A few ideas for Celena

Questions and thoughts about present and future editions
Forum rules
Before you post please read this
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

KrazyPenguin wrote: 4) I have an idea about a program and I am not sure how to describe it, or exactly how it should work but here goes........ After you set up your system, this software scans your sources.list and currently installed packages, and saves the information into some kind of config file.
Example: You might install 50 add on packages.

Next time you do a fresh install of MINT, you open up that config file using "Mint Package Safe" (whatever it will be called). Then it will list all packages to be installed with dependencies ...
:lol: You mean like this?

System #1:

Code: Select all

dpkg --get-selections > packagelist.txt
System #2:

dpkg --set-selections < packagelist.txt
apt-get dselect-upgrade
... and voila, same packages on both systems? :D

It's already implemented :wink:

KrazyPenguin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KrazyPenguin »

scorp123 wrote:
KrazyPenguin wrote: 4) I have an idea about a program and I am not sure how to describe it, or exactly how it should work but here goes........ After you set up your system, this software scans your sources.list and currently installed packages, and saves the information into some kind of config file.

Next time you do a fresh install of MINT, you open up that config file using "Mint Package Safe" (whatever it will be called). Then it will list all packages to be installed with dependencies ...

System #1:

System #2:

apt-get dselect-upgrade

I learn something new everyday !!! ;-)
Been using linux for awhile now, and I never seen this before.
Oh well :oops:

Yes, that does the trick, but is there a gui for it??
We want something user friendly and make it so we can edit it.
Let's say there are packages/programs that i don't want on my other computer, then we can uncheck them and then hit the install button.

Also, the sources list isn't included in the package. You could copy and paste your old one I suppose, but that is not what I am referring to. A program that does this all-in-one, would be great for distro-hoppers too.

I have 1412 packages listed, but some say "deinstall" :shock:

What does this mean ?

jcpeart
Level 1
Level 1

Anf idea for Celena

Post by jcpeart »

I second KrazyPenguin's idea and would go further and incorporate the concept that Clem put forth about MintSpace. On Firefox I use the Add-on FoxMarks and all of the browsers on the many and varied computers I use as part of my employment have the same and syncronized bookmarks. I am amazed at the time and effort this saves me. Right now I am running 8 computers with Linux installed, 7 have Cassandra and one has Ubuntu Feisty 64 bit. With each install/upgrade I have to reinstall a bunch of programs. A feature that would make the installation/Syncronization of the various computers the same, based on username/password, would be greatly appreciated, not only for those of us with several computers, but for those of us with only one when making an upgrade or clean install. One of the reasons I use Mint is that after trying Fedora, Suse, Debian, and even Ubuntu; Mint finally made using Linux and having access to those things we have grown accustomed to in Windoze easy. Adding a feature that would make it a snap to install/upgrade and for cross computer sychronization would make it irresistable.

I have found that those of us who are using linux are generally fairly new to this OS and we like to experiment. Some of those experiments result in glorious happenings and some result in yet another "clean" install.

mayku
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mayku »

supertux wrote:it's very easy and very nice..

i love linuxmint..
I use Envy for it. :D

Envy details and download Page

Greetings from
Kamishiro Mayku 8)

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

KrazyPenguin wrote: Yes, that does the trick, but is there a gui for it??
The Sith... ^H^H^H Shell Code

GUI's are a lie, they're just front-ends to the shell.
Through the shell, I gain sudo.
Through sudo, I gain power.
Through power, I gain root.
Through root, my chains are broken.
uid=0 shall free me.

One Truth

"man". "man" attracts the fearful, the strong,
the weak, the innocent, the corrupt.
"man". "man" is my ally.

KrazyPenguin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KrazyPenguin »

scorp123 wrote:
KrazyPenguin wrote: Yes, that does the trick, but is there a gui for it??
The Sith... ^H^H^H Shell Code

GUI's are a lie, they're just front-ends to the shell.
uid=0 shall free me.

One Truth

"man". "man" attracts the fearful, the strong,
the weak, the innocent, the corrupt.
"man". "man" is my ally.
Yes but the Shell is scaring a lot of new users away !!! :shock:

Don't you want everything as user friendly as possible???

Sure everything can be done by the Shell, and I am not saying I don't use the shell or don't want to.

