Custom characters, via modifier key: which can you see? And on which OS/platform?

Chat about just about anything else
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Custom characters, via modifier key: which can you see? And on which OS/platform?

Post by BG405 »

I have been experimenting with and using a modifier key (in my case I set it to Alt Gr) for non-"standard" characters, but I have found that not all of them show up on other operating systems/browsers/viewers etc. so I'm interested to know of your experiences.

Below are some examples which may or may not show correctly & I'd love to know the results:
  • Superscript 0-9:
    ⁰¹²³⁴⁵⁶⁷⁸⁹
  • TM, (C), (R), degree, micro:
    ™ © ® ° µ
  • Fractions (1/9 to 1/2, 8 in total):
    ⅑ ⅛ ⅐ ⅙ ⅕ ¼ ⅓ ½
  • (2/3, 3/4, 3/5, 3/8):
    ⅔ ¾ ⅗ ⅜
  • (4/5, 56, 5/8, 7/8):
    ⅘ ⅚ ⅝ ⅞
  • Smileys (2), left and right arrow and three dots*:
    ☹ ☺ ← → …

Greek symbol with Greek KB layout (NOT modifier key), Omega, used in electronics but not easily available on many devices:
Ω

*ETA:
Three dots (ellipsis) generated via modifier key and two periods.
Last edited by BG405 on Mon May 25, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a write.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Custom characters, via modifier key: which can you see? And on which OS/platform?

Post by Portreve »

My default keyboard layout is English International with AltGr Dead Keys. It works much like Classic Mac OS and Mac OS X, but on steroids, and should I think be the nominal default layout across distros. It really makes many of the others look pathetic.

In your above post, all the characters show up and render correctly in Chrome on my still-Android 9-running Moto G7.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.
— Voltaire

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Custom characters, via modifier key: which can you see? And on which OS/platform?

Post by BG405 »

Thanks for that feedback Portreve.

I gather there are issues with some of these (the three dots as a known example: …) on iThings & possbly other devices and their associated OSes, browsers or whatever.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

BG405 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:42 pm
Thanks for that feedback Portreve.

I gather there are issues with some of these (the three dots as a known example: …) on iThings & possbly other devices and their associated OSes, browsers or whatever.
I'm going to try an experiment here, BG405, because I'm curious. The three dots is called an ellipsis, and I'm going to enter it three times below:

Android: …

Linux Mint: …

macOS 10.13.6: …

Each of the above were entered on the specified device, and viewed from each of the three platforms named. I don't feel like swapping M.2 cards again in my desktop just to get Windows 10 involved. However, I'll leave that to anyone else here who has more ready access to W10.

Moreover, I don't have an iOS device to compatibility test this, so I'll again leave that to someone else with the requisite hardware.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.
— Voltaire

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

@Portreve: Ah, I wasn't clear in my OP. The ellipsis (thanks for clarifying that) was generated by pressing the modifier key and then just two periods, not three. It displays as three.

Return to “Open chat”