Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Waterfox install [Solved]

Post by WHVW »

Hi All:

Just installed Waterfox (in the quest for private browsing) but I can find no way to start it: Typing "waterfox" in Terminal doesn't work, there is no icon, and looking over the folder reveals no item that looks like it would start the programme, although I will fully admit that I am quite capable of missing it.

Anyone know?

Thanks.
Last edited by WHVW on Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Waterfox install

Post by Moem »

Inside the Waterfox folder, is there anything called 'waterfox'? If so, try running that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

WHVW wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:19 pm
Just installed Waterfox (in the quest for private browsing)
Of course, now that it has been handed over to a company who are primarily known for caring about private user data. :wink:
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

Moem:

I forgot to mention that I found such a folder; clicked on it, it did nothing.

karlchen:

Now (if I can indeed get it running) I should check the dates- before Feb. might be O.K. for now.

Better browsers, anyone?

Thanks.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

WHVW wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:01 pm
Moem:

I forgot to mention that I found such a folder; clicked on it, it did nothing.
It's not a folder, or if it is, it's not the right thing. Should be a file, not a folder. Once you find it, try rightclicking it and choosing a suitable option. Or doubleclick.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

Moem:

Nope, nothing works.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Then I don't know. If nothing works, then we're done.
(I'm currently running the version from the Hawkeye PPA. That one installs with a menu entry.)

WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Post by WHVW »

Moem:

Did the smart thing, deleted that stuff and did the manual install from the Hawkeye PPA that you showed me in your reply. Et voilá! Now it works perfectly! Thank you.

But Karlchen points out some dark clouds on the horizon:

Of course, now that it has been handed over to a company who are primarily known for caring about private user data. :wink:

- karlchen
Sure enough, the version I downloaded and installed a few minutes ago is dated 11 March 2020. Has it yet been "poisoned"? Just a matter of time? Will the project be carried on by someone else?

I fear the answers might be yes, yes and no.
How I wish the EFF would "carry on the project". I can't think of anyone else as knowledgeable on the subject as they. I sure hope that the next post is not (half humour here) to inform me that the EFF is funded and staffed by Micro$oft, Apple, Google and the NSA.

Later.

greentea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by greentea »

WHVW wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:52 pm

Sure enough, the version I downloaded and installed a few minutes ago is dated 11 March 2020. Has it yet been "poisoned"? Just a matter of time? Will the project be carried on by someone else?
You should read the following from the original developer:
Waterfox has joined System1

February 14, 2020

Waterfox now has funding and a development team, so Waterfox can finally start to grow!
https://www.waterfox.net/blog/waterfox- ... d-system1/
Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64-bit; home built Core i5-8600K and Intel integrated graphics; ASRock H370 mATX; 8 GB mem; NVMe & SATA SSD; 1TB HDD

WHVW
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Waterfox install [Solved]

Post by WHVW »

greentea :

Hi, I've already read that. It didn't inspire any confidence, especially the part where he says something to the effect of: "I don't know why folks think of Waterfox as a privacy browser"......I scratched that one off my list.

later...

Return to “Software & Applications”