ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB._OSC.CDW1] After Upgrading to LM20

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
newgreen
Level 1
Level 1

ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB._OSC.CDW1] After Upgrading to LM20

Post by newgreen »

Newbie needing help after upgrading from Linux mint 19.3 to Linux Mint 20
Issue while booting
Dual boot Win 7 / Linux Mint 20 system
Followed upgrade instructions,
After upgrade to LM20, system boots, Grub boot select screen appears
After pressing enter key on keyboard to select Linux mint 20, I get the following message on the screen (see below). Message repeats 3 times dimmer each time for a total of about 8 seconds or so and then Linux mint 20 starts normally.

Code: Select all

[    0.408038] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB._OSC.CDW1] .
AE_NOT_FOUND (20190816/psargs-330)
ACPI BIOS Error: Aborting method \_SB._OSC due to previous error AE_NOT_FOUND (20190816/psargs-529)
Does anyone know what this message even mean and how to fix this?
Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thank you
Last edited by newgreen on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB._OSC.CDW1] After Upgrading to LM20

Post by arvy »

ACPI errors of that nature abound in various OEM implementations and they are generally harmless apart from the (usually brief) "hiccup" during the start-up process. See here for just a few other examples and here. Their "meaning" is often nothing more than just a quick report of OEM sloppiness and, unless they give rise to some actual operational problems, they seldom get corrected by firmware updates. LM 20's default config seems to make them somewhat more visible than its predecessor. If you want to pursue the issue in greater depth, see Debugging ACPI.
System: Asus ROG Maximus XI Code mobo, Intel i9-9900K CPU, Nvidia GTX1080 GPU, 32 GB DDR4-3600 RAM, Sumsung Pro 2x512GB NVMe & 3x1TB SSD, Multiboot
newgreen
Level 1
Level 1

Re: ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB._OSC.CDW1] After Upgrading to LM20

Post by newgreen »

Thanks for the info, but this problem wasn't there before the upgrade to LM20. I was running LM19.3 with most up to date kernel and latest updates with no boot issues. After the upgrade to LM20, now this appears; very strange. If this was a real firmware or BIOS problem, I would expect the issue to be there with previous versions of Linux Mint, which it wasn't. Something to do with the upgrade to LM20, what, I don't know.
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by arvy »

Well, if you choose to believe that your system's ACPI BIOS error was actually created or falsified (rather than just more aggressively detected and reported) by LM 20, I suppose there's no real substantive harm in that either. I've told you where to find debugging information if you want it.
System: Asus ROG Maximus XI Code mobo, Intel i9-9900K CPU, Nvidia GTX1080 GPU, 32 GB DDR4-3600 RAM, Sumsung Pro 2x512GB NVMe & 3x1TB SSD, Multiboot
newgreen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by newgreen »

I will look into the links you provided, but I'm still in the dark as to the meaning of [\_SB._OSC.CDW1] or any of it for that matter. I would think the first step to diagnosing a problem would be to understand what the error message means? is "CDW1" referring to the built-in CD/DVD drive? Any idea as to the meaning of any part of the error message?

Thanks
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by arvy »

You're making a mountain out of a molehill, but if you insist -- \_SB._OSC is used to convey platform-wide OSPM capabilities (a term defined in the ACPI specification) to the platform firmware for power management purposes, more specifically in order to meet firmware requirements for the D3cold power sub-state. More than you ever wanted to know (or certainly more that I ever wanted to know) about the technical details of device power management and its firmware requirements can be found here according to Microsoft's self-proclaimed "expertise" on the subject.
newgreen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by newgreen »

I do like to try and at least have some basic understanding of what's going on, so I thank you for the info you provided. Further, I did look at the links you provided and I'll dig a little deeper into the pages you provided. If I'm unable to resolve the actual error message/system hang, do you know of a way to suppress or 'MUTE" / bypass the checking and reporting of this error so as:
1) it doesn't slow down the boot time by 8 seconds
2) it doesn't display it.

Ideally, I'd like to eliminate this by way of editing the code in a file without messing up the Grub dual boot menu at boot time?

As I mentioned before, I had installed a couple of prior versions of Linux Mint and have never experienced any 8 second hang or error messages at boot time. It goes beyond just an error message when the system hangs for 8 seconds and boot time is slowed down. I have Linux Mint 19.3 on another machine and for now, I'll stick with that.

In my view, whatever the reason for this, if other versions of Mint can suppress/overcome/not check for this and not hang the system at startup, it makes LM20 boot process look and feel very sloppy. If this error is of little significance to the working of the OS, then I don't want LM20 to hang the system to check for this error. On the other hand, if this error is of significance with it's implications currently unknown or unclear to me, then a fix is required to fix this.

Thanks for the several replies you posted!
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by arvy »

Well, did you try any of the kernel loading parameters suggested in that debugging link that I gave you? The first one ("acpi=off") will confirm that it really is (or isn't) an ACPI issue and, if it is, you can narrow it down from there.
newgreen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by newgreen »

Yes, after pressing "e" key on my keyboard while at at the Grub menu screen, another screen appeared. I used my down arrow key to go to the "Linux" line, and at the end of the line, I added the following:

acpi=off
Then, I pressed F10 to continue, and I got another error message instead of the original one:

[   0.506649] NMI: PCI system error (SERR) for reason a1 on CPU 0.
[   0.506650] Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
After some seconds at that error message, the boot sequence continued and Linux Mint 20 appear to start normally.

"Dazed and confused but trying to continue" ? I think I'm a little "Dazed and confused but trying to continue" to solve this problem, if I can add a little humour to this :)

Anyway, no further along on this at this point.

Thanks
arvy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by arvy »

I'm sorry, but you said that you wanted to pursue the issue and so I've given you a link to the debugging procedures that will let you do that. Each one of them explains, at least briefly, its own significance and it's up to you to draw the appropriate logical conclusions as applicable to your case. The first one ("acpi=off") is not intended to be regarded as any kind of complete or final answer. As I said, it just confirms that the issue really does originate in your system's ACPI implementation. It has done exactly that (nothing more) based on the criteria as stated for itself (i.e., if the error is the same with ACPI enabled and disabled, this may not be an ACPI issue). So you are, in fact, that much "further along" at least.

Carry on with the other debugging procedures at your own discretion, but take careful note of what each says about itself if you want to be able to draw any useful conclusions from the exercise. And note also that none of them is actually going to fix any OEM firmware issue, although one of them may let you suppress its detection and error display without being too obtrusive in other respects.
smbulius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by smbulius »

Same problem on my PC. I installed Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Debian. In all OS is same problem (kernel 4.x to 5.x versions). I didn't try the older version of kernels >4.x.

MB: Gigabyte x299 WU8 CPU: i9 10gen. BIOS: the latest version.

Please share experiences on how this problem can be solved!

Could this be the reason that the system is not working KVM (Vulnerability Itlb multihit: KVM: Mitigation: VMX disabled)??? My Linux Mint show that VT-X is Disabled, but on BIOS is enabled. Windows 10 works great, but Linux Mint dont alow VTx?!?

Return to “Installation & Boot”