Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ornendil
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> ICEauthority error on guest session

Post by ornendil »

Hi,

I've tried searching both the forums and google for this error message, and found nothing, except a post in a german forum by someone with the same problem, but no solution that I could see. I don't speak german, so I think it's alright to ask here instead.

I'm trying to set up guest session on a fresh install of Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana" - MATE (64-bit). I've flipped the switch for "Allow guest sessions" in "Login Window > Users" and rebooted. But when I try to login to the guest session I get the following error message:
Could not update ICEauthority file /run/user/999/ICEauthority
There doesn't seem to be any such file, and the only folder in /run/user/ is "1000".

Does anybody with more experience know what could be causing this?

Most results I've found for other "Could not update ICEauthority file" errors seem to be about an ICEauthority file in the user's home folder with the wrong permissions, but in my case the file can't have wrong permissions as it doesn't exist. I've tried creating the file, but on reboot both it and the folder are gone again. Maybe the problem is not in this file, but in why this folder doesn't exist at all? Should it have been generated when I activated "Allow guest sessions"? Or is this a folder that used to be "999" in earlier versions, but is now "1000", and some references to this have not been updated?
Last edited by ornendil on Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: ICEauthority error on guest session

Post by Pjotr »

As a potential workaround, you might try setting up a skeleton account for the guest session:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID1
(item 1)

There's a good chance that that'll "solve" it, because the guest session will then copy all of its settings from the skeleton account.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
ornendil
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ornendil »

Thanks, good idea! I'm still getting the same error after setting up the skeleton unfortunately.

I now tried logging in from another terminal while the guest session was displaying the error and entered the /run/user/999 folder. Seems there isn't a ICEauthority file there, but there is a ICEauthority-c file there instead (and it's empty). It's owned by the generated guest user and its permissions are "-rw-rw-r--".

(I am somewhat of a noob at this, and I have no idea what this file is even for or how it's supposed to function, so sorry if I'm supplying useless info or omitting useful info.)
ornendil
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ornendil »

I've "solved" this by installing 19.3 instead. The same error does not happen there.
bloovis
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <SOLVED> ICEauthority error on guest session

Post by bloovis »

I ran into the same problem just now. I then tried Ubuntu 20.04 Mate in a virtual machine, and it has exactly the same problem. So it's not a Mint-specific issue.

I also fixed this by downgrading to Mint 19.3.

Return to “Software & Applications”