Virtual Box and Mint Cinnamon?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
BuckSkin
Level 2
Level 2

Virtual Box and Mint Cinnamon?

Post by BuckSkin »

I previously had Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon 64-bit installed as dual-boot alongside Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
I still have the ISO file and also an installation DVD that I created.
When I swapped in a SSD as system drive, I never could get the Linux partitions to clone for whatever reason, so I just cloned the Windows partitions and forgot about Linux for a while.
Dual-booting was always a pain as as soon as I got booted into one system, I had need for the other; get a dozen programs open and then have to close out of everything to switch horses in the middle of the creek.

Then, I found out about Virtual Box, downloaded and installed it in Windows 7 Pro as "Host" ; version 6.0.

My questions: (It will be obvious that I am somewhat adrift in all this)
1. I already have 64-bit Mint 19 Cinnamon; how many versions behind am I ?
2. Just what would I be missing if I went with the Mint 19 Cinnamon that I already have ?
3. If I go with what I have, how big a hassle is it going to be to update to something more recent ?
4. I read of "Importing Appliances" ; does that mean that I can download a ready-to-load package of Mint Cinnamon and just pop it in ?
5. If 4 above is possible, where do I get such a ready to go "appliance" ?

Thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.
>>>>> Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64-bit <<<<<
>>> Virtual Guest on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit Host <<<
>> Network-connected with numerous Windows 7 Machines <<

RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Virtual Box and Mint Cinnamon ???

Post by RIH »

You may as well download the latest version of Mint 19.3 & load that into VirtualBox.
You could load up what you have, but then you would probably be faced with a large amount of updates to run.

It is only as much hassle to download a new version as to go here:
https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
select which version you want, download it & then burn the iso to a DVD or USB.

To Import as an Appliance you (or some one else) will have already needed to create a Mint 19.3 VirtualBox guest & then exported it as an appliance.
I am not sure that this route is going to save you anything - unless you have a friend who has already created the export for you.

Creating a VirtualBox guest out of a Mint 19.3 iso is a pretty simple task that VirtualBox walks you through.
You do have to put some thought into how much of the Windows host resources you wish to devote to the guest.
The minimum suggested by VirtualBox (in my opinion) will leave you with a disappointingly slow guest.
Host: bob-Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-101-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

BuckSkin wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:54 am
1. I already have 64-bit Mint 19 Cinnamon; how many versions behind am I ?
2. Just what would I be missing if I went with the Mint 19 Cinnamon that I already have ?
3. If I go with what I have, how big a hassle is it going to be to update to something more recent ?
4. I read of "Importing Appliances" ; does that mean that I can download a ready-to-load package of Mint Cinnamon and just pop it in ?
5. If 4 above is possible, where do I get such a ready to go "appliance" ?

1) Current release is 19.3 - Mint 20 is expected to be available within a month or two

2) Between 19 and 19.3 - Mainly improvements to Cinnamon and the Mint specific tools - Update manager, Software manager, Xapps etc. Mint 20 will be on a new Ubuntu base so you'll benefit from new versions of software across the board.

3) Upgrading from 19 to 19.3 post install is fairly painless. Upgrade from 19 to 19.3 to 20 is an involved and error prone process and I'd alwasy recommend a fresh install/

4) You can just 'insert' the downloaded ISO into a newly created Virtual machine's virtual optical drive and install normally.

5) Mint don't provide any official Vbox appliances - there are a few sites that provide them. Do you trust them not to have tinkered? But here's one option - https://www.osboxes.org/linux-mint/
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

BuckSkin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BuckSkin »

RIH wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:36 am
You do have to put some thought into how much of the Windows host resources you wish to devote to the guest.
The minimum suggested by VirtualBox (in my opinion) will leave you with a disappointingly slow guest.
Thanks; I am in the process of downloading the latest version.

If I assign a given amount of RAM to Virtual Box, is that RAM always allotted to Virtual Box, even when the program is closed; or, does the allotted RAM become available for the "host" to use when Virtual Box is closed ?

RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

VB only uses RAM resources when the guest is actually running...

BuckSkin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BuckSkin »

Okay, I got the latest version and figured out how to load the ISO in Virtual Box.
Now, I am a bit confused...
I have a Linux desktop that seems to be working, yet there is an icon that says "Install Linux Mint"
Other than that, it acts like it is already installed; I have only clicked on various things and then closed them; I haven't really tried to do anything other than nose around.
Do I need to "Install" or is it already installed ?

I am posting this from Windows.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Virtual Box and Mint Cinnamon?

Post by Moem »

You need to install. What you are seeing is the 'live' environment that serves, among other things, to allow you to test whether Mint is to your liking and whether everything works as it should. It does not allow permanent installation of software; it's a blank slate every time. It can be very useful to fix things or rescue data, so it's good to keep it around.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

BuckSkin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BuckSkin »

Please tell me that there is a way to make the virtual O/S fill the screen instead of the little tiny area that it occupies.

