[Solved] Computer stuck in startup loop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Sugarcrisp
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Computer stuck in startup loop

Post by Sugarcrisp »

I'm currently working on my mothers computer remotely (she's in Canada, I'm in Vietnam). It is an HP 6730B laptop, running LM 19. I was connected remotely doing an update. I believe that it received a kernel update which prompted me to reboot. The reboot will not complete. It will go to the LM logo and then to a blue screen with the curser flashing in the upper left. From there, it will cycle between a black screen and the blue screen. I've tried selecting previous kernels, but no change. As far as I can tell it is running the 4.15 kernel series. I've tried to have my mother access the tty (she knows nothing about computers) and run some commands that I've found via Google with similar issues, but they have been unsuccessful. When using the tty, it will only remain on the screen for about 10 sec before going to the blue screen and back to black (making it very difficult to get any information). When it gets to the black screen, we can access the tty again. Because I believed it to be a kernel issue, I had her try to start in a live session. However, it follows the same pattern of blue screen and black screen, which makes me question a kernel issue. Getting you further details will be very difficult due to the cycling issue, but I will do my best to provide the information that you will need. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

We managed to do a Timeshift restore via tty. This tells me that we are accessing the drive, but it hasn't made any change. We have also disconnected everything from the computer to try again and still no change.
Last edited by Sugarcrisp on Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
deck_luck
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Computer stuck in startup loop

Post by deck_luck »

It appears the base-files package update removed the /var/run->/run symbolic link. Please see the following post:
Re: Laptop with mint 19 stopped booting
🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE 💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
SMG
Level 21
Level 21

Post by SMG »

Sugarcrisp wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:27 am
When using the tty, it will only remain on the screen for about 10 sec before going to the blue screen and back to black (making it very difficult to get any information). When it gets to the black screen, we can access the tty again. Because I believed it to be a kernel issue, I had her try to start in a live session. However, it follows the same pattern of blue screen and black screen, which makes me question a kernel issue.
As deck_luck has mentioned, those with the LM Tara issue have been helped by that post. However, not all releases of LM19 were affected and the update causing issues did not require a reboot to be installed. (However, the problem arose after the computer was rebooted.) Additionally those asked to provide data via a live-session USB were able to do so (provided they had a USB). It is possible your mother's computer has a different issue. Or some of the things you tried brought about additional issues.

Do you know what kind of graphics the computer has? Is it just Intel or maybe does it have AMD or Nvidia card?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Sugarcrisp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sugarcrisp »

Thank you deck_luck. That worked perfectly!!!!
Sugarcrisp
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [Solved] Computer stuck in startup loop

Post by Sugarcrisp »

Hey SMG! Thanks for the note. As you mentioned, deck_luck provided the solution. I believe I was unable to use the live usb for the same reason. It was getting stuck due to the lightdm service. Not sure if it may have worked if I had tried stopping the service.

The graphics card is Intel GMA 4500MHD
Sugarcrisp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sugarcrisp »

I thought the issue was solved. I followed the directions and it did indeed let me back into my system. However, when I updated the system and either log out or reboot, it creates the same issue again. Does anyone know what I need to do to prevent it from happening after the repair?
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Sugarcrisp wrote:Does anyone know what I need to do to prevent it from happening after the repair?
"Notes: About 2h ago, the repositories were rolled back to version 19.0.1 of the base-files package. It can take up to 48h for this change to be picked up by all the mirrors."

More info ...

viewtopic.php?f=143&t=331605
Sugarcrisp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Sugarcrisp »

Thanks for the update JoeFootball.
SMG
Level 21
Level 21

Post by SMG »

Sugarcrisp wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:01 am
I thought the issue was solved. I followed the directions and it did indeed let me back into my system. However, when I updated the system and either log out or reboot, it creates the same issue again. Does anyone know what I need to do to prevent it from happening after the repair?
Here is Clem's post on the issue Warning: Critical issue in base-file 19.0.2 update. It is just the one file which caused issues.

Some people had other issues, possibly because of what else they tried to get things working again. One person person was able to run their Timeshift snapshot after getting in and that restored their system. Maybe if you do the fix and then run Timeshift you will be able to clear whatever issues you are having if your issue is not because of a repository still having the problematic file.
jonau01
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jonau01 »

Sugarcrisp wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:27 am
We managed to do a Timeshift restore via tty. This tells me that we are accessing the drive, but it hasn't made any change. We have also disconnected everything from the computer to try again and still no change.
Comment on the side : either your timeshift configration (no offense) is not configured properly or timeshift snapshot does not cover this kind of issue.
This comment is not intended to offense any one but simply warning users to verify their backup solution.
SMG
Level 21
Level 21

Post by SMG »

jonau01 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:51 am
Comment on the side : either your timeshift configration (no offense) is not configured properly or timeshift snapshot does not cover this kind of issue.
This comment is not intended to offense any one but simply warning users to verify their backup solution.
If you read Clem's post on the issue Warning: Critical issue in base-file 19.0.2 update he explains,
"This issue is a very special one though, with /var/run still being there but being a different directory than /run, Timeshift doesn't detect the change and thus doesn't restore this properly. We'll need to analyse this going forward."

Return to “Beginner Questions”