ham radio support

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PC-Confused
Level 1
Level 1

upgrade

Post by PC-Confused »

I am currently using MINT 18.3 and really need to upgrade to 21.1, to again receive updates. If I upgrade, will I lose my NetLogger program and all of the contact information I've created? I've tried to backup my home folder, but it was too big for my external drive.
Last edited by SMG on Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Beginner Questions to Ham Radio Support topic because Netlogger is a program for Amateur (Ham) Radio operators and the people posting in this topic would likely know the answer to this question.
bluzee
Level 1
Level 1

Re: ham radio support

Post by bluzee »

Netlogger runs fine on Mint 21. I just installed it for the first time the other day. It appears to keep all it's data in ~/.config/NetLogger

As for will you lose your data when you upgrade the answer to that is always maybe. If you created a separate partition for /home when you did your initial install then that is less likely. A fresh install, should that be necessary can be done without reformatting the /home directory in that case. It's still possible to format it by mistake during the install.

The upgrade all the way from 18 to 21 is done in stages you can't skip directly from 18 to 21. With that big of a jump I would probably think a fresh install might work out better in the end.

So, I would look for a bigger drive to fit your back up onto. Don't start this upgrade until you are confident there is a good backup of your home directory. You can split up the backup over several drives if necessary.
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

Keeping an eye on this thread! KC8PIQ
Desktop: LM 21.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb
Laptop: MSI GE76 Raider i9 LM21.1
SteveR
Level 3
Level 3

Re: upgrade

Post by SteveR »

PC-Confused wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:28 pm I am currently using MINT 18.3 and really need to upgrade to 21.1, to again receive updates. If I upgrade, will I lose my NetLogger program and all of the contact information I've created? I've tried to backup my home folder, but it was too big for my external drive.
One strategy that you can implement to minimize the loss of any data, is to create a new partition or install a new hard drive and load Mint 21.1 on it. Keep your partition with Mint 18.3, as-is. Before doing anything, make a full backup.

Make the Mint 21.1 partition the bootable partition. You can then move data from the Mint 18.3 partition to the Mint 21.1 partition. Bluzee has already indicated that the data you want to save is in the directory: ~/.config/NetLogger

Take a look at this article for some help: How to Move Your Home Folder to Another Partition in Linux

Once you are satisfied that you have moved all the data you wish to save to the Mint 21.1 partition, you can delete the Mint 18.3 partition. If your Mint 18.3 home directory is not too large, you can copy it to a USB drive for possible future reference.

Steve, KE6TDP
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a_hippie »

I updated from Mint 20.3 to 21.1 . . . Will, broke hamlibs so no more rig control. Now looking for possible way to build hamlibs* the debian way, then reinstall ALL the ham software that was removed when I tried to install hamlibs* from debian testing.

bugger.

Will post back if I get things working. Or revert back to 20.3

Tnx & 73
Jaye
--
Wishing you well
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a_hippie »

UPGADE 20.3 > 21.1

Now considering if I should build hamlibs* with a generic build or
Switch back to 20.3, old but rig control worked and is essential to using pat WL2K.

I searched Ubuntu's beta 23.04 beta packages, the hamlibs there is MUCH newer. Problem then is it will take a long time before Mint makes their next release based on that.

Seeking advice on debian-user reflector: https://lists.debian.org/debian-hams/20 ... 00010.html

So, do use caution if you elect to upgrade. I DID make the backups, so I always have the option to restore.

Will keep posting updates.

Jaye
--
Wishing you well
mintyblue
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mintyblue »

You could try compiling the latest version from source. Hamlib 4.5.5 was released a couple weeks ago.
https://github.com/Hamlib/Hamlib
https://hamlib.github.io/

Each line is a new command.

sudo apt install git

git clone https://github.com/Hamlib/Hamlib.git

cd Hamlib

./bootstrap

./configure

make

sudo make install
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a_hippie »

Hi ??

Pulling source isn't my issue. Building/installing packages outside of a package manager is.

I've requested some assistance from debain-hams, which is kind of like pulling teeth from an alligator. Today, I successfully built hamlibs. I was able to install and remove it without blowing anything up. But I posted another message requesting some clarification with the libs & utilities. I hope I'll receive an answer before new years (sarcasm.)

I'm making notes so it will be easily reproduced. As new radios come along, hamlibs that support them needs to be easy to access.

My buddy loves scripting and volunteered to build a build script. Basically click and shazam, new ham libs, shiny and new, ready to install.

Hopefully the progress will continue.

TU & 73
Jaye
--
Wishing you well
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a_hippie »

Some good success on the hamlibs front. Christoph over at debian-hams has been helping me doing the debian build of the latest hamlibs! I have managed to build a working pair of debs: libhamlib4 and hamlib-utils. Today I decided to do the acid test and install them.

Again, success! My hamlibs now work for everything except pat-winlink which isn't a problem with hamlibs but with either kernel or pulse. I'm seeking help on the pat-users group io thing. Will be nice having pat working again!

