Before you post please read how to get help
rene
Level 15
Level 15

Re: How to properly network two Linux Mint computers so I can sync [SOLVED]

Post by rene »

nn70 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 6:33 pm
I pretty much understand the commands, but what does -c3 do? I just searched it up but it seems too short and specific for my search engine.
In that case the by far most useful answer I can give is: "see man ping."

The vast majority of command line tools, and some GUI ones, have documentation available via the man(ual) system directly on your own system, If you use the internet for the purpose, other than finding lots of plainly irrelevant information you will also tend to hit on things that look relevant and/or are on a different Linux distribution, and/or were a few versions ago, and/or ..., but none of that you necessarily recognize to be the case when you need the manual in the first place. I.e., the internet should be a last resort as to documentation --- which funny enough seems to be true in just about any context really, not just those of Linux command line tools, but certainly preferably use the man system for those.

The shorter answer I could've given was that the -c parameter to ping is the count, number, of pings to send. If you don't supply it, it keeps on going and I have to specify using Ctrl-C to shut it down.

nn70
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nn70 »

Ah yes - I see it. I did not realise the -c3 was associated with the ping. I am starting to get a little bit used to the way commands are written in the terminal, but...........

It still surprises me that there is no globally recognised (in the terminal) separation character in between one command and another - just spaces. But there are spaces to be found, I think, within commands, so I get confused.

So so so much to learn.

By the way that ping number switch thing will come in handy. I've used ping a few times since I moved to mint and everytime I have been unable to stop it and just had to shut the terminal window.

Anyway, I'm going to get the laptop out now. Head scratching to come I fear :D

nn70
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nn70 »

Holy sh.....

Every time I do this kind of thing it turns into a major job and painful thinking exercise!! But, I am getting practice and I think I'm getting more used to it.

I altered my /etc/exports so that the ip address was replaced by laptop.local or desktop.local (depending on the machine).

But when I tried to mount it it was working in one direction but not in the other. As I changed stuff to try to fix it this situation reversed a couple of times.

Then I changed it back to ip addresses and it was working in one direction but not the other.

Then I noticed that I had a pile of updates pending on the laptop. Installed them and a reboot was required. Once I rebooted it was ok again so I'm guessing some component was out of date and causing problems.

But during all this I noticed that the linux networking controller tool allows you to very easily clone a mac, so I cloned the laptop ethernet mac to the laptop wifi connection. Now I can just switch one of them off before enabling the other and I always get the same ip allocated by the router, so I think I'm good now.

rene
Level 15
Level 15

Post by rene »

Okay :)

nn70
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nn70 »

Nothing worth doing, or learning, is ever easy :D :D

rene
Level 15
Level 15

Post by rene »

Need to by the way say that your solution is... interesting at least. Hadn't considered that as a possibility.

And now that I'm further muddying this thread anyway / after all, note that:
nn70 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:34 am
It still surprises me that there is no globally recognised (in the terminal) separation character in between one command and another - just spaces.
is not the case. The such globally recognised command separation character is ;, the semicolon. Unless/until you find one of those you are still in the first command, i.e., are looking at a command parameter. Can't also really see where the remark came from, so if you have a specific example you'd like clarified, shoot.

nn70
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nn70 »

It came from my misunderstanding of what I'm saying I reckon :D

I was actually thinking about one part of a command and then the next. Like in mounting or copying. You specify the source and then the destination and all that separates them is a space, and there are spaces elsewhere too. For a new user like me it's easy to get thrown by that. Which bit relates to which bit is the question that dogs me.

For example:

cp /home/user/Documents/file.txt /home/user/Desktop
...........................................^^

Only a space there.
Last edited by nn70 on Sun May 24, 2020 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

nn70
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nn70 »

And I'll remember that about the semi-colon as I didn't know what its purpose was until now.

rene
Level 15
Level 15

Post by rene »

<scratching head>

I find it hard to understand what you mean precisely. By "only spaces" you seem to say that you'd have actually liked a different character as an argument separation character? I.e., something like

Code: Select all

cp|/home/user/Documents/file.txt|/home/user/Desktop
Well, that could have been the convention but as is, rather than the character "|" the character " " was chosen for the purpose. Potato, potahto basically. Note that for example options, i.e., as in

cp -v /home/user/Documents/file.txt /home/user/Desktop
don't as far as the system is concerned make for a different category. The executable cp just gets 3 arguments supplied, -v, /home/user/Documents/file.txt and /home/user/Desktop. It's up to cp itself to from the starting hyphen - interpret -v as an option. A starting hyphen denoting an option is of course a very strong convention but still, as far as "the system" is concerned there's nothing special about it: just one of the space-seperated arguments to cp.

Potato, potahto --- but had the convention been "|" we would have needed to escape or quote a few less spaces that are in fact part of a parameter. I.e., the space as an argument separator means we need to say e.g.

cp "/home/user/Documents/file with spaces in its name.txt" /home/user/Desktop
to let the system know that in that case, no, the word "with" is not the next argument; that the spaces here are in fact part of the first argument. Still, I'll take the quoting over

cp|/home/user/Documents/file with spaces in its name.txt|/home/user/Desktop

nn70
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nn70 »

It's just that I'm not used to it. I think it's like introducing someone to grammatical conditions in a foreign language. There would be things in the structure of the language that they did not expect and seem surprising to them.

Here is the kind of thing I would have expected. It would not be better - it would be worse as it would take so much longer to type.

cp /home/user/stuff/file.txt TODESTINATION /home/user/otherstuff

mount 192.168.1.4://home/stuff TOTHISFOLDER /mnt/evenmorestuff

But instead of my clumsy big explanation commands there are simply spaces. The way it is done is better - it's just not intuitive to my mind as I'm new to it. It's hard for you to get your head round why I'm thinking this way as you speak the language fluently, whereas I most certainly don't :D .

I want to learn it the way it actually is, but I think my brain wants the terminal to be more like a GUI. GUI's contain buttons that clearly state source and destination and stuff like that.

rene
Level 15
Level 15

Post by rene »

You would've loved COBOL...

nn70
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nn70 »

I searched it and I see what you mean :D

Are you a well informed enthusiast or a programmer / sysadmin?

rene
Level 15
Level 15

Post by rene »

I regularly program things both privately and professionally yet would not characterise myself "a programmer". Would give a black eye anyone who'd refer to me as "a sysadmin".

As to enthusiast... as long as it's understood that enthusiasts can hate computers, feel free to mname me such. More I consider private ;-)

nn70
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nn70 »

I am venturing into waters I don't understand then :D . I don't know anything of the negative connotations of being a sysadmin, but I don't work in an office so I don't know any of them, or any office workers.

I am a person who likes to tinker and I like learning new things. I've built 3 computers for myself, I built our company website (wordpress - I didn't write the html) and it's a good one, and I've taught myself lots of other things, but coding is a bridge too far. I've looked at various computer languages with interest but my mind is repelled by the complexity. I feel it must take years to be able to understand it all.

Take something like Digikam, or kdelive, or even Xed. It amazes me that someone can sit down and start typing out lines of code and end up with something like that. It seems like magic.

rene
Level 15
Level 15

Post by rene »

Python you can basically take as fast and as slow as you please, and allows for multiple paradigms. I'd quite advise it as a first language -- possibly after "shell", shell scripts, i.e. "batch files" in old DOS/Windows terminology.

nn70
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nn70 »

I had a look and it didn't bend my brain as much as other code I've seen. I think I'd better get myself capable of writing a few terminal commands for myself first though :D

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

nn70
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nn70 »

Looks useful. Thanks.

Return to “Other networking topics”