VPN plan for a home network

Chat about Linux in general
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

VPN plan for a home network

Post by feffer »

Retired, but would like secure access when traveling. In the past, I've used ssh to remotely log into my home LAN...only minor terminal based use. But lately I've been researching setting up a VPN server. I have an OpenWRT flashed Netgear 7800 router and asked about installing OpenVPN on their forum. Immediately, people responded with, "...use WireGuard, it's much better than OpenVPN...and Linus likes it!" So I've been researching. It seems easy to install in OpenWRT's environment as WG is in their software repo. So that would cover the VPN server side. Evidently, there is also a WG app for our iPhones too. The situation for the client machine is a bit in flux. I'm running Mint_18.2 and Mint_19 on a MacBook. WG isn't in the Mint repo's but could be had thru a PPA. Eventually, it will be handled directly by the 5.6 kernel (I think I read). Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

Never used VPN before, but I think this plan would provide secure remote access, and I wouldn't need a special VPN serice provider to do it. However, I would not have some of the features that a VPN service would provide...like anonymity, and some other things? Are there other "killer" features that a dedicated VPN service would provide?

Finally, would it be just as useful to enable video thru a remote ssh session? Never tried that either.

GS3
Level 6
Level 6

Re: VPN plan for a home network

Post by GS3 »

I am not sure of what your final aim is. Is it to access your home network and servers while on the road? Or is it to VPN home and go out to the Internet from there? What are you trying to do and what are you trying to prevent?
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia - Kernel 5.3.0-51-generic x86_64 - Cinnamon 4.4.8 - Nvidia GF108

Return to “Chat about Linux”