Linux Mint 21 “Vanessa” Cinnamon released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Mint 21 “Vanessa” Cinnamon released!

Post by SMG »

Dan-cer wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:20 am You can put any link here, right? Possibly only goes with button:
Please do not post unofficial sources of information. They will be removed.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
gunfleet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gunfleet »

Dan-cer wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:20 am You can put any link here, right? Possibly only goes with button:

https://<blocked blogspam>/linux-mint-20-3-u ... qus_thread

when I used the proper tags it was blocked as spam as you can see just google Linux 9 to 5
https://www.skyportradio.com Icecast2, butt 0.1.18, Clementine and Mixxx
gunfleet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gunfleet »

SMG wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:22 am
Please do not post unofficial sources of information. They will be removed.
Well it is quite a reputable site, but it was a GUI upgrade and it worked, I have no wish to promote other blogs, I just got fed up with waiting, had a free morning and decided to risk it, seems ok so far, know doubt it will crash and burn at some stage :D
Dan-cer
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Dan-cer »

Are they always to be removed? Often we find important solutions in other Linux forums or developer forums.
I like it to show the source instead of pretending it be my "solution".

What about the link I posted here: viewtopic.php?p=2210447#p2210447
How you get better results when searching for yourself.
gunfleet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gunfleet »

Dan-cer wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:29 am Are they always to be removed? Often we find important solutions in other Linux forums or developer forums.
I like it to show the source instead of pretending it be my "solution".

What about the link I posted here: viewtopic.php?p=2210447#p2210447
Yes that works fine, the link from your other post I mean, mine had the blog spam removed notice
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Dan-cer wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:29 am Are they always to be removed? Often we find important solutions in other Linux forums or developer forums.
Those sources are not generating review from selling products, services or page views. Please review the Forum rules.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: Post promoting unofficial upgrade information has been removed. Please wait for the official announcement from the Linux Mint Development team.

Topic temporarily locked while under review.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: Topic unlocked. Announcement for upgrade tool can be found here How to upgrade to Linux Mint 21.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator note: Moved comment about upgrade tool experience to the announcement topic for the upgrade tool now that that topic exists. Please place future posts about general comments/experiences with the upgrade tool in the announcement topic for the upgrade tool. This topic is the announcement for the LM21 Cinnamon ISO.
thenerdyguy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by thenerdyguy »

It messed up MegaSync and when I tried to reinstall it, it throwed dependency errors.

Reverted back.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

thenerdyguy wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:26 pm It messed up MegaSync and when I tried to reinstall it, it throwed dependency errors.

Reverted back.
A fresh install of Mint 21 messed up MegaSync? This announcement topic is for the Mint 21 Cinnamon ISO.

If you mean you upgraded from LM20.3 to LM21 and re-installing MegaSync did not work then you probably meant to post that in the How to upgrade to Linux Mint 21 topic.
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mattlach »

Hmm.

Doesn't look like much of significance changed. Mostly minor stuff.

Lol. Why even bother with a post-it note package? That's just bloat. As is continuing to install Thunderbird by default, when very few people use local email clients anymore.

Bluetooth is important I guess, but I don't use it.

One thing I would wish for Mint is to allow automation things that may be unwanted to be automatically removed.

Ideally anything and everything with automation that reaches out beyond the local machine (except maybe the DHCP client grabbing an IP address) should be disabled by default. Warpinator, IPP, Bluetooth, you name it. At the very least there should be options to easily disable these things.

In fact, I'd like to be able to easily disable lots of things I don't want. For instance, I would prefer Flatpak (or snaps or AppImage either) doesn't get snuck in on my system. I want all of my packages through apt, in perpetuity.

I presume since it was not mentioned in the release notes, Mint decided to forgo Wayland, which is now the default for the first time in an LTS release in Ubuntu 22.04
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: AMD EPYC 7543(32C/64T), SuperMicro H12SSL-NT, 512GB RAM, 192TB ZFS
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mattlach »

rdfuhr wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:55 pm When will the upgrade tool become available, for upgrading from 20.3 to 21? I have been checking this forum and checking the blog and have seen no mention of the specific time frame. I agree that the upgrade tool should not be released until the developers have made sure that it is ready.
I never understand people who rush to upgrade to the latest release.

Just because 21 is available doesn't mean 20.3 is any less good. It is still supported for a long time.

It's better to take your time, let any issues resolve themselves, and upgrade later.

