First impressions of Ubuntu Touch

Chat about Linux in general
gittiest personITW
Level 7
Level 7

Re: First impressions of Ubuntu Touch

Post by gittiest personITW »

Moem, how have you found the battery to last?
Obviously there is no baseline to test against, and it is likely to be an older battery, but how long do you get out of it and is your wifi/4g on all the time or do you nurture it and just switch on when you need it?
Cheers.

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Thanks for starting this thread! I will be in the market for a replacement phone in the near future & one of these, especially at an affordable price for me, looks like a good option.

I don't need the usual smartbloat™ just calls, texts and the ability to take photos of a reasonable quality (usually for work purposes so I can see how things were put together). But having a useable web browser might be handy on occasion .. only thing is, I don't get on with on-screen keyboards.

Reasonable battery life is a must, though. I get around 2 days tops with my BlackBerry 9810 which is just about adequate.

The big issue as I see it with current smartphones is their support period. Once they stop updates, you're snookered. The Ubuntu Touch route looks like a viable alternative in this respect.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a write.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

gittiest personITW wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:16 am
Moem, how have you found the battery to last?
Obviously there is no baseline to test against, and it is likely to be an older battery, but how long do you get out of it and is your wifi/4g on all the time or do you nurture it and just switch on when you need it?
Cheers.
Very similar to that of my identical model that's running Android (installed via LineageOS). I don't have a sim in the Ubuntuphone, so no 4g; for that reason, it's usually on wifi and then it lasts about a day. If wifi is turned off, it gets closer to three days. And yes, it's an older battery. It seems that the battery can be replaced, which is good to know!

Honestly, the more I play with Ubuntu Touch, the more I like it. It's easy to get used to. I might stick my sim in the Ubuntuphone for a few days and see how I like it in daily use. I'm even considering replacing the cracked glass!
BG405 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:00 pm
I don't need the usual smartbloat™ just calls, texts and the ability to take photos of a reasonable quality (usually for work purposes so I can see how things were put together). But having a useable web browser might be handy on occasion .. only thing is, I don't get on with on-screen keyboards.
Sounds to me like you'd do fine with just the pre-installed set of apps. And maybe try a stylus in case that makes using the on-screen keyboard easier for you.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

Hey BG405:
BG405 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:00 pm
Thanks for starting this thread! I will be in the market for a replacement phone in the near future & one of these, especially at an affordable price for me, looks like a good option.

Reasonable battery life is a must, though. I get around 2 days tops with my BlackBerry 9810 which is just about adequate.

The big issue as I see it with current smartphones is their support period. Once they stop updates, you're snookered. The Ubuntu Touch route looks like a viable alternative in this respect.
I found¹ a listing for one on ebay that at the moment is just under $50, but there's no "buy now" option and the end of the auction is a few days from now, so who knows whether or not there will be a bidding war. The one I found looks like it's in really good shape, and most of the rest look beat to hell.
¹ By "found" I mean I just decided to go looking again out of curiosity; I am not going to bid on it.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.
— Voltaire

gittiest personITW
Level 7
Level 7

Moem,
Single-handedly, you've raised the global price for old OnePlus Ones.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

Tue May 26, 2020 7:21 pm
Moem,
Everyone's got to have a skill. :lol:

— Voltaire

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Of course, something that's useful to many is the ability to move files, like pictures, between the phone and a laptop or desktop running Mint. I can report that this is very very very easy. I connected the phone to my laptop with a cable (USB to micro USB). The file manager came up on the laptop, showing the phone. I unlocked the phone; on the laptop, it now appeared as a mounted drive, under the name Bacon (the code name for the Oneplus One). I could then browse the directories Documents, Music, Videos, Pictures and Dowload.
In other words, this works exactly as it should. No hoops to jump through. My UbuntuPhone has no problem talking to a computer running MInt. Well, you could say they're cousins... :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

I looked on Swappa.com com and the oldest OnePlus that I could find was a 3-T for $80 bux.

