MP3 Tag

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
realmuddy
Level 1
Level 1

MP3 Tag

Post by realmuddy »

I have four directors containing a number of MP3 files. Here are a couple of examples:

540601_219_The_Tempermental_Tote_Board_Matter
Dragnet_49-06-10_002_Production_2_aka_Homicide_aka_The_Nickel_Plated_Gun

I want to rename them so that I can make proper ID3 tags for them. There are several hundred of the and I have tried 4 or 5 different tag editors in attempt to do this. Either I can't figure out how to use the various editors properly or they can't do it. Frankly I'm not sure which. Can someone help?

Phillip Waters

rene
Level 15
Level 15

Re: MP3 Tag

Post by rene »

You haven't in fact specified what you want to do. I.e., "rename them so that I can make proper ID3 tags for them" does not seem to compute; renaming files, MP3 files or otherwise, and tagging MP3 files are two distinct processes.

You are showing examples without an .mp3 extension; if the rename part is just about giving these files an .mp3 extension you'd for example use rename "s/$/.mp3/" * to add a suffix .mp3 to all files in the current directory.

As to mass-tagging you might be best of using a command line MP3 tagger as well. sudo apt-get install id3v2 and for a single file e.g.

Code: Select all

id3v2 -a "Johny Dollar" -t "The Tempermental Tote Board Matter" -g Radio -y 1954 540601_219_The_Tempermental_Tote_Board_Matter.mp3
with any sort of looping over multiple files depending on what you in fact aim to do --- which you again have not in fact told us.

realmuddy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by realmuddy »

Sorry.

The actual file names are:
540601_219_The_Temperamental_Tote_Board_Matter.mp3
Dragnet_49-06-10_002_Production_2_aka_Homicide_aka_The_Nickel_Plated_Gun.mp3

Once renamed I would like them to look like th:

The Temperamental Tote Board Matter.mp3
Dragnet The Nickel Plated Gun.mp3

One of my directories has 341 files in it. I would like to rename all the files in a given directory so that they would read like the examples above.

rene
Level 15
Level 15

Post by rene »

Now clearer, but still not specified rigidly enough to answer. I.e., the change to be applied to the first filename is significantly different from the second. Is it the case that these MP3 files have an existing, say, "title" tag which is to become their filename?

If not the logic to rename these files is going to need knowledge up to now only you have, i.e., what they're called now and what they are to be called. Best I can from these mere two examples suggest would be e.g.

rename -n "s/[0-9]+_[0-9]+_//" *.mp3
for the general category of the first (remove the -n to have it actually rename rather than only show what it would do) and

rename -n "s/Dragnet_.*_aka/Dragnet/" Dragnet_*_aka_*.mp3
for the second folllowed by

rename -n "s/_/ /g" *.mp3
for both.

However, certainly in the second case this would not seem a general enough pattern. I.e., you still haven't specified what in a general sense these files need to be renamed to. To an existing ID3 tag that they have?

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

realmuddy wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:33 am
Once renamed I would like them to look like th:

The Temperamental Tote Board Matter.mp3
Dragnet The Nickel Plated Gun.mp3

One of my directories has 341 files in it. I would like to rename all the files in a given directory so that they would read like the examples above.
So one final filename includes the program name (Dragnet) and another doesn't?

Your filenames are so different that I'd use a GUI file renamer, like thunar's, to which you can also add package thunar-media-tags-plugin (I've never used it).

FWIW, I use "mp3tag" in wine, very flexible, works great can also rename files based on the tags.
https://www.mp3tag.de/en/
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

blockhead47
Level 2
Level 2

Post by blockhead47 »

I would suggest you try puddletag. You can install it using Software Manager.
I will allow you to edit your mp3tags and will also allow renaming based on those tags.

Description: simple, powerful audio tag editor
puddletag is an audio tag editor (primarily created) for GNU/Linux similar to the Windows
program, Mp3tag. Unlike most taggers for GNU/Linux, it uses a spreadsheet-like layout so that all
the tags you want to edit by hand are visible and easily editable.

The usual tag editor features are supported like extracting tag information from filenames,
renaming files based on their tags by using patterns and basic tag editin
g.

realmuddy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by realmuddy »

Thank you all for your help!

realmuddy
Level 1
Level 1