ESET Sysrescue is a Linux killer.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RFH
Level 4
Level 4

Re: ESET Sysrescue is a Linux killer.

Post by RFH »

Pjotr wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:16 am
RFH wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:12 am Would you recommend any security software at all for Linux, like VPN ect.? If so what would you recommend?
Thank you for your help. RFH
You might find this article interesting, that I've written about security in Linux Mint:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... urity.html
How great, thank you very much Pjotr! Have a good day/evening.
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

RFH wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:12 am
Would you recommend any security software at all for Linux, like VPN ect.? If so what would you recommend?
I would not call a VPN a security item, but is a privacy item, hiding your true identity, or IP address from sites you visit.
I have found a VPN to be handy on a couple occasions, one to access a parts catalog in another country, where I could not access otherwise, and once to get on this site as the "normal" channel to the site had a downed server 'sucuri' error of some sort.

Recommend, stay away from the promo sites. Have good, and complete backup, you can recover from ANY disaster with good backup, without it you simply can't. It is as simple as that.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
RFH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RFH »

rickNS wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:32 pm
RFH wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:12 am
Would you recommend any security software at all for Linux, like VPN ect.? If so what would you recommend?
I would not call a VPN a security item, but is a privacy item, hiding your true identity, or IP address from sites you visit.
I have found a VPN to be handy on a couple occasions, one to access a parts catalog in another country, where I could not access otherwise, and once to get on this site as the "normal" channel to the site had a downed server 'sucuri' error of some sort.

Recommend, stay away from the promo sites. Have good, and complete backup, you can recover from ANY disaster with good backup, without it you simply can't. It is as simple as that.
Thank you very much Rick. When I started with Linux I spent a lot of time trying to figure out which backup to use. At the moment I only use Timeshift and I made an image with foxclone (which I haven updated since the beginning ;-) )
Which methods/apps do you use for the regular backups?
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

RFH wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:43 pm
A very KISS method which is fool proof, and you can recover one file, or all.

Show hidden files, select all, copy and past into a dated folder such as lm21-230328 on another drive.
I actually back up my large folders separately, (Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos) the same way or by rsync which keeps the main backup relatively small. With the large folders backed up separately my 'main' backup is only about 5GB, and only takes about 2 minutes over USB3 or eSATA. So there is no excuse not to do it.

This is exactly my last backup before I upgraded this machine to Mint 21.

Code: Select all

4.9G	/media/rick/omega/lm19-230305
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
RFH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RFH »

rickNS wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:20 pm
RFH wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:43 pm
A very KISS method which is fool proof, and you can recover one file, or all.

Show hidden files, select all, copy and past into a dated folder such as lm21-230328 on another drive.
I actually back up my large folders separately, (Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos) the same way or by rsync which keeps the main backup relatively small. With the large folders backed up separately my 'main' backup is only about 5GB, and only takes about 2 minutes over USB3 or eSATA. So there is no excuse not to do it.

This is exactly my last backup before I upgraded this machine to Mint 21.

Code: Select all

4.9G	/media/rick/omega/lm19-230305
Thank you very much Rick. I forgot :-), I am also using a NAS drive. So synology drive is syncing my files real time. But wonder how you manage to get the backup that small. Guess these are only the core files and no data files?

Return to “Beginner Questions”