Linux Mint 21 “Vanessa” Cinnamon released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
wujastyk
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 21 “Vanessa” Cinnamon released!

Post by wujastyk »

wujastyk wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:42 am
Cosmo. wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:32 am
Snapping has been silently removed, one of the regressions in LM 21 Cinnamon. Sadly not one word about that in the changelog. ...
Not "silently." It's stated in the Release Notes. No need to be sad any more.
Yes, as @Redsandro said, I understood you to be talking about the Snap infrastructure. I apologise for misunderstanding your remark, @Cosmo.

Best wishes everyone,
Dominik
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Snapping has been silently removed, one of the regressions in LM 21 Cinnamon
Please...sincerely..tell me that is a joke. Or that " snapping" doesn't meant Window snapping....as in win logo button + arrow keys to move and snap windows to any of the sides and corners of the screen just like in Windows 10. That is one of the main thing I most often use...daily in LM Cinnamon and why I chose and continue always sticking with it and coming back to it from trying other distros.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

wujastyk wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:33 pm Yes, as @Redsandro said, I understood you to be talking about the Snap infrastructure. I apologise for misunderstanding your remark, @Cosmo.
Accepted Dominik.

But did you ever read the word snapping in context with Snap?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

motoryzen wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:24 pm
Please...sincerely..tell me that is a joke. Or that " snapping" doesn't meant Window snapping....as in win logo button + arrow keys to move and snap windows to any of the sides and corners of the screen just like in Windows 10. That is one of the main thing I most often use...daily in LM Cinnamon and why I chose and continue always sticking with it and coming back to it from trying other distros.
Pitifully you understood it right and I did not make a joke.
LM 21 Cinnamon has 2 silently done regressions, this is one of them.

The good news: LM 21 has nothing, what I call a killer feature and 20.3 is supported for nearly 3 more years. So no need to upgrade. (I myself will do this only in a virtual machine and only for testing the upgrade tool, when it has landed.)
apawelec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by apawelec »

There was two modes - tiling and snapping. If you mean tiling - it is still available. What was removed is snapping - if you have, for example, two maximized windows, and snap one of them (move to side with ctrl button holded), the other window will automatically be snapped on other side (both windows will take half screen). If you resize snapped window, the other window size will be automatically adjusted and so on. It's really useful feature and probably quite unique in regular, non-tiling Linux window managers. For me personally it is reason to skip Mint 21, but I really hope it will be re-implementent in one of next point releases... (maybe dev team just doesn't have enough time to add it in new Muffin version).
Last edited by apawelec on Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

apawelec wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:47 am
There was two modes - tiling and snapping. If you mean tiling - it is still available. What was removed is snapping - if you have, for example, two maximized windows, and snap one of them (move to side with ctrl button), the other window will automatically be snapped on other side (both windows will take half screen). If you resize snapped window, the other window size will be automatically adjusted and so on. It's really useful feature and probably quite unique in regular, non-tiling Linux window managers. For me personally it is reason to skip Mint 21, but I really hope it will be re-implementent in one of next point releases... (maybe dev team just doesn't have enough time to add it in new Muffin version).
What about using the Super Key (formerly known as the Windows key) and the arrow keys to move windows to one side or the other or up and down?
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
apawelec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by apawelec »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:18 am
apawelec wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:47 am

There was two modes - tiling and snapping. If you mean tiling - it is still available. What was removed is snapping - if you have, for example, two maximized windows, and snap one of them (move to side with ctrl button), the other window will automatically be snapped on other side (both windows will take half screen). If you resize snapped window, the other window size will be automatically adjusted and so on. It's really useful feature and probably quite unique in regular, non-tiling Linux window managers. For me personally it is reason to skip Mint 21, but I really hope it will be re-implementent in one of next point releases... (maybe dev team just doesn't have enough time to add it in new Muffin version).
What about using the Super Key (formerly known as the Windows key) and the arrow keys to move windows to one side or the other or up and down?
Of course you can do it that way, but whole idea of snapping is doing this automatically for you. And if resize one of these windows, the other will stay intact. I realize that this isn't absolutely must-have feature for most users, I'm just saying about my personal preferences.
Last edited by apawelec on Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Or in short: This is no snapping.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Cosmo. wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:47 am Or in short: This is no snapping.
Ik snap er niks van. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Please...sincerely..tell me that is a joke. Or that " snapping" doesn't meant Window snapping....as in win logo button + arrow keys to move and snap windows to any of the sides and corners of the screen just like in Windows 10.
I'm enough of a non-GUI person that I frankly still have no idea what this is about but I saw a YouTube review someone linked here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnEo_rkamqQ, and I take it then you are not talking about the annoying window flipping stuff at 3:00? Is it only a then supposed keyboard vs mouse method? Or...?
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Another feature removed from Cinnamon is Windows --> Buttons feature, allowing to add to titlebar such buttons like shade, stick. Now it's called Button Layout with limited functionality. It was 'silently' removed from LM 19.3 but the original options were available in the dconf database and it was possible to customize buttons with such command as