not too bad for a new toy to play with, I might do that just to experiment around with it, not actually get a simcard for it.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

gittiest personITW
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Az, Maybe someone else will correct me - but Oneplus is the company and '1' is the model. 3-T might be a different model. Might still work though. Let us know as that will increase the options - especially as someone :wink: has hiked all the prices er hum.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Oneplus 3 and 3T are supported, though the version of the OS that runs on them is not as mature as the one for the Oneplus One:
https://devices.ubuntu-touch.io/

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Moem wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:16 am
Oneplus 3 and 3T are supported, though the version of the OS that runs on them is not as mature as the one for the Oneplus One:
https://devices.ubuntu-touch.io/
as I am not familiar at all with OnePlus, I just assumed that the 'One' is much older than the '3-T' ??

when looking for cellphones, I always go to Swappa.com and buy one from them, have never been stiffed once, and I have bought probably 4 or 5 over the years.....

The only reason I gave up on my Note4 was it was Rooted and on 4.4 and in the last couple of years, the apps have quit working, and the developers are no longer supporting 4.4 so I had to upgrade to something newer.

and in my price range, the Samsung Note8 was a decent compromise between price and OS version, it supports 9.x which is still new enough all the apps work well.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:14 pm
as I am not familiar at all with OnePlus, I just assumed that the 'One' is much older than the '3-T' ??
Yes, it's older, it's six years old. My partner got it real cheap for that reason, €120 in the box, never opened. Turned out that he did not actually need it, so I gladly took it off his hands. I did not even know at that time that it could run Ubuntu Touch. But he did choose that one because it normally runs on a Cyanogen or LineageOS version of Android, which can be used without any Google apps or accounts.

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Moem wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:35 pm
Sounds to me like you'd do fine with just the pre-installed set of apps. And maybe try a stylus in case that makes using the on-screen keyboard easier for you.
It seems I would & I am going to investigate further. I do have a couple of stylii which were for use with the tablet I've not bothered to do anything with :P & they do help, but no virtual keyboard can replace a real physical one, so I have a mini bluetooth one for that purpose. It's about the same size as the tablet (7"). I occasionally use it with the laptop but usually it's the USB full-size one I'm typing on now.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a write.

cliffcoggin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cliffcoggin »

Tue May 26, 2020 7:21 pm
Moem,
Not quite single handedly. Mine is on its way.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:05 pm
To be honest, there seems to be an element of 'want' in some of your 'needs'. In other words, you could probably find alternatives if it had a higher priority for you. We all make choices... and it's so often a trade off.
Not so much on the subject of UT, but vis a vis LineageOS (or AOSP ROMs in general), question for you...

From a privacy standpoint, is there any particular benefit to running LineageOS on my Moto G7 instead of the factory stock ROM if I'm going to set up my Google account on it along with various standard Google apps?

I mean, I'm half-thinking about doing it if Android 10 doesn't make it to the G7. Supposedly it's being deployed, though I haven't seen any trace of it.

— Voltaire

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Portreve wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 1:02 pm
From a privacy standpoint, is there any particular benefit to running LineageOS on my Moto G7 instead of the factory stock ROM if I'm going to set up my Google account on it along with various standard Google apps?
There might be less telemetry going on. I'm not certain of that.
I can, however, see one big benefit of a different kind: your hardware will probably be supported for longer. Meaning that my 6 years old OnePlus runs Android 9, which it would not be getting directly.

gittiest personITW
Level 7
Level 7

Read the Google T+C on Gboard (keyboard) - basically everything you type in is possibly used so they "can help to improve their service" to you.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

There is no need to run GBoard. There is even no need to run the standard provided keyboard. My Oneplus on LineageOS + Android uses OpenBoard instead and it works fine. I installed it from F-Droid (the FOSS app store) and I believe that it can also be installed on stock Android.

gittiest personITW
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Moem,
Yes, that was just an example for Portreve. Once I installed a network usage app, many apps got 'disappeared'.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Ah, cheers. That wasn't clear to me, so thanks for giving the context.

Return to “Chat about Linux”