Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
robfish
Level 1
Level 1

Legacy nVidia 340 drivers no longer supported

Post by robfish »

I am posting this in the hope that it might save others long searches for the answers.
I will make the long story short:-

The latest 340 driver will not work on the lastest 5.4 kernels (and probably will not for future kernels because NVIDIA are no longer providing support for the 340 driver)

Also, as far as I know there is no workaround that will keep it going on any newer kernels.
The only solution is to go back to earlier kernels or get a newer GPU.
Termy
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Legacy nVidia 340 drivers no longer supported

Post by Termy »

That sucks, but the drivers are still available for download, so does it even matter? I just use nouveau, but apparently a lot of people are stuck with old nVidia drivers anyway, because of newer drivers not working on their older graphics cards.
Last edited by Termy on Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

Hello robfish,
The latest 340 driver will not work on the lastest 5.4 kernels
That could not be true. I'm now writing from a laptop with the 340 driver (Nvidia GeForce 9300M GS) and kernel 5.4.0-104 in use. If you have problems with your card, it seems to have another reason. All the previous 5.4 kernels also worked.
SMG
Level 23
Level 23

Post by SMG »

robfish wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:42 pm
I am posting this in the hope that it might save others long searches for the answers.
I will make the long story short:-
I think we need to hear the long story, because the information I have indicates otherwise.

According to Nvidia Support timeframes for Unix legacy GPU releases,"The Linux 340.* legacy driver series is the last to support the G8x, G9x, and GT2xx GPUs, and motherboard chipsets based on them. Support for X.Org xserver version 1.20 was added to the 340.* legacy driver series with version 340.107, and support for Linux kernels up to Linux 5.4 was added with version 340.108. No further releases from the 340.* series are planned."

Nvidia last updated the 340 driver in December 2019, but LM20 versions use the 5.4 LTS kernel and X.Org version 1.20 so that driver should work.

I believe there has also been some gitbhub work done so the Nvidia-340 will work on kernels newer than 5.4, but I don't have those links handy right now.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Hardware Support”