Questions about hardware and drivers
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Subiefan
Level 1
Level 1

Boot up error, repetitive fs corruption

Post by Subiefan »

I looked through some of the forms and there's some that have similar symptoms, this might help others with similar issues...

I have a LMHZNIY S4 ultrabook with an Intel processor and m.2 512gb 8gb ram.

It originally came with a version of windows that was Chinesely bypassed regarding the product key and wouldn't work. Perfect for testing all kinds of stuff with.

I ran live Kali and TAILS on it with no problems, I ran LM Tessa on it and wifi and touchpad didn't work, I tried LMDE 3 and it worked like a charm when live and for a few weeks after the install. I didn't notice any glitches other than a few times, the touchpad didn't work right off the bat, until I ran lspci an it worked afterwards...
Perhaps it just needed to load up..

I haven't installed many programs and haven't overloaded it with garbage, just using it for browsing and accounting.

Recently the thing will go into setup, blue screen. The hard drive is not recognized and it won't start up.
There's an LED on the m.2 that is on when there's power to it, so I took it apart and I can see it doesn't power on. Theres nothing plugged in to be drawing power, so it was confusing, but the only way I can get it to start up is if the battery is charged up, the power cord disconnected as well as any USBs.. I try starting it, blue screen - five second shut down with power button and I hold the power button for another 15 seconds. Then let go, and boot up again. It'll start, but it'll say fs error. I run

Code: Select all

fsck -y /dev/sda1
, and then 5 second shutdown. Restart it and works like a charm. After watching Disney plus, for example, I shut it off, come back to it the next day and it does the same thing. Blue screen.. need to do the 5sec powerdown, keep holding 15 seconds, then starts into grub, run

fsck -y /dev/sda1
and force shut down, restart, and its all good again, but same story the next day.

If anyone has any input, I would appreciate it, but also this works for me, for now, so this may help others as well. However, I would love to not have to deal with this hassle every day.

I'm an LMDE fan and even if it keeps doing this, I still like it better than windows.

To try and help my predicament, I took it apart and blew any dust out of the connections to the m.2. Also I have sprayed connections down with silicone spray as this helped me on my previous winXP builds.
I'm planning on getting a new m.2 to see it that original one is just defective or something.
Last edited by Subiefan on Sat May 23, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

axisofevil
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Boot up error, repetitive fs corruption

Post by axisofevil »

When you do a forced shutdown you are marking the file system as potentially damaged, requiring a fsck on the next power up.
When you switch off are you doing a controlled shutdown or just pressing the off button until it powers down?

The blue screen sounds like a m2 hardware problem?

Subiefan
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Boot up error, repetitive fs corruption

Post by Subiefan »

When setup comes on aka blue screen, everything disconnected, there is not an option for boot options, it's like it doesn't detect a hard drive. If theres a bootable USB inserted at that time, it'll boot up from the USB. I got it to boot up into the setup menu with live USB in and the hard drive detected, I set the default to boot from the hard drive first, USB as second option.
Still didn't help.

After using it, I go to menu, shutdown, it shuts off, then I close the lid. I only do the forced shutdown from blue screen and after running

fsck -y dev/sda1
Still same problem, who else thinks is a hardware issue over a software issue?

Return to “Hardware Support”