[SOLVED] Timeshift screwed up system: Snapshots in Timeshift are hidden now?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
deck_luck
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Timeshift screwed up system: Snapshots in Timeshift are hidden now?

Post by deck_luck »

Kobalt wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 12:07 pm
Thanks for all your replies and sorry for this really delayed reply from myself bc. of lack of time, recently.

Unfortunately nobody addressed my question as far as I can see. So, I'd like to ask for your help again.
Kobalt wrote:Two of the snapshots (taking up around 50% disk space) don't appear in Timeshift (command line, "timeshift --list", and GUI). They exist in /timeshift/snapshots/ though (and still take up around 50 % of my disk space).

Research in the internet suggest just to delete these two snapshot folders. I'm not sure about that, esp. about potentially remaining artefacts on the system. Any hints on how to delete them correctly and completely?
Thanks in advance.
The TimeShift program maintains a configuration file in the head directory of each snapshot. I believe the configuration file is probably missing due to an unexpected termination or inability to write the file due the file system space exhaustion.

Please provide the output from the following commands:

Code: Select all

sudo ls -l /timeshift/snapshots/
sudo ls -l /timeshift/snapshots/*/info*
If the two unrecognized snapshots in question do not contain the info.json file, my assumption was correct. If the info.json file exist, please post the output of the files. Out of curiosity, I look forward to your reply.
💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ 🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE
How to get help How to mark topic as [Solved]

Kobalt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kobalt »

deck_luck wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:03 pm
The TimeShift program maintains a configuration file in the head directory of each snapshot. I believe the configuration file is probably missing due to an unexpected termination or inability to write the file due the file system space exhaustion.

Please provide the output from the following commands:

Code: Select all

sudo ls -l /timeshift/snapshots/
sudo ls -l /timeshift/snapshots/*/info*
If the two unrecognized snapshots in question do not contain the info.json file, my assumption was correct. If the info.json file exist, please post the output of the files. Out of curiosity, I look forward to your reply.
Thanks for this very helpful and comprehensible explanation and idea. Unfortunately I went another way after receiving the other two little helpful responses, additionally the computer in question is a laptop I have no access to anymore (bc. it is of a friend of mine). I would have really liked to try these commands to check if your explanation is right and a better solution could have been found.

My Solution: Start TimeShift > Tab. "Browse" > Opens Window with enhanced rights; choose Snapshot folder and Delete (right-click > Delete; not Move to Trash).

The disk space is free again. Still, I'm not sure if artefacts may remain and afflict harm later to the system.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Re: [SOLVED] Timeshift screwed up system: Snapshots in Timeshift are hidden now?

Post by pbear »

So, you revived the thread for no reason. Nice. :roll:

deck_luck
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deck_luck »

Kobalt wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:56 am

Thanks for this very helpful and comprehensible explanation and idea. Unfortunately I went another way after receiving the other two little helpful responses, additionally the computer in question is a laptop I have no access to anymore (bc. it is of a friend of mine). I would have really liked to try these commands to check if your explanation is right and a better solution could have been found.

My Solution: Start TimeShift > Tab. "Browse" > Opens Window with enhanced rights; choose Snapshot folder and Delete (right-click > Delete; not Move to Trash).

The disk space is free again. Still, I'm not sure if artefacts may remain and afflict harm later to the system.
I was more focused on the root cause and neglected to mention any clean up. :wink:
I think you are are good to go.
💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ 🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE
How to get help How to mark topic as [Solved]

Kobalt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kobalt »

deck_luck wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 12:02 am
I was more focused on the root cause and neglected to mention any clean up. :wink:
I think you are are good to go.
I noticed that, but identifying the root cause may also have led to a better clean up solution. :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”