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pbear »

Yeah, simple is good. So, jtamark, is there more than one drive on the system? if only one, all you need to do is boot into Mate from the Grub menu. Once there, open Terminal and run sudo grub-install /dev/sda. It's a script which automagically figures out all the stuff KMan mentioned and installs the boot loader in the right place. Some day you should learn how Grub works. This problem, though, is easily solved.

If you have more than one drive, we need to figure out which one you're booting Mint from, but sounds to me like there's only one.

jtamark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jtamark »

PBear and Kakaitcha,

I am a novice, so easy is good. I ran lsblk and here are the results, which show one disk, right?

joe@joe-Studio-XPS-435MT:~$ lsblk -d
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 931.5G 0 disk
sdb 8:16 0 465.8G 0 disk
sdc 8:32 1 127.8M 1 disk /media/joe/REALTEK
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom
sr1 11:1 1 1024M 0 rom

To get into the Grub menu, I hold down the Shift key while booting, is that right?

And I'd like to keep Win 7 as a boot option. Will sudo grub-install /dev/sdx give me the option to delete only the problematic Cinnamon boot, and keep the Mate and Win7 boots?

Joe

pbear
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pbear »

Actually, lsblk shows you have three disks, though sdc is a bit of a mystery (an old flash drive?).

In light of that, let's start from the top. You say something about holding down Shift to get into the Grub menu. Not really. That's one way to force display of Grub on a single boot system. As yours is multi-boot, the Grub menu should be displaying automatically. Does it? Does it list all three systems: Cinnamon, Mate and Windows? Which one is listed first? I'm expecting it to be Mate, which should mean it already has control of Grub.

Don't do anything yet. Let me know the answer to those questions, then we can talk about your next step.

jtamark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jtamark »

PBear,

Yes, Mate is shown first, then Cinnamon and Win7. It also shows other variations, something advanced boot options Cinnamon, or something similar, but Mate is listed first, at top.

The sdc drive is odd, because there weren't any thumbdrives or removable discs attached when I ran it. So why would it show them?

Joe

pbear
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pbear »

So Grub is fine, no change needed. Next, as KMan mentioned above, is to delete the partition with Cinnamon. As he also mentioned, before doing that, it's essential you have backups of all your data files. Do you? Once you've done that ...

Boot a live session of Mint. The one you used to install Mate will be perfect. You use a live session when deleting and/or modifying partitions, as you must do that from "outside" the system. In the live session, open GParted (it's an app on Menu). You'll see a graphic representation of your first hard drive and a list of all the partitions. Notice the drop-down at upper-right. That's how you would switch to a similar view of your other drives.

Let's get a look at that. From Menu, open Take Screenshot. Request the current window. Save, a name like PartitionsBefore. If you have an image hosting service, you can upload the image there and link here using [rimg] tags. Otherwise, upload as an attachment (tab below the text entry window); be sure to click the place inline button. Be aware there's a file size limit, but your screenshot should be okay.

jtamark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jtamark »

PBear (and KMan)

How does this look?

Joe
PartionsBefore2.png

pbear
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pbear »

It looks like you didn't follow instructions. You took that screenshot while booted the regular way, right?
I said to use a live session. I also explained why it has to be done that way.

ETA: That is Mate you booted, right? Might as well take this opportunity to confirm sda5 is the one to be deleted.
Last edited by pbear on Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

pbear wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:45 am
Actually, lsblk shows you have three disks, though sdc is a bit of a mystery (an old flash drive?).
I'd be leery of that. I have a NUC here that reports a phantom drive in Linux. It must be phantom because all attempts to locate it, including stripping the NUC down, failed to locate it.

pbear
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pbear »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:31 pm
pbear wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:45 am
I'd be leery of that. I have a NUC here that reports a phantom drive in Linux. It must be phantom because all attempts to locate it, including stripping the NUC down, failed to locate it.
[Smacks forehead] Of course, a phantom drive. Have had one of those myself. The mount point (/media/joe/REALTEK) supports that inference here, no? In any event, don't see how deleting a partition on sda will make it any worse. Am I missing anything?

Kadaitcha Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

pbear wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:38 pm
Am I missing anything?
I don't think so.

jtamark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jtamark »

How is this? I am booted from the USB, and I believe this is the computer's drives you need to see.

PartionBefore3.png

pbear
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pbear »

Yes, that's how I would expect things to look when you're booted from the live USB. Notice the little key symbols. They means those partitions are mounted. Mounted partitions can't be modified. In this case, that's okay, because I want you to leave swap (sda6) as is. No need to change sda3 either.

What you are going to do is right-click sda5 and select Delete. This assumes the answer to my prior question is "yes," you had booted Mate for your last screenshot. Click the check mark above the bar graph to Apply. Confirm deletion when asked (this assumes you have backups of all your data files, as both KMan and I have advised). Next, right-click sda7 and select Move/Resize. Easiest way to do that, I think, is to grab the little slider which will appear on the right side of the graphic, then pull it all the way to the right (until it's next to sda6) and let go. The numbers below the graph should show a big number for the new partition size and zero space after. Click Apply and acknowledge the warning. Close GParted and shut down the live session.

ETA: I'm going by recollection that you can delete sda5 and expand sda7 with sda3 locked. If I'm mistaken, you'll know right away, as the Delete option for the first step will be greyed out. In that event, right-click sda6 and select Swapoff. If sda3 is still locked, right-click it and select Unmount. Now you should be good to go.

Only one more step. Boot Mate the regular way. If you like, open GParted to admire your new partition scheme, then close it again. Open Terminal. Run sudo update-grub. Once complete, reboot. Your Grub menu now should reflect only Mate and Windows, no Cinnamon.

Return to “Software & Applications”