Linux Mint 21 “Vanessa” Cinnamon released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
TinMan1325
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 21 “Vanessa” Cinnamon released!

Post by TinMan1325 »

SMG wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:46 pm The Edge versions came out because by the time LM20.1 was released, enough time had passed there was new hardware which would have problems with the 5.4 LTS kernel that LM20 had. Also, by then an HWE kernel had been released.

Ubuntu 22.04 just came out in April with its 5.15 LTS kernel. I would not expect an HWE kernel until the fall release of Ubuntu which means there is no "edge" kernel currently available to create an edge version of Linux Mint.
Oh I see. Thank you

I really do not understand the numbering with the kernel. It seems 5.4 is older than 5.15? But .4 is a higher number than .15, so shouldn't .4 be the newer one? .4 of something is 40% of it, .15 is only 15%. Am I missing something?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

TinMan1325 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:12 pmI really do not understand the numbering with the kernel. It seems 5.4 is older than 5.15? But .4 is a higher number than .15, so shouldn't .4 be the newer one? .4 of something is 40% of it, .15 is only 15%. Am I missing something?
It is a naming convention; it is not math.

The number to the left of the . is the kernel series. The LTS kernel for LM19 is the 4.15 kernel. That is a 4 series kernel. The kernels in LM20 are 5 series kernels.

The number to the right of the . is a sequential number that rises as new version are released. 15 is a bigger number than 4. That means 5.15 is a newer kernel than 5.4.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
TinMan1325
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TinMan1325 »

SMG wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:19 pm It is a naming convention; it is not math.

The number to the left of the . is the kernel series. The LTS kernel for LM19 is the 4.15 kernel. That is a 4 series kernel. The kernels in LM20 are 5 series kernels.

The number to the right of the . is a sequential number that rises as new version are released. 15 is a bigger number than 4. That means 5.15 is a newer kernel than 5.4.
Ah ha, very good then. Thanks

I guess I'll go ahead and install 21 then
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

HarryHouTX wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:02 amWeather applet (weather@mockturtl) works fine here even on a live USB.
Not with Mint 21 Cinnamon: forecast parsing failed. With the same weather provider that has no issue in Mint 20.3.
Lost Dog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lost Dog »

So....

What happened to opening a new window at the cursor location? I use the terminal a lot and would right click, select "Open in terminal" and that's where it would open. Now it shoves it in the upper corner of the screen.

Used to be part of the window options under the behavior tab under "Location of newly opened windows".
Infidelus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Infidelus »

I just wish there was a 'remember' setting for where an application was when you closed it. It's one thing that bugs me, especially as I have two (different-sized) monitors. Things open on the wrong screen or near the top-left as you've mentioned no matter how often I drag them to the centre of my main screen. Bugs the **** out of me ;)
Gaming exclusively on Linux since 2017. Windows can suck it!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator notes:
1) This is a release announcement topic. While it is fine to remark about differences you are seeing in this version and prior versions, if you are having specific issues with the release, please create a new topic for your issue in the appropriate support section of the forum. Announcement topics are not for resolving issues.

2) Discussion about home encryption was removed from the topic and can now be found here fscrypt versus ecryptfs for home encryption.
Nikolai5
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Nikolai5 »

TinMan1325 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:24 pm
SMG wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:19 pm It is a naming convention; it is not math.

Ah ha, very good then. Thanks

I guess I'll go ahead and install 21 then
Also, worth noting that Kernel "series" makes it sound more than what it is. They literally increment the "series" number when the version numbers start "getting too big" so that they "don't get confused by big numbers".
There are no major differences between one to the next. For example, they are considering starting Kernel 6.0 just because the 5.### numbers are getting too big. Nothing to do with the features.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Nikolai5 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:19 am They literally increment the "series" number when the version numbers start "getting too big" so that they "don't get confused by big numbers".
And with "they" literally being Linus Torvalds sitting in his bathrobe behind his development machine in his home-office yawning and scratching himself.

