Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
krauster
Level 1
Level 1

Zoom conferencing - no audio going to speakers

Post by krauster »

Mint 19.3 on Dell laptops - I have two of them M4500 and M4600. I'm a linux newbie.

I've downloaded and installed through the Software Manager the Zoom application. When the configuration window comes up and I go to set the audio I can see the microphone responding to my voice. But I can't hear anything with the "Click Test Speaker to make sure you can hear others" box. There is a pulldown with two choices, neither of which work: "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo" and "GF108 High Definition Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI 2)".

On other apps like Firefox I can play youtube fine, and I've got Google Play Music working too. And for that matter Skype works fine too. What might be happening with Zoom?

MrEen
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Zoom conferencing - no audio going to speakers

Post by MrEen »

Hi krauster.

My first suggestion would be to install and run PulseAudio Volume Control (pavucontrol) and look at the Playback tab when clicking on Test Speaker. If Zoom shows there, make sure the sound is up and not muted. See how it worked for one user here.

The Mic settings will be on the Recording tab when it's active, but until it's in use, it probably won't show up there.

I assume the Software Manager version is the Flatpak version?

You might want to try downloading the deb from zoom here: https://zoom.us/download?os=linux

If you can't get yours working, uninstall it and try the deb version.

krauster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krauster »

A few things I might as well take the opportunity to learn before trying the deb version:

1)
You ask if it is the flatpack version coming from the Software Manager. So I figure I would maybe see it and be able to tell you the extension and that might tell you what version it is. So I go to the Downloads list in Firefox but even when I click the folder icon to the right of the zoom entry in my downloads list it doesn't open the downloads directory. So then I go to my user folder on the desktop and find the downloads folder there and I don't see that zoom entry there. I see some docs i have downloaded but not the type of stuff that the Software Manager downloads. 1a) So where is that directory?

2)
I downloaded the Pulse Audio and launched it. Then went to the Zoom audio settings and clicked the "Click Test Speaker...." with the "High Definition Audio...." output set by default and I actually could very faintly hear something. I did not see anything happening in the Pulse Audio. Then I thought to try to the other Built-in Audio and on that I heard nothing and saw nothing. Then came back to the High Def setting and didn't even hear the faint audio. Does that give a hint what might be going on?

3)
When I downloaded Pulse Audio and launched it it put a speaker icon in Docky while running that goes away when I close Pulse Audio. Now I want to put it in Docky. I see that if I find it from the Menu I can right click and add it to the panel. But I can't pin it to the Docky. I've noticed this with some but not all other applications. Why does that happen and what is the workaround?

UPDATE: I unstalled the version that I had downloaded through the Software Manager and saw that it was labeled a flatpack. Went to the zoom.us and downloaded the Mint version. Ran it. Still have the same problem. No audio coming out. I view it through Pulse Audio and don't see any activity, plus I see and hear other applications. Somebody was mentioning in the link above to another thread that through Pulse that they saw it muted. My mute button is not on, so it's not that.

MrEen
Level 17
Level 17

Post by MrEen »

First, be sure it's not muted on the Playback tab of PulseAudio Volume Control. It can be muted there and not on your normal volume icon.

You definitely want the Built-in Audio for sound to come through your speakers. The other is for sending sound over HDMI, to a TV for example.

Maybe something else could be blocking, so run this command and paste back the output and I'll look through it:

Code: Select all

curl https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/raw/master/src/utils/pa-info?inline=false | bash | nc termbin.com 9999
In an atetmpt to answer your questions:
1. The easiest way to see what you downloaded is via the Software Manager as you found out. There are other ways, but it's not something I ever tried to investigate.
2. I'm quite surprised you had some faint sound at first with the wrong setting. Probably some bleed through or something similar.
3. I'm afraid I don't use Docky so have no idea how to get that icon there. Others may be able to help with that.

krauster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krauster »

Man, I feel stupid. I didn't really check that zoom was actually just working without going into the settings. I was in settings, it was telling me to push the Test Speaker button but I was pushing the button below it. Anyway, I don't have a problem. And now I have Pulse Audio loaded for future use, like setting balance between different apps if I need to. Thanks.

MrEen
Level 17
Level 17

Post by MrEen »

Hey, if it's all working, I'm happy! :D

Return to “Software & Applications”