Large number of large hard disks

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
tashimee
Level 1
Level 1

Large number of large hard disks

Post by tashimee »

I am running 17 hard disks on my system from 8TB to 16TB. I added 2 18TB disks and the system keeps dropping some of them. I am going to be adding 2 more 18TB disks.

Is there a way to run all these disks without some of them just disappearing?

Linux Mint 19.3
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Large number of large hard disks

Post by rene »

If you are talking about software RAID and if drives not for specific RAID use and/or unequal brands/firmwares are involved it's quite expected to have drives drop from the array due to timing errors; you can basically only reliably RAID up same drives (and even then, very preferably ones with a firmware intended specifically for the purpose).

In any case please specify further because more than e.g. 6 SATA-ports would not be expected on a system. Separate additional controller? Insufficient PSU problem?
tashimee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tashimee »

I'm not running raid.
tashimee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tashimee »

I am running 3 probox and 4 drives in the computer.
tashimee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tashimee »

Is there a limit to how many disks can be run on this system?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

ProBox as in a USB-connected enclosure? If so you may be looking at a USB power-saving issue; you'd look more specific for issues with your model of enclosure; some users will have experienced same. I'll otherwise withdraw from the thread.

No; there would be no specific limit on number of disks.
tashimee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tashimee »

I figured out a work around, not turning all the disks on at the same time.

Model Nos: H82-SU3S2 REV 3 (2)
HF2-SU3S2 REV 3

Are you talking about the power from the motherboard or the power from the device? The devices have their own power supply.

Would a later model make any difference?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

A power issue as such it'll likely not be with only 4 internal and the others powered by the enclosure(s). A power saving issue it could be and you'd therefore most likely look in the setup of that Mediasonic enclosure that not I nor likely anyone else here has any idea about; it's very non-generic hardware.

If I look here; https://mans.io/files/viewer/386088/1 first thing I'd try is switch "Synchronization Mode" to off so as to rule out any PC-sides USB power-saving issues. If that helps you can keep it as such or would want to turn of power-saving features on that USB port PC-sides -- but I'm not sure why that wouldn't be automatic if drives are used/mounted. Maybe power-saving features on the drive(s) that disappear themselves; on SATA it's easier to check, but if the disappearing drive(s) are on USB, again that enclosure can basically do anything it wants -- and I do not know what it does want/do.

I.e., hope you'll get things sorted, but that enclosure is going to have a pretty specific controller and other than advise to google around for possible other Linux users with the issue I couldn't tell you anything else (other than that above trying of switching "synchronization" off on the enclosure).
t42
Level 8
Level 8

Post by t42 »

Manufacturer proudly stated they or they device don't support Linux and they approved only up to 14T per drive. Still I'm even not in in this thread.
-=t42=-
tashimee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tashimee »

Thank you sync off worked.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »