Level 6
Level 6

Giving your phone number and email address to Microsoft

Post by wpshooter »

At the download link of the following:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microso ... loadregion

they say that they (MS) want your phone number and email address
(supposedly) the email address so that they can send you an email
which will allow you to download the application.

Am I wrong in being somewhat dubious in doing that ?

And has anyone tested this MS team application on Linux Mint ?

Never mind, looks like that the email address is wanted if you want mobile application.

Still wondering if anyone has tried this application on a Linux Mint 19.3 mate machine ?

Forget the whole thing, more research seems to indicate that this is NOT an application written by MS.

Thanks.
Last edited by Pierre on Sun May 24, 2020 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Open Chat, as this issue is not just LinuxMint related ..
Mint 19.3 mate 64 bit.
service > competition

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Giving your phone number and email address to Microsoft

Post by carum carvi »

You do not need any microsoft software to use Linux. Period. I dont know what software is gonna be installed by this link you provided. We dont need it. So we (fortunately) dont have to share any personal information by using LinuxMint.

I do know ( out of experience when I was using Windows7 till 3 years ago) that it was common practice to provide a telephone number to Microsoft when doing a new install of Windows7. Now they want an email adress as well. I am waiting for the time when they will require a fingerprint to install new Microsoft software... :mrgreen:

wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

carum carvi wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 2:44 pm
You do not need any microsoft software to use Linux. Period. I dont know what software is gonna be installed by this link you provided. We dont need it. So we (fortunately) dont have to share any personal information by using LinuxMint.

I do know ( out of experience when I was using Windows7 till 3 years ago) that it was common practice to provide a telephone number to Microsoft when doing a new install of Windows7. Now they want an email adress as well. I am waiting for the time when they will require a fingerprint to install new Microsoft software... :mrgreen:
Actually, I just called Microsoft and they told me that "Microsoft Team" IS their product, their competitor to ZOOM.

But according to another article which I read Microsoft has made a Linux native version of the TEAM product.

So, if as you say, we do not need MS Team application, what application does Linux Mint have that would perform the same
functions as either ZOOM or MS Team ?

Thanks.
Mint 19.3 mate 64 bit.
service > competition

MrEen
Level 19
Level 19

Post by MrEen »

Have you tried Zoom? It's working well for many, although some are having issues with it.

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

There are plenty of good Linux compatible alternatives for ZOOM.

https://alternativeto.net/software/zoom ... form=linux

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

I can recommend Jitsi Meet. You'll find the app image here: https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-ele ... 4.AppImage

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

MrEen wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:25 pm
Have you tried Zoom? It's working well for many, although some are having issues with it.
I see that there are instructions here for installing zoom for Linux Mint and other flavors of Linux.

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... m-on-Linux

I checked on the dependency listing that is shown and some of those were either not installed
on my Linux Mint 19.3 mate or they were not the exact same version. They still were not, after
running the suggested update command.

If I wanted to use this Linux Mint version of zoom and the people that I wanted to communicate
with were not using Linux Mint OSs, what are the chances that we could communicate using
zoom of perhaps different varieties and machines with different OSs ?

Thanks.
Mint 19.3 mate 64 bit.
service > competition

MrEen
Level 19
Level 19

Post by MrEen »

If Zoom will run on your machine, you can connect with anyone else running Zoom. OS doesn't matter for connections I believe.

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

And if you really have to use Teams, you can do that via a browser from Linux as-well if your leary about installing a MS app on the system. The browser video conferencing is not as fully featured as the app version.

I've not used the app on Linux but prefer the app to the browser on my Win10 work laptop. It's been open all day everyday whilst working from home during lockdown and is great for organisations - video conferencing, group and individual chat, screensharing, file sharing etc all covered. My employer is all in with Office365 so Teams was the obvious choice.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

as with most modern security standards:
- - it's now an requirement to give Both your eMail address & your Mobile Phone Number . . .
to almost anything that you wish to Sign-up for, these days.

NB: that MS team application is an Company Application .. rather than something that you'd use personally.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Kirara
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kirara »

From a privacy point of view and if possible in your case, you might want to avoid both, Teams and Zoom.
Jitsi Meet indeed seems to be a suitable choice.

wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Pierre wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 2:57 am
as with most modern security standards:
- - it's now an requirement to give Both your eMail address & your Mobile Phone Number . . .
to almost anything that you wish to Sign-up for, these days.
Exactly what is it that I am "signing up for" ?
I am just wanting to download a software application/file, does that mean
that they own me somehow ?
Mint 19.3 mate 64 bit.
service > competition

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

YEAH - - it does
:?

in return for the "use" of their software .. you've gotta hand over some Personal Details . .

even if you are wishing to 'Remotely Assist' another Windows User,
- - you seem to have to Log-in to "your Account" to actually utilise that Remote Ability,

so, it's just one of several ways, to 'encourage' you to have an Active Account .. with them.
- - same thing with the other Tech Companies .. as well.
even Ubuntu is encouraging it's user-base to have an 'Active Account'

in the end_of_the_day it's yet another way .. to your Credit.Card.
:twisted:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hi, folks.

Calm down. wpshooter's download link is meant to download the software Microsoft Teams (for Linux).
If your company uses MS Teams, you use MS Teams as well. End of your choice to do otherwise.
The phone number and/or e-mail address Microsoft requests is your company phone number / your company e-mail address.
So your private life is not in danger.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

In recent (within the last 60 days) mass emailings within my company, we've been hearing all about us going to M$ Teams. The funny thing is that for any of the people in my position, it's utterly pointless.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.
— Voltaire

wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

karlchen wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:37 am
Hi, folks.

Calm down. wpshooter's download link is meant to download the software Microsoft Teams (for Linux).
If your company uses MS Teams, you use MS Teams as well. End of your choice to do otherwise.
The phone number and/or e-mail address Microsoft requests is your company phone number / your company e-mail address.
So your private life is not in danger.

Best regards,
Karl
Not exactly on point, because I have no company, am not related to any company, am not employed by any company, so
any info that I might give to MS would be for ME (of course, I learned a long time ago to give out little (if any) REAL info about ME).

Thanks.
Mint 19.3 mate 64 bit.
service > competition

RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

I think this might explain it, the first paragraph is quoted below -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Teams wrote: Microsoft Teams, also referred to as simply Teams, is a unified communication and collaboration platform that combines persistent workplace chat, video meetings, file storage (including collaboration on files), and application integration. The service integrates with the Office 365 subscription office productivity suite and features extensions that can integrate with non-Microsoft products. Microsoft Teams is a competitor to services such as Slack and is the evolution and upgrade path from Microsoft Skype for Business.

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

wpshooter wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:24 pm
Not exactly on point, because I have no company, am not related to any company, am not employed by any company, so
any info that I might give to MS would be for ME (of course, I learned a long time ago to give out little (if any) REAL info about ME).

Thanks.
So why are you looking at Teams? The clue is in the name - it's a communication and collaboration tool for organisations.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Open chat”