BTW, I only build AMD64 versions. My next step is to attempt build on my thinkpad for my Rpi3b 32 bit computer. . .

tnx & 73
Jaye
--
Wishing you well
Pimpernel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Pimpernel »

Re: Hams using Linux in the Shack

Hi all, I've been running Mint on a Lenovo TCtr since about 2015. A couple of days ago, I upgraded my Mint 19.3 to Mint 20. It took me a while to find the right info to do an upgrade. Also, the upgrade took several hours since I had downloaded many lib files from 3rd party sites - which is frowned upon in terms of keeping Mint pristine. These had to be downgraded which was a time consuming process. I'm still learning. My shack is not fully functional so I don't have rig control operating yet. I do have 'gpredict' operating on my Dell laptop, works very well as a sat tracking package. Oh, and I've been playing with SDRs (I have an RTL-SDR and an ADALM Pluto).

For Linux Ham related stuff I recommend - Kevin Loughlin KB9RLW "The Old Tech Guy" on YTube. Lots of reviews re ham software especially for Raspberry Pi.

For Linux in particular, see Learn Linux TV with Jay LeCroix.

I'm still a newbie wrt Linux, but I've managed to break a lot of stuff as well as set up a home NAS (TrueNAS Scale) and am working on a couple of other servers. I don't use Docker or Kuber whatsit as my Lenovo is not geared up for it and I have to be selective around what's important for me to learn to use. Been teaching myself Python as well as started on C recently. Too many distractions, so little time. Then again, the aliens in Arrival said "there is no time"; cryptic, maybe.

Hope this helps. If you have a query that you want me to look at, let me know. I can't promise I can solve your problems but am always happy to offer my humble opinion.

Bill
VE1WPS
spaarks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by spaarks »

There are a few Amateur Radio programs in the repositries. I haven't tried any yet. Not all are listed in the rpoository eg I've tried APRS spots which I downloaded as a .deb file and it works fine. I'd particularly like to see some other propo programs.
I've not been active for many years but recently bough a QRP Xiegu transceiver but have only managed one QSO - on a loop antenna.
A big problem with Linux you need to use command line a lot. It has become much better in recent years, but still puts a lot of people off. Last time I used it was in the days of PC-DOS.

Denis
GI3TAC/AF7CC
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a_hippie »

spaarks wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:16 am I'd particularly like to see some other propo programs.

A big problem with Linux you need to use command line a lot. It has become much better in recent years, but still puts a lot of people off.

Denis
GI3TAC/AF7CC
Hi Denis

Not sure what propo programs are . .

Let me invert your final statement: I great thing about using Linux is I CAN use the command line :)

Not sure why you are forced to use a command line, or why that would be a burden. Typically, Mint is point and click like most operating systems in the wild. I often prefer to use command line since it's faster and uses the least amount of resources on my aged x61 think pad with 4gb RAM.

Jaye
--
Wishing you well
spaarks
Level 4
Level 4

Post by spaarks »

Propagation.
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a_hippie »

Oh my! I'm red-faced now. :oops: I was thinking some kind of Pro -- Professional something!

I haven't really used such software. Would be cool to have something available though!

Tnx & 73
Jaye
--
Wishing you well
cosmo1stgen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cosmo1stgen »

Hello to fellow hams. I dipped in here based on a reply to my current post where I have some audio issue with my current Mint setup. If you can chime in with any info much appreciated. Look for my topic farther down in this forum (Problems with Pipewire/wire plumber after an update). But thought I would share my current linux setup with fellow hams. I am on the air quite a lot in the evenings. I run 100 percent linux though I am having an issue with Mint at the moment. Setup is

Pihpsdr for use with homebrew hermes/apache board
cqrlog
fldigi
js8call
freedv
Carla for ESSB audio
qsstv

All of this is running at the same time tied together with hamlib. Audio is routed to all of the digital mode programs simultaneously via virtual audio on receiver 1. Receiver 2 is dedicated to voice modes. This when setup on linux is flawless. Rarely any problems. I get on 7.199 sometimes and participate in ESSB also DX on 20 meters and use PSK31 and Olivia a fair amount. QRZ see KK6DZB for shack pics.

Ryan
Last edited by SMG on Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added link to topic referenced.
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a_hippie »

Hi Ryan,

I have zero experience with your audio setup but it sounds really cool. SMG on your original post seems like they are sending you into a search to ensure you are using 100% Pipewire/wire plumber and not pulse.

I have read elsewhere that pulse will go away completely in upcoming releases and I think Ubuntu & Redhat are leading that drive. I don't recall what they were calling the new audio control software. I read lxer.com daily, and these updates are mentioned. I hope it is a smooth and swift transission once that time/release happens since most of us here are extremely dependent on alsa & pulse for our digital software and interfaces with our radios.

Really cool you are doing work there and I hope you will share your experiences with us!

