App for phone lost at home

Chat about just about anything else
Smily_Lynx
Level 1
Level 1

App for phone lost at home

Post by Smily_Lynx »

Hi everybody,

Everyday, I mislead my phone because it's hidden under a sheet of paper, a clothe or it's just in another room.
It's boring because I loose time to find it and I don't have a ground line or a smart watch to make it ring.

Is there any application I can install on phone and computer to activate a ring from the computer to help me find my phone ?

That should be greatly appreciated :D

Phone is running Android (but no access to Google services)
Computer is running Mint 19.3 but I guess andy .deb package shall be ok.
Last edited by karlchen on Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Lost phones are unrelated to Linux Mint. Thread moved to open chat therefore.

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Re: App for phone lost at home

Post by absque fenestris »

You might be able to transfer a small file using the NitroShare application - this should work in both directions. Of course, a clearly audible notification function must be activated on the phone.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

Smily_Lynx wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:00 pm
Is there any application I can install on phone and computer to activate a ring from the computer to help me find my phone ?
Have you tried using one of the online services? One day my mother will learn to use https://www.wheresmycellphone.com/ without assistance from me. (Yes, it is faster and easier to call her, but I keep telling her that she is old enough to do these things for herself.)
I think https://ringmycellphone.com/ works in China, but I have never used this service.

Smily_Lynx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Smily_Lynx »

@BenTrabetere
I tried both links but none works :(
The 1st one is only for US (country code is 1) and the second one doesn't offer China as country
Thanks anyway

@absque fenestris
I love the idea and installed Nitroshare on smartphone and laptop. Waiting for devices to be recongnized now

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

I have just the thing for you, I have it on my Android.
This requires you borrow another cellphone and send yourself a text 'FindMe' all in lowercase.

Install MacroDroid https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... roid&hl=en

the app comes with some Examples/Templates, and one of those happens to be "Find my phone"

you set that example up to read a message: FindMe
you set that up to read all incoming Text SMS messages and it reads the contents of that message.
when an SMS comes in saying 'FindMe' it causes the phone to play a media file, you should pick one that is obnoxious, loud, and long.

you can create the macro by yourself in about 5 minutes, the following Screen Shots will be all you need.

those with a Sharp Eye will note that one of my Macros is Call Ended
the reason for that macro is when using Bluetooth and the called is dropped, or they hang up, there is nothing to indicate bye bye blackbird..... just dead silence... and me saying "hello, are you still there?"

So, I created that Macro to play a special tune that is reserved for Call Ended....
and it will play into my Bluetooth headset, and also plays thru the speaker.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AZgl1500 »

I created another macro that sends back my Geo location to anyone who sends the SMS message "whereareyou"

the macro polls the GPS receiver, and then sends the Lat/Long in a message that can be tapped with your finger and brings up Google Maps.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

Put the thing in your pocket!
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Smily_Lynx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Smily_Lynx »

@AZgl1500

The idea sounds good. I installed MacroDroid and triggered a macro playing a sound when receiving SMS.
As I do not have a second phone I used websites offering free SMS but SMS never reach my phone :(
I tried several websites but always have an issue and SMS is lost on his way.

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AZgl1500 »

Smily_Lynx wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:35 pm
@AZgl1500

The idea sounds good. I installed MacroDroid and triggered a macro playing a sound when receiving SMS.
As I do not have a second phone I used websites offering free SMS but SMS never reach my phone :(
I tried several websites but always have an issue and SMS is lost on his way.
I have used the Verizon website to send SMS, but never tried it to find my phone, I will do that right now.

https://www.onlinetextmessage.com/veriz ... essage.php

the SMS was received by my phone
but the macro did not see a valid phone number, this is what came through:

[3/26/20 11:00 PM] xxxx@gmail.com: (findme) findme
Send free txt msgs @ www.onlinetextmessage.com

so it looks like a separate macro needs to be created to detect that message header.

now, for the 'whereareyou' SMS
that was received but it shows the web address, not a 'contact number' and the macro needs a Contact Number....

So, here is what I suggest you do, create an Account with google find my phone.
https://www.google.com/search?q=google+find+my+phone

and then it will ring your phone.
the very instant that I clicked on " Ring your Phone " it started ringing Non-Stop until I picked it up and answered it.....

this is going to be your best choice if you don't have a 2nd phone in the house, or a close by friend.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Smily_Lynx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Smily_Lynx »

Hi AZgl1500

Thanks for all your advices. Unfortunatly, I cannot use Verizon free SMS because it seems to be restricted to the US (I cannot fill in my full phone number using the international parameters, ie 00+[country code]+local phone number)

About google, as I live in China, I cannot use the google's services...

So, I guess the best is to rely on a sharing-file app to let the phone ring. Nitroshare doesnt't so I am trying GSconnect, but it's kind of tricky

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AZgl1500 »

Smily_Lynx wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:07 pm
Hi AZgl1500

Thanks for all your advices. Unfortunatly, I cannot use Verizon free SMS because it seems to be restricted to the US (I cannot fill in my full phone number using the international parameters, ie 00+[country code]+local phone number)

About google, as I live in China, I cannot use the google's services...

So, I guess the best is to rely on a sharing-file app to let the phone ring. Nitroshare doesnt't so I am trying GSconnect, but it's kind of tricky
No loss with the Verizon SMS website thingy bob, it is useless, and it does not supply a valid cellphone number, therefore, the Macros that I wrote will not detect the incoming messages.

it is very reliable IF a real cellphone is used to send the messages to my phone, it works every time.

sorry that you can't use Google, but, can you install a VPN and then choose a US side server?
but that may not work, with your country, as fees are usually involved in International calls.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Open chat”