Tractor owners cought in the tesla/Apple?android proprietery trap.

Chat about Linux in general
Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Tractor owners cought in the tesla/Apple?android proprietery trap.

Post by Petermint »

We use Linux Mint to avoid the traps of proprietary software. Tesla, Apple, and Android users are licked into privacy hell. No tractor owners are complaining about the manufacturers tracking them and refusing to let the device owners repair the devices. The agricultural devices record all sorts of details to help make work essier but the farmers cannot download the data when they wan to switch brands. Sounds like your contact list on you Samsung phone.

In Australia, our ACCC is launching an enquiry. I hope they do the same for Android.

The ACCC could also investigate Apple devices but the owners will probably not report anything until Apple tells them to. Anybody conscious enough to understand "locked in" has already switched from Apple to other brands.

Add the government moves to make people install a COVID-19 location tracking application along side the 60 other applications tracking our location. In Australia, so many politicians demanded exemption that the government gave up.

Tractors should run Linux Mint, not Microsoft MacOS.

Will they extend Australia's privacy laws to stop Tesla tracking every driver and tractor manufacturers from doing a Microsoft/Apple/Google?

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Tractor owners cought in the tesla/Apple?android proprietery trap.

Post by Pierre »

In the United States, farmers have risked voiding their warranties by hacking their own John Deere tractors,
& with torrented software so they can carry out their own repairs.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2018- ... ir/9470658

Farmers in places as far-flung as America's Midwest to Australia's grain belts are complaining about an increasing technological burden being thrust upon them — software malfunctions that can leave $800,000 pieces of farm machinery sitting idle in paddocks.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-19/ ... c/12156196
in America - - some states have now Legislated the "Right to Repair".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Time was when all you needed was a bit of fencing wire and a hammer to fix anything farm related. Oh! For those simpler times....... hmmm? :?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint »

No need for fencing wire when you find meteorites you can bang into long thin strips. :D
No need for a hammer when there is granite and you have an earth mover to dig it up. :oops:

rene
Level 15
Level 15

Post by rene »

lsemmens wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:07 pm
Time was when all you needed was a bit of fencing wire and a hammer to fix anything farm related.
Including the missus!

RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

In this country they talk about the "Number 8 fencing wire mentality." Meaning get a bit of fencing wire and design or fix anything. And a lot of things have come from this country, supposedly because of this approach. We don't have it, can't get it, so make one.

GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

This is not a simple issue with a simple answer. It is a very complex issue with probably a range of answers, each one bad in its own way.

And the solution for protecting privacy being ultimately in the hands of governments is ironically laughable because governments are the worst enemy of privacy.

In Europe there are lots of laws with the ostensible purpose of "protecting privacy" but they are only a bureaucratic nightmare with no practical results. But yeah, when you open a web page you have to click on pop-ups agreeing to the use of cookies like there is someone in the world who does not know about cookies by now. It is retarded.

I definitely do not want every country hick to be able to tinker with his vehicle's software. "Hey! You just ran over my wife and killed her!" "Oh, yeah, sorry 'bout that. I'll have to review what's wrong with the code I modified last night."
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108

Dark Owl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dark Owl »

Yes and no. Certainly there should be a right to repair, but that's not the same as a right to dick around with the item's operation. You buy it on the basis of what it does - if you don't like what it does don't buy it.

Apple devices are slick, work, and are easy to use by non-computer people. Windows and Linux are not. Go figure.
Currently: Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit 3.4.1, AMD Ryzen5

GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GS3 »

Well, "what it does" in many cases is phone home and ask what it should do, so the manufacturer can disable functions. Hey, the car is all yours! You just can't use it!

E.g.: tesla-disables-supercharging-salvaged-vehicles/
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint »

My new Samsung/Android spams every week trying to install new spyware. I stayed with Samsung after a project where we had to use iPhones and nothing worked. At least I could switch stuff off on the old Samsung phone and install what I wanted. On the new model, things randomly switch themselves back on. Imagine the farmer's thresher when the farmer drops a spanner into the chute.

Samsung software: The farmer has his arm in the chute. He must want it threshed.

Apple software: I will wait until he has his head in because no farmer would want just his arm threshed.

Dark Owl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dark Owl »

The fact my iPad can be bricked remotely makes it far less attractive to tea leaves. As a techie, do I want to disable that function just in case Apple choose to do the dirty on me? Maybe, depends how paranoid I feel at the time, but I certainly don't want thieves to be able to turn it off. As an overall measure which protects all iPad owners from the inefficiency of the police, it's a good measure.

Geeks are a small proportion of any modern consumer products user base. The majority have no knowledge or interest in how it works, they just want it to work... and anything which is connected to the Internet has to be updatable remotely and without user intervention (otherwise there is a good chance it will stop working because of hostile action).

So, is Tesla supposed to be happy if they get sued for an accident when some geek decided to hack the software and accidentally turn off a critical safety system? (The suit might not succeed, but it could still be costly to defend.)

Consumer products need to be managed remotely, because consumers have to be assumed to be idiots. Geeks can make their own arrangements (open hardware platforms, Linux, etc) and take their own risks. It's very easy to be gung-ho from an armchair, not so easy if you are investing hundreds of millions into manufacturing a product required to pass all manner of international standards and not get sued for it.
Currently: Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit 3.4.1, AMD Ryzen5

Return to “Chat about Linux”