How to register screenshots on the default desktop ?

Show off your customized Linux Mint desktop!
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Liriz
Level 2
Level 2

How to register screenshots on the default desktop ?

Post by Liriz »

Hello,

When I take a screenshot, the message offers me to save it in the default image folder.
I would like to change it so that Linux Mint proposes to save it directly on the default desktop.
Is there a file to edit to change this ?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to register screenshots on the default desktop ?

Post by xenopeek »

Maybe but which Linux Mint are you using? They may use different screenshot programs, depending on whether you're using Cinnamon, MATE or Xfce. If you don't know which Linux Mint you installed check System Info in your menu or run inxi -S on the terminal.

Edit: I think Cinnamon and MATE both use Gnome Screenshot. You can configure this with dconf-editor. Install it first through Synaptic Package Manager or with command apt install dconf-editor. After installation you'll find dconf Editor in the Administration category of your menu. Start it and browse to the path /org/gnome/gnome-screeenshot/auto-save-directory and untick 'Use default value' and set 'Custom value' to /home/yourusername/Desktop/. When you press Print Screen button now it will select the Desktop directory. For some reason when you run Screenshot program from the menu, it still selects the Pictures directory. But with Print Screen it works, at least on Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon. Might need logging out and back it to effect the configuration change.
Jo-con-Ël
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Jo-con-Ël »

If using screenshot tools/apps they will offer you the last folder used to save screenshots by default. So there is no need to change any setting jut use the same folder all the time. Notice they are different apps when using Menu access or shortcuts you have created (by examle to xfce4-screenshooter on XFCE) than applets, i.e. elements (Mate and XFCE) or mininapplications (cinnamon) on panel. :wink:
Last edited by Jo-con-Ël on Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arrieritos semos y en el camino nos encontraremos.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

I run Linux Mint Cinnamon.
From the Repository I installed "Gnome-screenshot".
I use it and after hitting "Take Screenshot" it offers a "Name" box for the shot and this name can be changed. The picture's format (png by default) could also be changed. Under that a "Save in folder" box and it defaults to Desktop but can be changed to what ever is wanted.

So what screenshot app are you using that doesn't give an option of where to save?
Liriz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Liriz »

Hello and thank you for your answers.
So it's solved thanks to you.

Yes, from the start menu it is possible to keep the last address by default, so the desktop if you want. But with the Print key, it reproposed the "images" folder every time. Always obliged to redraw the menu to direct to the desktop. It was a bit annoying.
Anyway, thanks to dconf-editor this is solved. Thanks Xenopeek. :)

But just out of curiosity.
If I just wanted to modify this by hand, is there a file to edit for this ?
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Liriz wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:25 pm ...
If I just wanted to modify this by hand, is there a file to edit for this ?
As @xenopeek said above: fine tuning can be done with the dconf-editor.

Liriz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Liriz »

Ok

Return to “Screenshots”