As in, yes, don't take kernel versions numbers too seriously.
wujastyk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wujastyk »

Cosmo. wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:32 am
Snapping has been silently removed, one of the regressions in LM 21 Cinnamon. Sadly not one word about that in the changelog. ...
Not "silently." It's stated in the Release Notes. No need to be sad any more.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

wujastyk wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:42 am Not "silently." It's stated in the Release Notes. No need to be sad any more.
Really? Show it. If I do a search in the relevant sites (announcement, release notes, new features) the search bar gets red after entering snapp in Firefox.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:00 pm Really? Show it.
Alternatively you could expand on what the definition of "snapping" is that you refer to.
Linux_cat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Linux_cat »

This was actually my first Linux experience, which was very smooth (besides I have to reinstall again for the network drives), I am very satisfied with my current setup, everything feels so snappy and fast for an old 4gb ram, 7th gen core i3 and an old hdd pc.♥️
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You are too late. I did it already only 2 days ago: viewtopic.php?p=2208201#p2208201; in this thread.

Besides that, a strange comment. Somebody claims, that removing of the feature is allegedly stated in the Release, but this is obviously not true. Usually a person, who claims something, has to provide the proof.
Redsandro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Redsandro »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:01 pm a strange comment. (...) obviously not true.
Let's argue in good faith. Wujastyk probably thought you were talking about the removal of snaps/snapd. I did too. We all saw it in the release notes:
Snap Store
The Snap Store is disabled. For more information on this or to re-enable it read https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... /snap.html.
My second guess was you were talking about the new "automated system snapshots running in the background" specfied in what's new.

Third, snapping can also mean to screenshot with the screenshot tool. Snapping is a pretty ambiguous term. It makes sense people get confused when you don't specify what you mean.

Then there's also the tile and snap mode feature when dragging a window to the sides. Are you talking about that? Is that what's removed?

Edit: Shortened the quote.
Last edited by Redsandro on Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
🤘 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio.
Ninite-killer. 1000+ packages.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:01 pm Besides that, a strange comment.
Not really. It is obvious that the person assumed that you were talking about Snaps but rather than simply say that you were instead referring to window snapping or linking back to that post you feel the need to go full-on pedant with the "snapp", double p, hint alone. That kind of useless dragging out of nothing can at times just really, really annoy me -- so that's where the comment stemmed from.

Now, if it was not in fact obvious to you that poster interpreted your remark as being about Snaps I'll retract the above, but I rather doubt it. In that case the moderator who will moderate out me squabbling with you about it in this announcement thread will retract it in 3... 2... 1...
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Redsandro wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:49 pm
Cosmo. wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:01 pm a strange comment. (...) obviously not true. Usually a person, who claims something, has to provide the proof.
Let's argue in good faith. Wujastyk probably thought you were talking about the removal of snaps/snapd. I did too. We all saw it in the release notes:
Snap Store
The Snap Store is disabled. For more information on this or to re-enable it read https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedoc ... /snap.html.
Snaps were removed in Linux Mint 20. Here are the Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon Release Notes.

Removal of snaps is not new in Linux Mint 21.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Also in good faith:

It was not me, who started this discussion, but apawelec in viewtopic.php?p=2208183#p2208183. This user also showed a screenshot from the windows settings, as they exist in 20.3. How much clearer can this get explained? Even inexperienced users should be able to look at a picture. It is obviously the mistake of those, who answer about a topic, but do not fully read about it.

After this post I answered to this, with a link to the post by apawelec. More clearly showing, about it goes, is not possible. (Or somebody must demonstrate this.)

Then came AZgl1800 and asked, what I mean with snapping.

I replied with a second explanation. viewtopic.php?p=2208201#p2208201 Everybody, who can read, sees at once, that neither snapd or anything else was meant.

So I explained it 2 times. I cannot do something about it, if people reply without reading. Even more, if some people subordinate, I would write about snapd; also this was already not existent in LM 20, as SMG pointed out. So it is for everybody clear, that I cannot write about snapd, if I write "what in 20.3 Cinnamon is offered".

But even if we would for a moment hypothetically assume, wujastyk would be right in the assumption, it would go about snapd: It takes only a minute to find out, that his/her claim, that removing snapd would be stated in the Release Note, is completely invented.

If such replies have anything to do with "good faith" is questionable.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Cosmo. wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:16 pm But even if we would for a moment hypothetically assume, wujastyk would be right in the assumption, it would go about snapd: It takes only a minute to find out, that his/her claim, that removing snapd would be stated in the Release Note, is completely invented.
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_vanessa_cinnamon.php
Snap Store

But I assume we're now at the vewyvewy important, not obvious at all distinction snapd / snap store?

Anyways -- yes, mod, I'll go :)
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

No wonder, that a search for snapd gives a zero output.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”