All Desktop Screenshots of 2021

Show off your customized Linux Mint desktop!
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Re: All Desktop Screenshots of 2021

Post by rossdv8 »

There is a conky showoff thread:
Thanks for that. I should have known we'd have something of the sort. Although I'm still promising myself I 'WILL NOT WRITE ONE' from scratch.

If I keep saying it to myself - maybe I'll believe it :lol:
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
MattJ86
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MattJ86 »

Mint Mate. Original Mint-Y-Dark theme and icons, top panel set to black with global menu applet, Plank with my own black theme. All system fonts set to Spleen font, including Terminator's font. For quick search I use Albert launcher with Yosemite-Dark theme and Ctrl+Space hotkey.

Waiting for new Mint-Y-Dark window buttons from 20.3. They look better than old ones.

dm999

Post by dm999 »

^ I like that Matt, it looks really slick.

What's the story behind the wallpaper? Is it anything to do with Motörhead?

Welcome to the forum btw.
MattJ86
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MattJ86 »

dm999 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:24 pm ^ I like that Matt, it looks really slick.

Thanks. :) I worked hard to tweak it to look that way. I had to learn how to modify the Plank theme scripts to achieve the looks I want. I created different versions of this Plank theme: low, mid and high and half-transparent versions of those three. It's great that Mint comes with great icons and theme, so I didn't have to look for anything on the internet. Only font was the real hassle. I wanted a font that resemble Mu/th/ur computer terminal font from Alien movie and tried like 100 of different fonts. The funny thing that the best one was there... in the repo... :lol:

Yeah, I listen to guitar music, I play electric guitar and love Motörhead. Also I love the 'spades'
symbol.

Here You can see how everything else looks with the Spleen font.

Last edited by MattJ86 on Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dm999

Post by dm999 »

MattJ86 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:56 pm
dm999 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:24 pm ^ I like that Matt, it looks really slick.

Thanks. :) I worked hard to tweak it to look that way. I had to learn how to modify the Plank theme scripts to achieve the looks I want. I created different versions of this Plank theme: low, mid and high and half-transparent versions of those three. It's great that Mint comes with great icons and theme, so I didn't have to look for anything on the internet. Only font was the real hassle. I wanted a font that resemble Mu/th/ur computer terminal font from Alien movie and tried like 100 of different fonts. The funny thing that the best one was there... in the repo... :lol:

Yeah, I listen to guitar music, I play electric guitar and love Motörhead. Also I love the 'spades'
symbol.
You've obviously put a lot of effort into it, I keep meaning to look into Plank, you've inspired me so I'm gonna install it now and have a fettle.

Cheers 8)
MattJ86
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MattJ86 »

I really recommend Plank. It's really lightweight, easy to use, reliable and editing themes is pretty straightforward. If you want I can always send you my themes for reference. :)
dm999

Post by dm999 »

MattJ86 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:14 pm I really recommend Plank. It's really lightweight, easy to use, reliable and editing themes is pretty straightforward. If you want I can always send you my themes for reference. :)
Cool, thanks a lot, I'll have a play around with it first and see how I get on. I might take you up on your offer later 8)
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

@dm999 @MattJ86

I should give Plank a go one of these days - I use Cairo, personally, as I find it far more tweakable than plank, but I've heard good things about Plank!

Here's my current setup with Cairo on the right and my Conky setup next to that (a highly customized/personalized version of the 'Minamlis' Conk theme):
MattJ86
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MattJ86 »

@darkstrike

I don't know much about Cairo, but the main point of Plank is to be simplest as possible and DE/WM agnostic. There could be few more options in the theme syntax like dynamic transparency, blur and built-in separators. The only way to add separators to Plank is dragging and dropping a picture of a separator to the dock and placing it where you want them to be. Also the only supported hiding animations are basically disappearing and sliding off the screen. Despite the limitations I find Plank the best dock for a lighweight DE or WM. Another thing is that you can find tons of themes for Plank, including ones made to resemble all the MacOS docks and some are made to look kinda Windows 11... If anybody wants my themes I can share them and explain how to edit them to achieve certain looks.
MattJ86
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MattJ86 »

I've made a new Plank theme with a funny name. It looks kinda Gamerrr!!!. 8) The animation is set to disappearing instead of sliding from the screen.

