CLI radio players?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
contained
Level 1
Level 1

CLI radio players?

Post by contained »

Are there more command line radio players like tera and pyradio?
Edit: I've tried pianobar in the past, but recently it fails to authenticate, so it doesn't work.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: CLI radio players?

Post by t42 »

I'm using cmus with my own .m3u

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install cmus
man cmus
man cmus-remote
also another ncurses based player, moc, start it with mocp

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install moc
mocp
-=t42=-
contained
Level 1
Level 1

Post by contained »

Very cool, thanks.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

t42 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:27 am [...]
I've been using MoC (Music on Console) for many years, but I've never known you can browse radio stations like that; how did you pull that off? That's awesome. Perhaps it's a feature in a new release. Which version are you using? Mine's 2.6-alpha3, which, from looking on the website, looks to be the latest development release, so I presumably have this feature. I couldn't find anything about 'radio' in the man page, or anything which suggests a way to browse the stations like in your image. I wrote a custom theme and have a bunch of custom settings I've used for years, so perhaps that's blocking something.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

it is 1:2.6.0~svn-r3005-1 from Ubuntu universe repository, not updated since bionic.
Still it is not the feature but playing .m3u with a list of radiostreams. My private list includes 250 stations but you can take a longer one from VLC ice-cast directory.
-=t42=-
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

t42 wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:31 pm [...]
Oooh, I did suspect that in the back of my mind, but your list looked so 'legit', like it was part of the program. :lol: Nicely done. Thanks for explaining. I'll have to hunt down some good .m3u files. I can't believe I've gone all these years not knowing about this awesome feature! I even wrote a super-basic tool to play a radio station I like, via MPlayer. :roll:

Ah, looking at your image again, you have the Playlist pane! No wonder it looked alien to me. This is what mine has looked like for years:

image.jpg

Sorry for the blurriness; it's a squished mostly-fullscreen image to save faffing about with some image-sharing website. It's a bit better when clicked.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”