Thanks.

RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

After you have installed Mint you need to start it up then left mouse click on
Devices
Then select the last item - Insert Guest additions

Allow that to run, restart Mint & full screen will be available..
VB.png
VB.png (89.76 KiB) Viewed 275 times

AndyMH
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AndyMH »

BuckSkin wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:03 am
Please tell me that there is a way to make the virtual O/S fill the screen instead of the little tiny area that it occupies.
Personally, I'd do it the other way round, run mint as the primary OS with win7 in a VM. It's what I do.

As well as full screen, you can also run seamless (this is where your desktop is your primary OS but you get the VM OS taskbar/panel above the main panel. As has been said, you need to install the extension pack in your primary OS and guest additions in the VM OS. You toggle between full screen and seamless with Right Alt (or Ctrl) + L. Screenshot is mint primary OS with win7 taskbar above.
Screenshot from 2020-05-21 12-06-31.png
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

BuckSkin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BuckSkin »

Thanks to everyone !

I have not yet had time to get Mint installed.

Are the "Guest Additions" and "Extension Pack" already included in my initial download/installation and all I need do is tell it to install them, or are they things that I need download separately ?

>>> EDIT: I went back to the downloads page and found and downloaded the "Extension Pack" version that matches the version of Virtual Box that I have.
The Extension Pack download didn't specify whether it was for any particular O/S ; it just said "Extension Pack".
I did not see any download for "Guest Additions"

AndyMH
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AndyMH »

The extension pack is OS agnostic.

Guest additions is 'built in', just do what RIH suggested. Note - straightforward with a win guest, it will automatically ask if you want to run the exe, don't know about linux as a guest.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

FYI, Cinnamon needs 3D acceleration to run correctly. It's a setting, under Display. Doesn't take effect until you run guest additions and reboot.

BuckSkin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BuckSkin »

I have run against a bit of a snag.

During the install process, in the step that comes after choosing the keyboard layout, there is a message "You need at least disk 10.7 GB space to install Linux Mint. This computer has only 10.7 GB."

The message itself is sort of contradictory; it says I need the same amount that it says I have.

Anyhow, it will not allow me to proceed; and, I cannot figure out how to allot a bit more disk space.

Do I need to close out of the Linux install and start completely over, or what ?

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

Yes, you have to start over. I generally give Mint VM test boxes a 40 GB virtual hard drive.
If you don't have that much space available on the SSD, maybe don't bother.
Or consider getting a USB hard drive and putting the VM files there.

BuckSkin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BuckSkin »

Okay, I deleted everything and started over from the beginning, this time allocating 40GB for the machine.

I am at the point in installing Mint where it gives four choices, the first one being "Erase and Install Linux Mint (Warning: This will erase everything else)

Does this mean that it will erase my entire disk, or only the 40-GB partition/folder that I appointed Virtual Box to use ?

I explored "Something Else", but I went completely blank and could not remember how I did this ages ago, nor even if it were necessary since this is a virtual machine.

RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

Virtual Box only sees the 40GB virtual disk that you have created at install stage so you are perfectly OK taking the first, erase disk, option.

One of the advantages of using VB is that your host is protected (sandboxed) from malicious attacks on the guest.
As AndyMH has already pointed out, that is why many people (myself included) are happier having Mint as a host & then guest the rather more vulnerable Microsoft products.
That way you still have a working computer if the worst happens..

BuckSkin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BuckSkin »

RIH wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:55 am
Virtual Box only sees the 40GB virtual disk that you have created at install stage so you are perfectly OK taking the first, erase disk, option.
Thanks for that.
I am now posting this from within Virtual Box/Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 via Firefox.

My questions may be just beginning.....; but, I am through the gate now.
One minor thing that I have already noticed is that, in Windows, I could "Center-Click = the Mouse-wheel" and scroll up/down; Mint seems to ignore my center-clicking.

Can I LAN network this with my many Windows machines ?
What about this "Shared Folders" business ?

This is just So COOL! that I can move back and forth from Windows to Linux and back again with no more input from me than changing windows in Windows !

A big THANK YOU to everyone who has helped me thus far and in future questions.

pbear
Level 14
Level 14

Post by pbear »

BuckSkin wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:00 am
Can I LAN network this with my many Windows machines ?
What about this "Shared Folders" business ?
First question, I would assume so. Install VBox on one of the other machines. Go to File > Preferences > Default Machine Folder. Use that to navigate to where you have the VM files stored. I don't have LAN, but my vague understanding of how it works suggests it should be that simple.

As for the second question, time for you to read the Manual. Explains that and many other topics. Indispensable and unusually good.

BuckSkin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BuckSkin »

pbear wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:58 am
As for the second question, time for you to read the Manual. Explains that and many other topics. Indispensable and unusually good.
Thanks !

Return to “Newbie Questions”