Code: Select all

dconf write /org/cinnamon/desktop/wm/preferences/button-layout "'menu,shade,stick:minimize,maximize,close'"
In LM 21 this possibility disappeared.

-=t42=-
rdfuhr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rdfuhr »

When will the upgrade tool become available, for upgrading from 20.3 to 21? I have been checking this forum and checking the blog and have seen no mention of the specific time frame. I agree that the upgrade tool should not be released until the developers have made sure that it is ready.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

'menu' seems to be still available; it now lets a hamburger icon appear.
But the other 2 options are obviously gone.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

rdfuhr wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:55 pm When will the upgrade tool become available, for upgrading from 20.3 to 21?
The update tool is always available later than the release--weeks later not days later. It has been less than a week since LM21 was released.

When the tool is available, the information will be posted on the Linux Mint blog. Asking about it here will not make that release happen any faster. This is a user forum where users help other users.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Chrysolite Azalea
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chrysolite Azalea »

SMG wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:05 pm
rdfuhr wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:55 pm When will the upgrade tool become available, for upgrading from 20.3 to 21?
The update tool is always available later than the release--weeks later not days later. It has been less than a week since LM21 was released.

When the tool is available, the information will be posted on the Linux Mint blog. Asking about it here will not make that release happen any faster. This is a user forum where users help other users.
I wonder, can Linux Mint be updated the way Debian is usually updated (by replacing the 20.3 repositories with 21 repositories), without using the Mint update tool?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

This is not recommended, be prepared to fall in trouble.

If at all, do a Timeshift snapshot at first. Otherwise you can get into the situation, where you need to reinstall
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Chrysolite Azalea wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:35 amI wonder, can Linux Mint be updated the way Debian is usually updated (by replacing the 20.3 repositories with 21 repositories), without using the Mint update tool?
The Linux Mint developers would know the best way to properly update Linux Mint and they have never recommended doing what you suggested doing.

Why do you think they are spending all the time and effort to create an update tool if all that is needed is to just switch repositories (as you propose)? That does not seem logical to me.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Sorry to sound like I'm ganging up on that person here mentioning the idea of doing what Debian does to do an update on the OS version, but smg has proven herself well on this site and provided solid help to many across a variety of problems.

What she said makes sense in my opinion the same way that I'd rather trust Honda who built and designed my car to know more about my car than I would overall and not try to go around them when it came to any major design changing things unless they, Honda, provided the changing tool.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
mcroger
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mcroger »

Chrysolite Azalea wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:35 am
SMG wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:05 pm

I wonder, can Linux Mint be updated the way Debian is usually updated (by replacing the 20.3 repositories with 21 repositories), without using the Mint update tool?
Some have done it here for instance, but at your own risks. :-)
Mac Pro1 2006 x5355 - Nvidia GT1030 - ATI 5770HD Mac Edition- 16 GB, dual boot Mint 20.3 / Mac OSX El Capitan
Mac Pro2 2006 x5355 - Nvidia GTX470 - 12 GB, dual boot 20.3 / Mac OSX El Capitan
Macbook Air mid-2011 i7 - dual boot Mint 21.1 / Mac OSX Catalina
jackkileen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jackkileen »

mcroger wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:52 am Some have done it here for instance, but at your own risks. :-)
''Some" might be overstating a bit after looking at all the less than successful attempts in the replies :)
MINT: 21.3 Cinnamon 6.0.4_Kernel:6.5.0-15-generic - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor × 16
MX LINUX: KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.5_Kernel Version 6.1.0-17-amd64 (64-bit): X11

Return to “Releases & Announcements”