Having Trouble Installing Conky

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Trace
Level 1
Level 1

Having Trouble Installing Conky

Post by Trace »

I'm super new to Linux and have it running on a few older macbooks. I have a lot to learn.

Trying to install Conky Manager and am getting this error in terminal:
  • sudo apt install conky-manager
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package conky-manager
Any help would be appreciated. As for how to paste in my system information and set up, I see that done here but I do not yet know how to generate that report so if you need me to provide more info, I'd appreciate some assistance with that as well. Thanks :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Having Trouble Installing Conky

Post by zcot »

Just to mention, conky and conky-manager are completely separate programs, since the thread title says you are having trouble installing conky. You can install conky simply with the software manager, synaptic, or using terminal command: apt install conky-all.

As for conky-manager, that package doesn't exist past the Ubuntu 18.xx repositories, the work was abandoned years ago, however there is an official fork called conky-manager2 that is actively worked on.

conky-manager2 is not packaged in the default Ubuntu repository, but you can install the program from here: https://github.com/zcot/conky-manager2
Koentje
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Koentje »

zcot wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:45 am
Funny how small our world is. I recently had a small conversation with you on github! (lowrida) ;)

Trace wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:49 am I'm super new to Linux and have it running on a few older macbooks. I have a lot to learn.
You have to install the following packages before building Conky-Manager2. You can use this command:

Code: Select all

apt install build-essential git valac libgee-0.8-dev libgtk-3-dev libjson-glib-dev gettext libgettextpo-dev p7zip-full imagemagick
Then get (clone) the conky-manager2 source from github with this command:

git clone https://github.com/zcot/conky-manager2.git
cd into the conky-manager2 folder

cd conky-manager2
compile the source:

make
Install compilation:

sudo make install
I can't remember if this also makes a shortcut in your menu, so if not, then you also have to do that.
Make a subfolder in home called ~/.conky were you stuff all your conky scripts in.
If you start Conky-Manager2 it will find them in there.

Good luck! ;)
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Koentje wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:25 pm
I can't remember if this also makes a shortcut in your menu,

Make a subfolder in home called ~/.conky were you stuff all your conky scripts in.
Yes, it will create a menu shortcut for you.

Also, it will already create that ~/.conky folder because it installs the base configs package that Teejee had added to the conky-manager originally.

:wink:
Koentje
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Koentje »

zcot wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:28 pm Also, it will already create that ~/.conky folder because it installs the base configs package that Teejee had added to the conky-manager originally.
This is not always the case.. on mint 19 it did, on mint20 it did not. (in my case)
I had my own backup folder full of scripts, so i did not care. But in case it does not make the ~/.conky folder you can go to /usr/share/conky-manager2/theme and extract this archive to ~/.conky.

And btw, that Conky Seamod is still screwed up! That never ran how it supposed to be on any of my systems..

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”