You could also make a shell script to do what I am saying, or maybe I will attempt to. (Just learning bash - a little at a time)

But why not a little eye candy with some user friendliness???

Or does mint just want to be Ubuntu with mulitmedia included and not it's own distro??

There are tons of suggestions for a better distro, especially here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=253

As Ubuntu slowly implements the best ideas, I guess they will eventually show up in Mint.

Just thought Mint wanted to be the leaders and that's why they were looking for ideas.

Thanks anyway.
;-)

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

KrazyPenguin wrote: Don't you want everything as user friendly as possible???
Me personally? I don't care. It just needs to work. And I clearly prefer the shell. If you can do it in shell you can automatise it and put it into scripts.

As for sources.list .... just copy your sources.list from System #1 to System #2. Voila, done. Then the rest as I wrote in my other posting, and voila, you have the same packages on as many systems as you wish if you need to.
KrazyPenguin wrote: But why not a little eye candy with some user friendliness???
The shell is user friendly :D
KrazyPenguin wrote: Or does mint just want to be Ubuntu with mulitmedia included and not it's own distro??
Ask clem ... I'm just trying to help where I can help :wink:

madjr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by madjr »

scorp123 wrote:

System #1:

System #2:

apt-get dselect-upgrade

I use APTonCD, search for it in synaptic.

Has a nice GUI and very userfriendly. It's very similar to the "update-manager", however it also shares similar problems if there are too many files to list (gets harder to manage).

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

I would also like to have mintWifi updated - its a bit outdated, talks about Bea
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

KrazyPenguin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KrazyPenguin »

madjr wrote:
scorp123 wrote:

System #1:

System #2:

apt-get dselect-upgrade

I use APTonCD, search for it in synaptic.

Has a nice GUI and very userfriendly. It's very similar to the "update-manager", however it also shares similar problems if there are too many files to list (gets harder to manage).
That's my point !!! :shock:

An easy to manage application that does this maybe in list form:
"Internet" -> Firefox, Skype, Azureus, Thunderbird, etc.
Multimedia -> amarok, vcl player, mplayer, etc
Accessories -> tomboy, keepassx, calculator, etc.
Games -> x, y, z
u get the idea.

Each package installed on your computer would belong to a group, which can be displayed, edited, into a file an saved, making it easy to set up the same configuration on another computer, or on a fresh install.
So if you go from Debian, to Mepis to Mint it would all work.

You just pick the stuff that you are using and it will handle the dependencies.

The idea is it doesn't necessarily have to be stuff on your system to use this program. It is a "personal installer" so to speak.

you could do aptitude install a,b,c,d,e,f,g,etc

but this would basically do that but with a gui and organized packaging and editing tool and I don't see it being to hard to implement.
just basic coding it looks like.

kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

1. Get rid of all the old wallpapers, especially those that say Bianca or Cassandra.

2. Have an option not to install the 3D stuff (Beryl, Compiz, Emerald, etc.) for those of us that cannot use the effects or for use in a business environment. Will save space and speed up things.

BurungHantu
Level 1
Level 1

New Ideas

Post by BurungHantu »

NOOB here! Only used Linux for 6mon so far! So, here's an idea. I hope it's not considered a double post! I sorta mentioned it while asking when the KDE Cassandra will be finished! ;)

An option on install! To turn on Skim/Scim! I mean it seems like such a little thing. Yet if it were turned on, then all we'd have to do, those of us who need to input another language other than the local we've chosen, is download fonts, lang support etc. ;)

even EASIER than going to a Wiki and finding those pesky Cli! SO far no other distro has doen it and I don''t know why? Is it difficult? Just turn Skim/Scim on!

When U download other languages restart by logging out and back in and good to go if everything U need has been grabbed.

That small thing is really a rather big thing I think! :D

Of course, if it can't be done. All is not lost! If U can't offer the option at install as a configuration option. See Mandy(Mandriva) cause they did it. Just that they fail to pay attention to detail and this is why PClinuxOS is really a great Distro but is based on a lot
of Mandy stuff. Just they succed by paying attention and making it stable! Ok Rant over I'm writing from a Mandy install I want to put MINT over by the end of this week after I finish grading my students finals, cause I added more memory so I could run KDE and in fact ended up installing Xfce till I got more memory. Even Xfce was slow though... 256ram. Now 512ram and I still can't run KDE! :shock: Fortunately, I actually do like Xfce and it's pulling the KDE apps anyway. Running KDE Mandy was not managing memory. Didn't have much open but it would steadily get slower and slower! Usually starts when I ran OO.