In the mean time, I am behind on posting updates on another subject :)

Tnx & 73

Jaye
--
Wishing you well
a_hippie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by a_hippie »

I use "pat" for WL2k. Once I updated to the current Mint release, pat & ardop (the modem software) stopped working. I had the latest software of pat & ardop. When trying to connect, the radio would transmit first packet then remain locked in transmit. I posted several messages to the pat group (pat-users@googlegroups.com) as I attempted to find a fix. So far, I am now limited to using telnet, which means the software is basically useless during an emergency.

Recently, some hope on the horizon. I'll paste that msg here at the bottom. Much work is still happening on pat which is great. The ardop(c) software modem however needs some developer help and I hope we can find a software hacker that could pick-up the slack there. Fingers crossed!

It was suggested the newest of kernels might help. I found another article on lxer.com giving short directions to installing the 6x kernel that is supported by Ubuntu. I followed the instructions and then tested pat&ardop with it. No joy. Then I learned how unstable the 6x kernel was later that day as it would hard crash my laptop during a zoom session.

I decided to reinstall the current Mint 5x kernel and REALLY ran into a quagmire with apt. I didn't log my steps but at least apt presented a bright red page of WARNING--if you do this, there will be no functional kernel on your computer--are you SURE you want to proceed! :)

Gosh, I stopped there and resorted to the Mint update software. At first it refused to install the 5x kernel, but by closing, then re-opening update manager, I finally was able to convince it to remove the 6x kernel and install the original kernel. Once done, I did a reboot. Once the OS was running the update manage again said there were updates. The update then brought me the current updated stable Mint kernel.. THANK YOU!

Zoom and the word processor no longer cause a hard crash.

So I won't try updating a kernel until Mint has a new Mint kernel ready :)

Now the post update on pat:

Re: pat + ardop = fail FYI
Quick follow-up - I've had some success :)

So I've been struggling to get a working P2P setup, using the latest ardopc (1.0.4.1qBPQ) built from source (ARDOPProjects.zip). I tried various --leaderlength values, different architectures, different kernels... with limited success. All this using the snd-aloop (alsa loopback device).

Just as I was about to give up, I tried one last attempt setting the -L flag ("use left channel of soundcard for receive in stereo mode"). Suddenly the two ARDOPc instances decodes most frames :)

I've confirmed this on both kernel: v4.19.0 and v6.1.0, both amd64 and i386 systems. Running "ardopc 8515 $DEVNAME $DEVNAME --leaderlength=200 -L" appears to be working fine, at least with the loopback sound device. I have yet to test this using real hardware on-air.

--
73 de LA5NTA / Martin
torsdag 8. juni 2023 kl. 08:20:52 UTC+2 skrev LA5NTA:

Yes, me too. Unfortunately there is not much we (the pat devs) can do, as the issue is with ARDOPc and the kernel.

Does anyone know if John is working on a resolution?

I know some have had partial success using the 32-bit binary and some asoundrc and --leaderlength sorcery, but that's not a long term solution IMO :/

--
73 de LA5NTA / Martin

tor. 8. jun. 2023, 01:55 skrev MJ Inabnit <ke6...@arrl.net>:

I continue to hope that we will soon have a functioning pat & ardop.

Today I installed the OEM 6x kernel: 6.1.0-1013-oem

There is no difference from the 5.17x that Mint/Ubuntu ships.

I tested ardop64 & ardop_64 & pat. One locks PTT the other is
worthlessly deaf :(

Tnx & 73
j
--
Wishing you well
Out-of-Ashes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Out-of-Ashes »

Hello Jaye,

Sadly, I miraculously maintain a win-7 machine in the shack for some of my favorite apps, especially Begali ~ CW Machine... here it will be up to Ulrich to jump into the game which would end my last tie to Microsoft. I am no programmer and would have little influence promoting a jump to Linux for him.

I believe, as others have said, it would be the developer that would need to engage the opportunity to capture an additional, yet small market to capitalize on.

To the Overlords of Linux Mint Forums... I would certainly engage in a dedicated forum for HAM enthusiasts, which of course, have pioneered the concept of open source long before Linus was even born.

73 to all!
Paul~K6PLE
Almost over Windows. BeeLink Mini, 16MB ram, 500GB working SSD drive, added 1TB internal SSD storage(surprised me!), Mint 20.3[/s]
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you sure can maintain a win-7 machine in the shack for some of your favorite apps,
but the issue then comes with having to upload your log file to LOTW
or when you want to run WSJT-X and you have to be on-line to do those things.
:arrow:

these days, an Linux based machine can do almost, all of the usual stuff,
that an 21st century HAM would wish to achieve.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
N0WYO
Level 1
Level 1

Post by N0WYO »

I was wondering if there were any hams on this board, then someone pointed me to this thread. I would be nice to have a ham radio section on the forum.
I recently moved from Windows to Mint and have had a problem setting things up Flrig won't initiate at all in user mode, but if I run it as an admin everything works great. I've checked my permissions, dial access, usb connectivity and permissions and I can't find a reason for this.

EDIT BY MODERATOR

Code: Select all

It would be nice to have a ham radio section on the forum
this particular Topic is as close as it will get, to being an Ham Support Area.
Last edited by Pierre on Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replied to thought by Forum Member.

Return to “Software & Applications”