In software (and by extension operating systems) being "first" is rarely of any value, and usually causes more problems than it is worth.
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

mattlach wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:07 pm I never understand people who rush to upgrade to the latest release.
Because we love to ruin everything, for a few minutes of enjoying the latest bling-bling. :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz5se4M41ZU

But seriously: the Ubuntu code base (22.04) of Vanessa, has already shed its worst teething troubles. So the risk of an early adoption is minimal. Especially when you do a fresh clean installation.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

mattlach wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:04 pm As is continuing to install Thunderbird by default, when very few people use local email clients anymore.
Apparently, you did not see this topic A poll about how many of us use Thunderbird.
mattlach wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:04 pm I presume since it was not mentioned in the release notes, Mint decided to forgo Wayland, which is now the default for the first time in an LTS release in Ubuntu 22.04
And Ubuntu is still ironing out problems with Wayland. It's only the default for certain types of installs.
jackkileen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jackkileen »

mattlach wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:04 pm Hmm.

Doesn't look like much of significance changed. Mostly minor stuff.
Lol. Why even bother with a post-it note package? That's just bloat. As is continuing to install Thunderbird by default, when very few people use local email clients anymore.
Bluetooth is important I guess, but I don't use it.
One thing I would wish for Mint is to allow automation things that may be unwanted to be automatically removed.
Ideally anything and everything with automation that reaches out beyond the local machine (except maybe the DHCP client grabbing an IP address) should be disabled by default. Warpinator, IPP, Bluetooth, you name it. At the very least there should be options to easily disable these things.
In fact, I'd like to be able to easily disable lots of things I don't want. For instance, I would prefer Flatpak (or snaps or AppImage either) doesn't get snuck in on my system. I want all of my packages through apt, in perpetuity.
I presume since it was not mentioned in the release notes, Mint decided to forgo Wayland, which is now the default for the first time in an LTS release in Ubuntu 22.04
Mint in general, doesn't seem to be your "cup of tea". Have you explored other distro's that might be more in tune for your preferences?
My search, so far, hasn't found anything I'd leave Mint for.
MINT: 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4_Kernel:6.5.0-15-generic - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor × 16
MX LINUX: KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.5_Kernel Version 6.1.0-17-amd64 (64-bit): X11
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I would prefer Flatpak (or snaps or AppImage either) doesn't get snuck in on my system. I want all of my packages through apt, in perpetuity.
Then use the old school Synaptic Package Manager (which I prefer) instead of the Software Manager, heck you can uninstall Software Manager and flatpak after it if you so desire. flatpak versions of software actively need choosing by you, snapd is already disabled by default in Mint and you won't get appimage applications installing behind your back either.

As others have already stated though, perhaps you'd be better off elsewhere. Namely Arch where you can start from scratch and build the system up the way you like it.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

mattlach wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:04 pm As is continuing to install Thunderbird by default, when very few people use local email clients anymore.
Are you talking about Mint at all?
The far majority of Mint users use Thunderbird, obviously do not know about what you write.
Automatic activation of Warpinator did never and still does not exist. So again, about which distro did you dream?
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Cosmo. wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:12 am So again, about which distro did you dream?
Seems like a misguided rant by a troll the more I look at it. I'm aware they aren't exactly a new Linux Mint user or forum member but even so, to be that far wide of reality is astonishing.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mattlach »

SMG wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:47 pm Apparently, you did not see this topic A poll about how many of us use Thunderbird.
Interesting. I did not expect that. This is not a scientific poll, but still shows that Thunderbird has more use than I expected based on my own anecdotal evidence.

That said, I'd still argue that operating systems were better when they were a blank slate with very few or even no applications pre-installed, and each user installing what THEY used, rather than having a pre-selected ecosystem selected for them.

Having the desktop environment and all the settings apps pre-installed certainly makes sense. Maybe even having a browser pre-installed does, but personally I would prefer that this is where we'd draw the line, and after that I could choose what else I want to install, instead of having to hunt and uninstall packages every time.

For some funny reason Thunderbird locales and laguage packs always seem to survive even after removing Thunderbird and doing an autoremove cleanup :p
SMG wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:47 pm And Ubuntu is still ironing out problems with Wayland. It's only the default for certain types of installs.
Yep, this was not a complaint, just an observation. I'm looking forward to Wayland, but not at the expense of overall desktop reliability. It would be nice to be able to have video outputs across multiple GPU's on the same desktop like Windows has for decades.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”