Too bad that Plank's theme options don't include changing the indicator looks. The only option seems to be the dot size. It's color is system theme dependent, if you set your theme's main color from green to blue, red or whatever the dot will be that color after you restart Plank.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

I think I might have worked out how to modify my Conky.
Modified the positions of the dials and the text to line up properly with various elephants and to fit 1920 x 1050 display.
Changed the Font colour to Yellow/Bold for now because it works on most wallpapers. Fixed the Clock so the Hour, Minute and Second rings are different colours, all start at 'Noon' on the rings and actually line up at the correct spots for the time.
That was an interesting learning effort - all by trial and (a lot of) error. :D I now have half a dozen in different colour combos that I can switch in and out quickly using the Conky Manager.

Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

rossdv8 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:20 pm I think I might have worked out how to modify my Conky.
Modified the positions of the dials and the text to line up properly with various elephants and to fit 1920 x 1050 display.
Changed the Font colour to Yellow/Bold for now because it works on most wallpapers. Fixed the Clock so the Hour, Minute and Second rings are different colours, all start at 'Noon' on the rings and actually line up at the correct spots for the time.
That was an interesting learning effort - all by trial and (a lot of) error. :D I now have half a dozen in different colour combos that I can switch in and out quickly using the Conky Manager.

Very nice! I have mine set in a way I just change the hex code next to one line for a color in the theme file and it lets me easily color-code it to whatever wallpaper / icon choices I have :)
MattJ86
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MattJ86 »

Maybe I should add conky to my desktop. It feels kinda empty. I should also learn how to create the themes. :idea:
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

MattJ86 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:45 pm Maybe I should add conky to my desktop. It feels kinda empty. I should also learn how to create the themes. :idea:
It's quite fun to play around with....you can also find lots of existing themes that you can then tweak to your personal taste, as I did with the customized version of the Minimalis theme that I use :)
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

Maybe I should add conky to my desktop. It feels kinda empty. I should also learn how to create the themes. :idea:
Be prepared to lose hours - or even days !!

It becomes addictive - especially if you decide to learn by doing. What was the old saying?
Before all else fails - RTFM . .
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

majpooper wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:06 pm
jungle_boy wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:39 pm Image
Absolutely a beautiful desktop ! What theme are those icons? Where did you get them? Also where did the LM icon come from?
The name of the theme is BeautyLine icons, I got it in gnome-look.org.

To install the menu icon, right-click on the menu icon, then click the icon option and choose the icon you want.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
MattJ86
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MattJ86 »

darkstrike wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:31 pm
I came up with this by editing one of the settings that came with Conky Manager. :oops: I can even add notes by editing a file called NOTATKI that you can see on my desktop. After saving the changes to the file Conky displays the contents.

majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

jungle_boy wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:53 pm The name of the theme is BeautyLine icons, I got it in gnome-look.org.

To install the menu icon, right-click on the menu icon, then click the icon option and choose the icon you want.
THX Much - I ended up using candy-icon icon theme which are similar but downloaded the BeautyLine now as well.
I know how to change the menu icon - what I was curious about is where lm logo that you use came from - I have been looking all over for it but can't find it anywhere

Here is my Cinnamon on Ubuntu server with the candy-icon with the Cinnamox-Aubergine theme and the Cinnamenu
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

MattJ86 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:01 pm
darkstrike wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:31 pm
I came up with this by editing one of the settings that came with Conky Manager. :oops: I can even add notes by editing a file called NOTATKI that you can see on my desktop. After saving the changes to the file Conky displays the contents.
Nice! If I have to leave quick notes to myself, I usually just leave empty text files on my desktop with the filename as whatever reminder I need as in:

'GET GROCERIES.txt' or 'Car appointment Thurs.txt' or the like....crude, but I don't use it often (I use Google Calendar for reminders more!) and it works! :)

Return to “Screenshots”