Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ellison
Level 1
Level 1

Visualisations /screensaver/slideshow

Post by ellison »

Hello...
I've recently installed mint cinnamon 19.3 and set it up the way I like it.I downloaded Lollypop music streamer,for listening only to radio stations and I have that set up nicely too.The thing I,m missing though is some sort of visualisation or screensaver to run while listening to radio.The thing is I,d like to have some sort of one click start, from panel or desktop.Is there a way to start screensaver instantly with one click or does the 1 minute timer need to run down?.I did try to find some sort of visualisation pack that would be able to start a slideshow with just one click but cant find anything.Can a shortcut be made to start screensaver instantly without timer?...or is there some program out there that has a shortcut to slideshow?
thanks

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Visualisations /screensaver/slideshow

Post by smurphos »

Hi,

You can use the default image viewer for a basic slideshow. Make your self a desktop launcher to run

Code: Select all

xviewer -s "/full/path/to/some/folder/of/images"
You can adjust the default preferences via Image Viewers GUI

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

ellison
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ellison »

Hello..
Ive made the desktop launcher,and entered what I believed to be the correct information ,but nothing happens when clicking the finished launcher?.My viewer is image viewer that comes packaged with mint cinnamon 19.3,I wasn't sure how to attach a pic ,so I uploaded it to a pic hosting website...I hope thats ok?
heres the link
https://i.postimg.cc/qvqHpFj4/Workspace-1-001.jpg

Thanks

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

Hi, your command is missing a space after the -s

It should be

Code: Select all

xviewer -s "/usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint-rebecca"
Note - the double quotes around the path are not strictly necessary in this case, but would be if there were any spaces in the path.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

ellison
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ellison »

Hello Again...
I apologise for my last post.I didn't leave spaces between xviewer -s and /.
Its now working fine.
Thank you very much for this
:D

ellison
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ellison »

You beat me to it...
thank you

ellison
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ellison »

hello...
Sorry to be a pain. The slide show runs great,and I have the radio on in background. The only problem Ive now encountered is that ,notifications wont show over the slideshow.The notifications applet in panel that shows the station eg planet rock .and the name of the song playing ,show over my browser or anything else I have open except for some reason when slideshows are being shown.Is there anyway to get notifications to show over a slideshow?
thanks

ellison
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ellison »

Just to update . I found an applet called "Slideshow Controls" already installed by default in Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.When I activated it ,it actually allows you to point to any folder and run a slideshow at 1min minimum intervals from a panel icon..I downloaded all previous Mint desktop backgrounds and use these.It also allows notifications over the top of the changing backgrounds which is perfect,when listening to radio.

Return to “Software & Applications”