Which LM Version is best

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
cantona01
Level 1
Level 1

Which LM Version is best

Post by cantona01 »

Hi every one
I am learning about linux, can you tell me which version is best?
Last edited by karlchen on Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Completed the title by prefixing "Which LM" (version is best). Else the question raises: version of what?

kc1di
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Version is best

Post by kc1di »

Hello cantona01,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums.

The best version for you would be the one that runs on you equipment and accomplishes what you want to get done.

Mint is a very good Distro and well polished. It comes in three Desktop versions.
1. Cinnamon - if your computer is quite new and you have good graphics card with at least 4 GB ram it should work well for you.
2. Mate - Very traditional desktop environment - If you like windows xp /7 you'll most likely feel quite at home with Mate. It requires somewhat less resources and will run on older computers.
3. XFCE - very robust and configurable desktop- It is good for older machines. and you can make it look the way you want.

But best way to tell which one is for you is to try the live DVD/USB for each one for a day or two and see what suits you best. then install that one.
Good luck in your search.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Which LM Version is best

Post by majpooper »

kc1di - great answer to an open ended question. There is no "best version"
I have talked to LM fans who have very powerful systems who could easily run Cinnamon but love MATE for example.

kc1di
Level 15
Level 15

Post by kc1di »

majpooper wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:05 am
kc1di - great answer to an open ended question. There is no "best version"
I have talked to LM fans who have very powerful systems who could easily run Cinnamon but love MATE for example.
Yep, I am using Cinnamon at the moment, but have used XFCE for many years over many Distros. I always seem to come back to it. It just works for me most of the time :) But it's really a very subjective thing and each has to find his/her comfort zone.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

There is no universally accepted best version. The best version for you is whatever you happen to like. Youtube will give you hundreds of personal opinions which you can test by downloading to a USB stick for testing (without installation) on your computer.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

ParaDice
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ParaDice »

kc1di wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:41 am
I am using Cinnamon at the moment [...] I always seem to come back to it.
Same here. What's great about Cinnamon is that it is extremely customisable. Before switching to Linux, I'd been a Windoze power user and my everyday workflow relied heavily on key combinations and shortcuts. Thanks to Cinnamon's customisability I could set up my hotkeys in pretty much the way I was used to, thus making the switch to Linux extremely painless with zero loss in productivity.
This is something the OP may want to consider as well.
To get help, always post your system configuration: open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T), type the following command and copy its output:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Still flogging 3 old battle scarred vet PCs that have fought their way back from the curb thru pure stubbornness ... XFCE all the way.
Linux Mint on 2 & Peppermint on 1.
Peppermint has a "Christmassy" look with the red desktop ... a technically sound criterion if there ever was one. :mrgreen:

pbear
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pbear »

Personally, I like the pragmatic simplicity of MATE. Mostly posting to say, if you're inclined to Mate based on other reviews, the Mint version is much better than the Ubuntu version, IMHO. Indeed, I like the standard Ubuntu desktop (Gnome) quite a lot, but would never use Ubuntu Mate.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Return to “Newbie Questions”