New installation Clipgrab not working (solved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
salty1953
Level 2
Level 2

New installation Clipgrab not working (solved)

Post by salty1953 »

I've downloaded the latest Clipgrab 3.9.5 onto Mint 20. Every time I open it I get a prompt to download Youtube.dl after which the program shows a "working on it timer" . I have also downloaded Youtube dl from Software manager. I've tried using a PPA but it is not supported in Focal. Seems like the program can't find the Youtube .dl .
Last edited by salty1953 on Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Re: New installation Clipgrab not working

Post by Valsodar »

Apparently there's a problem with the program dependencies. Simply download youtube-dl from here (see the first link below), unpack it with File-Roller somewhere and copy the contents of the archive as root to the root directory of Mint. Then Clipgrab will work. I've done things like that (with packages from Arch and other distros) when I used to use Mint, so there's nothing to worry about. Either way the contents inside the package is the same.

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/comm ... /download/

Another option is to download an appimage directly from Clipgrab's website, though I don't trust appimages much cuz sometimes they don't work.
https://download.clipgrab.org/ClipGrab- ... 4.AppImage
Intel Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti 6GB, Corsair 32GB DDR3-1600, Firefox, (rolling) Arch Cinnamon
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Valsodar wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:01 pm
Apparently there's a problem with the program dependencies. Simply download youtube-dl from here (see the first link below), unpack it with File-Roller somewhere and copy the contents of the archive as root to the root directory of Mint. Then Clipgrab will work. I've done things like that (with packages from Arch and other distros) when I used to use Mint, so there's nothing to worry about. Either way the contents inside the package is the same.

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/comm ... /download/

Another option is to download an appimage directly from Clipgrab's website, though I don't trust appimages much cuz sometimes they don't work.
https://download.clipgrab.org/ClipGrab- ... 4.AppImage
trust has nothing to do with appimages. they are safe especially if downloaded from official sources. the thing is that if you start using appimages they are all bundled with dependencies so you can fill your hard drive quite easily when you start downloading gigabytes of games and apps.
OP: i just downloaded the official appimage from clipgrab site (had to make it executable to open) search doesn't work very well finding what i want but the url works in downloads tab. although i'm in 19.3 i don't see why mint 20 would not work the same
ps: did you click continue when it was trying to find youtube_dl? kind of lame to have a 98MB appimage and not include it's own youtebe_dl if it needs it in dependencies

personally i use https://subhra74.github.io/xdm/#downloads 7.2.11 and works on quite a few platforms and video formats. the learning curve to use it is a bit twisted but hasn't failed me yet
salty1953
Level 2
Level 2

Post by salty1953 »

I have downloaded the Appimage from the official website.
The Archlinux package link is not supported in my system. Software manager says Youtube .dl is installed.
When I click continue for the Youtube dl download it does the download and seems to stall after it's finished. If I close the program or reboot it repeats and downloads youtube.dl over again.
DAMIEN1307
Level 12
Level 12

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I think you will have to first remove any youyube dl that you have previously tried to install manually and THEN allow ClipGrab to automatically download the youtube dl that it knows will work for it...Thats what i did and mine works...Also dont forget to activate ClipGrab in its "permissions" so that it will work...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
salty1953
Level 2
Level 2

Post by salty1953 »

I did the manual Youtube.dl download after I had tried the Clipgrab option many times so I'm not sure that is the issue.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

trytip wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:28 pm
trust has nothing to do with appimages. they are safe especially if downloaded from official sources
I wasn't talking about safety but about the fact that they often don't work - the app just won't start. Like Gifcurry - downloading the appimage from the app website and it still won't start.
Intel Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti 6GB, Corsair 32GB DDR3-1600, Firefox, (rolling) Arch Cinnamon
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Valsodar wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:51 pm
trytip wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:28 pm
trust has nothing to do with appimages. they are safe especially if downloaded from official sources
I wasn't talking about safety but about the fact that they often don't work - the app just won't start. Like Gifcurry - downloading the appimage from the app website and it still won't start.
rightclick on the .appimage > properties > Permissions and ENABLE CHECK for Execute: Allow executing file as program
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I had the same issue with LM20 & ClipGrab-3.9.5-x86_64.AppImage.
I corresponded with Philipp at ClipGrab.
After several workarounds, I found the answer. Python is not installed on LM20, so you need to install it, then open ClipGrab, then download the youtube-dl file.
The fix:
sudo aptitude install python python2 python-is-python2 python3 python3-all
Last edited by Joe2Shoe on Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

trytip wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:01 pm
rightclick on the .appimage > properties > Permissions and ENABLE CHECK for Execute: Allow executing file as program
I know that. It's not the issue. AviDemux appimage runs just fine whereas others simply won't start. And when I said I didn't trust appimages, I meant that I don't trust them to be made in the right way with all the dependencies they require.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Valsodar wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:50 pm
trytip wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:01 pm
I know that. It's not the issue. AviDemux appimage runs just fine whereas others simply won't start. And when I said I didn't trust appimages, I meant that I don't trust them to be made in the right way with all the dependencies they require.
whether you trust developers to include everything and make it work across multiple platforms is quite the task.
what errors you get dragging the .appimages in a Terminal
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

trytip wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:56 pm
what errors you get dragging the .appimages in a Terminal
Just the address to the appimage but that's not important anymore bc I'll just unpack the appimage and figure it out from there what to do next in order to make it run. Though having to unpack the appimage happens rarely bc in most cases I find what I need in the official Arch repo or in AUR and in 99.999% of the cases it works just fine. ;)

Let's don't spin out the man's topic with irrelevant and ancient stuff. ;)
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

Maybe the reason most AppImages do not work for some people, is that python is not installed on their systems.
After installing python-is-python2 on my rigs, ClipGrab works flawlessly now. That proves that the absence of python was the cause (as suggested by Philipp at ClipGrab), not the AppImage.
You may find that installing python (as posted in my earlier post) will solve those AppImage problems.
If not, at least you have python installed now, which is required by many apps.
Good luck.
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

You may also need to install python-is-python3, which will remove python-is-python2.
sudo aptitude install python-is-python3
salty1953
Level 2
Level 2

Post by salty1953 »

Install of python-is-python3 worked
tomreedtoon
Level 1
Level 1

Re: New installation Clipgrab not working (solved)

Post by tomreedtoon »

I followed the advice about downloading the ClipGrab appimage - clipgrab-for-linux-3.9.6.appimage - and marking it as executable. And it executes to a degree: it seems to download clips. But once that screen is closed it disappears. I can't install it as an app. Its name appears in Mint's Software manager, but does not show any information and can't find it. When I tried to find it in Synaptic Package Manager, i got the attached error message. Image
so...should I delete the attached files like the various Python (and how do I find and do that?) or is there another solution, like finding a way for the download to install the appimage? Thanks in advance.
mikeflan
Level 9
Level 9

Re: New installation Clipgrab not working (solved)

Post by mikeflan »

I guess the takeaway is that clipgrab-for-linux-3.9.5 and clipgrab-for-linux-3.9.6 do not work, and clipgrab-for-linux-3.9.2 does work:
viewtopic.php?p=1922484#p1922484