Linux Mint 20.2 random crash

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Didier_33
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 20.2 random crash

Post by Didier_33 »

Some news: I have seen several Flatpak updates related to Nvidia 470 driver, but I continue to get system freeze, +/- every 2 - 3 days, not related to a specific activity (sometimes while screensaver display). I'm now a maniac of the 'save' command so as not to lose my work...
But today I decided to try again an update from 470 to 525 driver version ... and it works !
I'll let you know if that fixes the problem or not ...
There is nothing more dangerous than the certainty of being right.
Didier_33
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Didier_33 »

Unfortunately I had another system 'freeze' today. So the 525 driver is not the solution.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Considering how long this has been happening, I'm starting to think there might be a hardware component issue, but I don't have any ideas what it might be.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Didier_33
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Didier_33 »

Yeah, I'm starting to think the same thing...
Didier_33
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Didier_33 »

News: FYI, each year I archive the files of interest (mainly photographs) on 100 Go BDXL Blu-ray M-Disc. The process take several hours / disc. Due to the probability of 'freeze' during the process I decided to move my external LG DVD writer to my laptop.
Since I have disconnected this device from my main computer, i.e. now 11 days, I did not encounter any freeze... This is by far the longest period without problem since several months.
It may be yet too early to conclude that this device was the source of the problem ... but maybe yes.
I'm not ready yet to reconnect the DVD writer, just to see if the trouble comeback...
Then the question would now be: why this equipment is causing this problem...?
Have a nice day!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Didier_33 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:41 pm News: FYI, each year I archive the files of interest (mainly photographs) on 100 Go BDXL Blu-ray M-Disc. The process take several hours / disc. Due to the probability of 'freeze' during the process I decided to move my external LG DVD writer to my laptop.
Since I have disconnected this device from my main computer, i.e. now 11 days, I did not encounter any freeze... This is by far the longest period without problem since several months.
This is not the first time I have heard of a connected drive causing issue on an installation. It may not even be the disc drive itself, but the issue may be its connection to the computer. Maybe it is pinging the system a lot?

If that is it, it would explain why the Linux Mint version did not seem to make a difference.
Didier_33
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Didier_33 »

My DVD burner was not to blame, as I had 2 freezes while it was not connected.
I now think of another potential cause: my computer is dual booting. I very rarely use Windows 10 for certain applications that have no equivalent in Linux. I've learned in the past that there's a special way to shut down Windows so it doesn't stay active in the background. Could it be possible that if once I didn't use this "true" shutdown method, there could be a conflict between Windows and Linux??
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Didier_33 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:32 amI now think of another potential cause: my computer is dual booting. I very rarely use Windows 10 for certain applications that have no equivalent in Linux. I've learned in the past that there's a special way to shut down Windows so it doesn't stay active in the background. Could it be possible that if once I didn't use this "true" shutdown method, there could be a conflict between Windows and Linux??
Here is How to turn off fast startup or hybrid sleep in Windows. You can check to see if you have it turned off.
Didier_33
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Didier_33 »

It's now 2 weeks since I changed the Windows setup to turn off the fast startup / hybrid sleep ... and no freeze occurred ...
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Didier_33 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:00 am It's now 2 weeks since I changed the Windows setup to turn off the fast startup / hybrid sleep ... and no freeze occurred ...
That's good news. That setting can affect hardware states as well as the file system.

Return to “Other topics”