Never had that happen even with other Distro's. Live CD opening of OO is faster than it is on my install... :?

Anyway. it would be really cool. I'm getting the software students interested in something other than that "OTHER OS" from M$... I'd like to give them something stable. Plus Debian has a lot of language and translation oriented apps!

Only gentoo seemed to have a similar collection. Unfortunately. I just can't activate Skim/Scim in Sabayon and they don't really care either. A lot of others needing language moved on to other Distro's where they could get lang support working.

Well, I hope that little Idea becomes a reality in the name of making it USER FRIENDLY!

kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

scorp123 wrote: GUI's are a lie, they're just front-ends to the shell.
uid=0 shall free me.
That is fine for Linux gurus like Scorp who are happier using the command line then wading through graphical menus. That's about how I felt when my company first started using windows (3.0). I was much happier using dos and writing dos menus than using that buggy window interface (although it was fun to waste time designing wallpaper). Now MS has completely abandoned dos.

However, Mint was designed to attract a variety of users and is especially valuable to attract the Windows crowd to Linux, through an easy interface (now that there is an opening with the Vista fiasco). That and the fact that Mint provides immediate full functionality (and is elegant :D).

It seems to be the trend to provide distros that can be fully functional using GUI only. That will attract Windows users who are only accustomed to using graphical interfaces. Whether this is desirable or not, and I think it is, it is probably the best way to gain popularity for a new distro. At least there is always an option to use the terminal as users grow more experienced.

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

kenetics wrote: I was much happier using dos and writing dos menus than using that buggy window interface (although it was fun to waste time designing wallpaper). Now MS has completely abandoned dos.
You haven't heard of Windows Server 2008 then? It will have a mode called "Core Installation". Guess what? Yes, you guessed correctly: This will be command-line only, no GUI! :lol:

So finally even Microsoft recognizes (and rediscovers!) the power of the shell :lol:

Don't get me wrong: I too appreciate a nice and "easy to click around" GUI. But wouldn't it give you a warm fuzzy feeling in the belly if you knew that you could use the shell efficiently if ever you *had to* (e.g. if you all of a sudden had no other choice) ... ? :wink:

kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Don't get me wrong: I too appreciate a nice and "easy to click around" GUI. But wouldn't it give you a warm fuzzy feeling in the belly if you knew that you could use the shell efficiently if ever you *had to* (e.g. if you all of a sudden had no other choice) ... ?
Yes, of course. That is my ultimate Linux goal, given enough time and effort.
Although I can get about the same fuzzy feeling with a few bottles of Guinness and little effort. :lol:

kainnvin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kainnvin »

Don't get me wrong, I love that fact that you can do everything from the shell and that you can configure/personalize everything in linux, but sometimes I just miss some good old click and dont think kind of usage in some things and they turn out alright without any extra configuration.
Oh and I didn't really notice when installing, but Mint is like Ubuntu I suppose, no micro-manage installation. That is fine, a Windows type install can get more people to try it out, but having the option to micro-manage also(call it an advance mode install) would be nice too.

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

kainnvin wrote: but having the option to micro-manage also(call it an advance mode install) would be nice too.
You can still do that after the installation. I do that all the time here. Just today I found a few really nice audio players that I discovered by surfing around in Synaptic :D

kosmonaut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kosmonaut »

Servus!

Just a little notice, here:
In the next release, there should be "mpg123" and "vorbis-*tool?*" (dang! I've forgotten the name of that app) installed by default...so that you have this music preview working in Gnome, by default. Do you know what I mean?

Well: This not the most important thing to do, but this would be *nice*

'Cheers...K.

wdc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wdc »

when will Celena be released? if there is any date.

w.

gcc
Level 1
Level 1

mint server

Post by gcc »

<shrugs> if you guys need some server code to operate a system such as has been mentioned earlier about one click sharing of files, I can write that.

Return to “About Mint Editions”