Setting up email client (Thunderbird?)

Chat about just about anything else
ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Setting up email client (Thunderbird?)

Post by ajgreeny »

Bear in mind that depending on how you have setup your IMAP mail system, particularly in the way it archives or deletes read messages, you may find you have a huge number of messages to download when you first use the pop3 account.
This is what happens every time I go away from home where I have the one machine using pop3, and whilst away use IMAP, leaving all messages on the server unless I manually delete them.
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

ajgreeny wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:35 pm
Bear in mind that depending on how you have setup your IMAP mail system, particularly in the way it archives or deletes read messages, you may find you have a huge number of messages to download when you first use the pop3 account.
This is what happens every time I go away from home where I have the one machine using pop3, and whilst away use IMAP, leaving all messages on the server unless I manually delete them.
Pop3 can keep messages on mail server too.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... WDbc6Ngp3g
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ajgreeny »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:48 pm
ajgreeny wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:35 pm
Pop3 can keep messages on mail server too.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... WDbc6Ngp3g
Yes, and that is how I have my account set up, meaning I still have some of the important emails on the server, that I have not manually deleted, going back over 15 years.
This also means that I can search and find those old messages using webmail as well.
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

Yes, all this is complex. I am definitely forgetting IMAP and will start all over with POP3.

I realize I can set up a POP3 account so that it downloads the emails but leaves them in the server inbox and can be downloaded by other computers until one of them deletes it from the inbox. I am already doing that with one computer reading emails but leaving them on the server for the main computer to download.

Furthermore, in the case of Hotmail when the email is downloaded by a POP3 client it is not entirely deleted but is just moved out of the inbox and to another folder called "POP" so it can still be retrieved via webmail by going to that folder.

First I will need to set it all up so that it works going forward from now on but another issue is that I have many years of emails in my Outlook Express client and would like to find a way to export them to Thunderbird. Maybe this is too difficult or impossible.

Finally, while I am going to keep trying to use Thunderbird, it does not inspire confidence in its continuity to read that it is no longer funded or supported by Firefox and could disappear at any time.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
cliffcoggin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cliffcoggin »

GS3 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:34 pm

First I will need to set it all up so that it works going forward from now on but another issue is that I have many years of emails in my Outlook Express client and would like to find a way to export them to Thunderbird. Maybe this is too difficult or impossible.

Finally, while I am going to keep trying to use Thunderbird, it does not inspire confidence in its continuity to read that it is no longer funded or supported by Firefox and could disappear at any time.
I wanted to import all my Outlook Express emails (about seven thousand of them) into Thunderbird when I switched to Linux and found the task impossible in my state of ignorance. I resorted to paying a company, (Foulkes I think it was,) to convert the format so that I could import them. I daresay some of the folk in this forum could advise on how to do it without the expense. My point is that one way or another it can be done.

Even if Thunderbird was to disappear you would still have access to your emails provided you back them up. That for me was the reason to choose an POP3 email client rather than IMAP webmail. I am completely independent of the whims of any person or company or institution or government for access to them.
Cliff Coggin
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Setting up Thunderbird is Sesame Street Simple ... type your name, email address and password into the setup utility provided fields and click the button ... it configures itself. Thunderbird takes the cake for easy setup.
Last set TB up on a prehistoric 2004 vintage IBM ThinkPad G40 (3GHz P4 CPU, 2GB RAM, 32 bit) running antiX 19.2 ... works like a charm.
Guessed at the terminal command "sudo apt-get install thunderbird" and lo and behold it worked. :mrgreen:
Was going to install Claws email if TB was too sluggish on that ancient laptop but surprisingly enough TB works fine.
Should be easy to copy email addresses from Outlook and other email clients on other computers using CSV files.

Return to “Open chat”