newmusic
Level 1
Level 1

Wine on Mint 20 - Solved

Post by newmusic »

Hi
Mint 20 is Great. Thank you.
I installed wine via: apt install wine-installer
I have tried other options that Ive googled but cannot get it to appear on my right-click menu and am in the dark about installing windows programs.
I have also looked in the forums and cannot find issues related to Mint 20.
Please advise.
Thanks
Last edited by newmusic on Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff_P
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wine on Mint 20

Post by Geoff_P »

Same problem here.
There is no problem with Wine on 19.3 that I have found.

mikaelrask
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikaelrask »

hey check wine homepage for instruction on how to install wine https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Graphic Card: nvidia 2070 super
Ram 16 GB
Kernel: 5.4.0.33-generic
kubuntu 20.04

Laptop:
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-245m
cinnamon 19.3
Kernel 4.15.0.101-generic
Ram 4 gb

newmusic
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wine on Mint 20 - SOLVED

Post by newmusic »

Yup done that. Keep getting E: Unable to locate package winehq-stable even though I do a copy and paste from the wineHQ page.
Tried Synaptic.

Still no joy.

I found the following on a website that I pasted into terminal and this worked.
This was not found on the WineHq page:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable

venco
Level 1
Level 1

Post by venco »

I just had the same problem today .
I was following the procedure on https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu, but i received the problems you describe .
Then i removed the winehq.key and deleted the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list
Then i ran sudo apt update , started the software manager and successfully installed it from there . by the way before that
the software manager install button was grey and showing something like 'package unavailable '

gumdrop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gumdrop »

Yep. had the same problem. Thought it was only me. Have removed and installed wine every which way. Still no joy.
Right click and the open with its not even in the list... Bearing in mind I am a newbi to mint so I still dont fully understand what the heck I am doing...

newmusic
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wine on Mint 20 - Solved

Post by newmusic »

Even after a few years I feel like a newbie.
Anyway, this is what I did.
I went to : https://wiki.winehq.org/Debian and went according to their page:
get into the terminal and type sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
then type these 2 lines:

Code: Select all

wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
sudo apt-key add winehq.key
I added the following which wasnt on the page: sudo add-apt-repository deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/ buster main
After that I typed: sudo apt update && sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
and VOILA!!
Suddenly the right- click thingy worked and when I double clicked on an exe or msi file, it automatically ran.

Hope this helps somebody.

jchorn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jchorn »

I tried the above install instructions but still get 'Unable to locate package winehq-stable.' I will keep checking back until this thing is fixed. Everything else works fine in Mint 20.

Foxy Stoat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Foxy Stoat »

jchorn wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:18 pm
I tried the above install instructions but still get 'Unable to locate package winehq-stable.' I will keep checking back until this thing is fixed. Everything else works fine in Mint 20.
Hey folks, I just spent this evening figuring it out. Think I've got it sussed now.

Open up a terminal and type

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
Then type

wget -O - https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key | sudo apt-key add -
Then;

sudo add-apt-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ focal main' 
At this point, there's a bug in the next stage. I worked out what the problem is; Linux Mint is failing to grab a key.
After adding the Ubuntu Focal Main repository and then performing

sudo apt update
there should be some error messages relating to a missing Public Key.

I followed the instructions here to fix it:

https://chrisjean.com/fix-apt-get-updat ... available/

So basically, whatever key you're missing, you need to add it to the end of

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 
After following the guide to add the missing key from the error message, I then performed

sudo apt update
one more time and the errors were gone. I could then install the winehq-stable package:

sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
Finally, I then ran winecfg to finish setup and download the mono and gecko (32bit and 64bit) packages. That took quite a long time to download for some reason.

After this, I went to the Software Center and installed winetricks. I then loaded up winetricks and installed the core fonts (Select the default Wine prefix/Install a font/core fonts). Be prepared for several error messages to flash up; just click ok.

Finally, from Software Center I installed wine-desktop-files. This creates Wine items on the startmenu, including a direct link to your virtual c: directory and a little Notepad test application.

That was it. If you then explore the new C: drive, somewhere in one of the Windows folders will be notepad.exe. If you right click in Nemo, you'll see the Wine Programme Loader on the context menu.

Kseanfitz_1
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wine on Mint 20 - SOLVED

Post by Kseanfitz_1 »

newmusic wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:19 am
Yup done that. Keep getting E: Unable to locate package winehq-stable even though I do a copy and paste from the wineHQ page.
Tried Synaptic.
Still no joy.
newmusic wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:19 am
sudo apt update && sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
Check the "Preferences" settings in your Synaptic under "Marking Changes" for "Consider recommended packages as dependencies" and make sure it is selected :D :arrow: IMHO it may just be good to do that from the start when setting up a new OS.
LM19.3 Cinn_4.4.8_5.4.0-37-gen, MB MSI_Z97 PC Mate UEFI/CSM AMI BIOS,Intel Core i5-4690K @ 3.50GHz × 4 Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen_IGP,Usable mem=22.9 GiB,DDR3 Hard Drives onboard total= 5913.9 GB...2-NVME,2-SSD,2-Spinners + 2x4TB=8TB_USB-ext.

jchorn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jchorn »

I checked the Preferences settings and it's already checkmarked. Still waiting for a solution.

gumdrop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gumdrop »

Yep, I deleted everything wine in synaptic package man. Tried twice with the instructions to no avail.
Everything worked ok under 19.3 mint.. I was running mint 20 beta which was then updated. I dont suppose the problem
would be fixed if I installed clean iso mint 20 .
I am glad I am not the only one with the problem because I kept thinking for a few days what did I do wrong..

There must be an answer out there somewhere...LOL

Foxy Stoat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Foxy Stoat »

gumdrop wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:12 am
Yep, I deleted everything wine in synaptic package man. Tried twice with the instructions to no avail.
Everything worked ok under 19.3 mint.. I was running mint 20 beta which was then updated. I dont suppose the problem
would be fixed if I installed clean iso mint 20 .
I am glad I am not the only one with the problem because I kept thinking for a few days what did I do wrong..

There must be an answer out there somewhere...LOL
Hi mate, it took a while for my first post to be approved (I'm a new user!) but if you look couple of posts up I posted a solution which I've tested and works. :)

gumdrop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gumdrop »

Hi Mr Foxy, Yep, That fixed it. All good now.. Thank you for your help....

thisweb
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wine on Mint 20 - NOT Solved

Post by thisweb »

Open in wine not available in Nemo in Mint 20 cinnamon. I find none of the above resolves this issue. Everytime I want to install something I ave to do it via wine cfg. This is a major bug that can't be resolved. Worked fine on 19.3

jchorn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jchorn »

Thank you Foxy Stoat. All is good now.

Return to “Software & Applications”